PDA

View Full Version : Car Query?

connieb19
01-Dec-06, 01:19
I was wondering if anyone knows what pecentage of the book price a car is if it had been written off by an insurance company(category d) and then repaired again before being sold? Is it worht buying a car that's been repaired or are there too many problems with insurance ect?

melted_wellie
01-Dec-06, 01:33
i wouldnt go near a cat d write off, your right, too much hassle with insurance, but if your getting it cheap enough it might be worth it, iv got an old combine that im looking to shift if your interested.

connieb19
01-Dec-06, 01:36
i wouldnt go near a cat d write off, your right, too much hassle with insurance, but if your getting it cheap enough it might be worth it, iv got an old combine that im looking to shift if your interested.
I might be interested if it's a bonny colour and I need a sunroof, oh and some nice seatcovers would be good too. :)

melted_wellie
01-Dec-06, 01:40
its massey ferguson green, and open topped, youll get a bonny good suntan sitting up yon height. Good tyres too.

Bill Fernie
01-Dec-06, 01:52
Couple of links to help -

http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=1100048689&tstart=0&mod=1164196239264

http://www.mycarcheck.com/help/guide/accident-write-off.html

Unless you really know what you are doing or have expert advice handy it would appear best to leave them alone. If you decide to buyone best advice seems to be to check with your insurance company before going ahead with any purchase of a damage vehicle.

I remeber there have been attempts to make it illegal for insurance companies to sell on vehicles written off due oto the cloning problem but as recycling is big part of the industry it seems it will go on.

"Let the buyer beware" seems the most apt here.

johno
01-Dec-06, 23:53
I was wondering if anyone knows what pecentage of the book price a car is if it had been written off by an insurance company(category d) and then repaired again before being sold? Is it worht buying a car that's been repaired or are there too many problems with insurance ect? hi connie, if the car is less than 1yr old you should get a full replacement. after that time it depends on what the condition,mileage & age of the vehicle was proir to being totalled. unless you have a garage with all facilities & the capabilities to do panel beating, welding ,spraying it is seldom worth bying the salvage back as the costs are really astronomical. usually best to just give it a body swerve. if you buy back the wreck the ins co will deduct the salvage price from you anyway cutting into your profit margin.
dont mean to discourage you. but from personal experience it,s seldom worth the bother. hope this help,s you. any how good luck.
:Razz

Saxo01
02-Dec-06, 00:03
after having a look online at the car its not a right off but would appear to have had a shunt up the rear hence the new bumper & tailgate, Its still 500 above bottom book connie to be honest id avoid as the 2nd hand value of these cars aint to good as it is

johno
02-Dec-06, 00:19
hi connie, if your vehicle was under one year old you would normally get a new replacement. after that first year it depends on the condition of the car before the crash.i/e mileage ,age ,general condition overall. unless you have acess to a garage & and the capabilities to weld, panel beat & spray paint yourself [ not having to pay some one to do these things] the costs are astronomical. i would advise you to give the wreck a body swerve, cat d wouldnt touch it. the ins co will deduct the price of the salvage cutting into your profit margin . having had some experience myself i wouldnt recomend getting involved. a lot more hassle than its likely worth plus there is always some hidden aspect that you will not see untull you start stripping out the vehicle. then there is the resale factor, it will always be noted on the reg doc. hope this is of some help to you. anyway ,whatever you do best of luck to you
:eek:

connieb19
02-Dec-06, 00:42
Thanks for the replies and pm's. It's a car I saw and being female I liked the look and colour of it but I think I'll take the advice given and stay clear of it. It's a lot of money to spend on something I havn't a clue about. Better safe than sorry. :)

Saxo01
02-Dec-06, 01:07
aye stick to your pink roller skates :lol:

johno
02-Dec-06, 12:57
Thanks for the replies and pm's. It's a car I saw and being female I liked the look and colour of it but I think I'll take the advice given and stay clear of it. It's a lot of money to spend on something I havn't a clue about. Better safe than sorry. :) hi again Connie , i misread your posting , i thought that this was your own car that you had written off & that you were fixing on buying it back from your own ins co to repair your self. it,s always risky buying a vehicle that has been bent.
reckon that you,r doing the right thing by taking a few steps back.
good luck with the car hunting.

:)