PDA

View Full Version : A New Word

golach
27-Jul-12, 09:36
heard this being discussed on the radio today, What is a "Scolympian" ?

Ash87
27-Jul-12, 10:19
Just a guess... but possibly a Scottish person participating in the olympics?

pmcd
27-Jul-12, 10:19
"Not quite an Olympian" - i.e. someone selected for, and consenting to join their national side, and then refusing to sing its National Anthem in front of the whole world. Gosh, that takes courage - not.

RecQuery
27-Jul-12, 11:36
"Not quite an Olympian" - i.e. someone selected for, and consenting to join their national side, and then refusing to sing its National Anthem in front of the whole world. Gosh, that takes courage - not.

Sounding more and more like the Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179523/London-2012-Olympics-Fury-Welsh-Scots-snub-National-Anthem.html). All this despite the fact the commentators managed to call the team England several times.

equusdriving
27-Jul-12, 11:45

yes I think its whats known as "wanting their cake and eating it" not commited enough to refuse to compete but hypocritical enough to make a pathetic token gesture

joxville
27-Jul-12, 12:31
Bring on independence then Scotland can host the games without English input or English media bias. 2032 anyone?

squidge
27-Jul-12, 12:35
Its a clumsy made up word by a politician to identify scots competing in a Great Britain Team. You can probably have welympians and niolympians too. It has given those people sitting in their armchairs watching sportsmen and women who have worked hard to achieve the place on the team an excuse to sneer and be all self righteous about something which doesnt matter instead of focusing on the performance of those competing. Its a typically british pastime - build people up and knock them down again.

equusdriving
27-Jul-12, 12:39
Bring on independence then Scotland can host the games without English input or English media bias. 2032 anyone?

yes and McDonald's certainly wont be needed to supply the chips will they, as it seems there is already to many for the shoulders that are here

golach
27-Jul-12, 12:48
Its a clumsy made up word by a politician to identify scots competing in a Great Britain Team.

And the clumsy politician is who Squidge? :lol:

squidge
27-Jul-12, 13:08
OH MY GOODNESS golach it was ALEC SALMOND. I have to change my ENTIRE approach to my political viewpoin t because of this - I am sooooooooooo glad you brought it to my attention - I mean - how on earth could a man who has made up a silly word like scolympians be any use at being the first minister or even organising a referendum. If fact it should just be handed over to westminster to decide without a referendum as David Cameron and George Osborne are doing SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well at the economy - they would never ever do something as stupid and thoughtless as alec Salmond did with scolympians - heavens - I might just have to vote NO after all. :roll:

golach
27-Jul-12, 13:15
Lol Squidge, it just goes to show that not all politicians are perfect, but I will still be voting NO, I am not perfect either

Corrie 3
27-Jul-12, 13:21
In keeping with the Tory system of governing.............here's another twit who has dropped yet another clanger!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19011788

C3............:roll:;)

Corrie 3
27-Jul-12, 13:28
Heres one for you............
What does the word........"Unticketed" ......mean to you?

It appears to be causing some confusion at the Limpicks.

C3.........:eek:

Beat Bug
27-Jul-12, 14:14

We already have our own Highland Games!

Mystical Potato Head
27-Jul-12, 14:28
yes I think its whats known as "wanting their cake and eating it" not commited enough to refuse to compete but hypocritical enough to make a pathetic token gesture

No its called having the freedom to choose.This isnt bloody North Korea is it?

More to the point,there have been countless players witnessed not singing their national anthem at the start of football matches and nobody bats an eyelid but
when its Scots involved then it becomes an issue.

Well here are 3 English players not singing the same National Anthem . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRA4N0ZsYug&feature=related
So if its ok for the English not to sing the National Anthem when representing their country then its ok for anyone else to do likewise.

equusdriving
27-Jul-12, 18:47
[
Mystical Potato Head;966222]No its called having the freedom to choose.

that's completely true but that doesn't stop it being hypocritical

More to the point,there have been countless players witnessed not singing their national anthem at the start of football matches and nobody bats an eyelid but when its Scots involved then it becomes an issue.

no the issue is if its not sung because of some anti British sentiment, that's not been voiced when the places in the squad were given in the first place

So if its ok for the English not to sing the National Anthem when representing their country then its ok for anyone else to do likewise.

who said it was OK for the English not to sing the National Anthem when representing their country? and it most certainly wouldn't be if it was because they were anti Britain

I think they should make chip carrying an Olympic sport, because i think that we would clean up with some of the contenders we have around here

focusRS
27-Jul-12, 19:19
If or when we go independent we will be able to sing what we want if there will be a team Scotland in the Olympics but until then we are team GB. You are under no obligation to sing the anthem if you dont want to, i dont sing at funerals and weddings as i feel a right twonk and I am sure it will be the same for some Olympians but to make it a political stand belittles the years of training and any success they may achieve. It takes me back to the childish antics of Barry Ferguson and Alan Mcgregor sitting on the bench for our national football team.

joxville
27-Jul-12, 19:24
I don't have a chip on my shoulder regarding the English, I was being sarcastic, (check my location), and just to clarify the point, I've lived in Hampshire since 2002 and have never been on the receiving end of any anti-Scottish sentiment, I have two sisters married to Englishmen and many good friends and colleagues here. It's a shame I can't say the thing about my countrymens attitude towards the English, I know several who have been verbally abused when visiting Scotland on holiday, it shames us all.

ducati
27-Jul-12, 22:51
I think it must be killing Salmond and his cronies that the Olympics is a force for pulling the UK together instead of tearing it apart.

Phill
27-Jul-12, 23:07
No its called having the freedom to choose.This isnt bloody North Korea is it?Depends on the flag.

oldmarine
28-Jul-12, 17:38
heard this being discussed on the radio today, What is a "Scolympian" ?

Never heard or saw that word before, but then the newer generations continuously come up with new words that I don't know or understand.

golach
28-Jul-12, 20:07
Never heard or saw that word before, but then the newer generations continuously come up with new words that I don't know or understand.

oldmarine, a glory hunting politician thought this word up, a very clumsy attempt in my opinion.

RecQuery
31-Jul-12, 10:34
I think it must be killing Salmond and his cronies that the Olympics is a force for pulling the UK together instead of tearing it apart.

See most people I talk to or follow online are either indifferent to the Olympics or downright dislike it. I was wondering it was a generational thing.

ducati
31-Jul-12, 21:32
See most people I talk to or follow online are either indifferent to the Olympics or downright dislike it. I was wondering it was a generational thing.

That makes no sense. It is younger people that compete. Every time I see crowds of spectators they tend to be younger. Maybe it is a geek thing.

Green_not_greed
31-Jul-12, 22:46
Actually its spelled skolympian. Its a very, very fast seagull........

ywindythesecond
31-Jul-12, 23:13
oldmarine, a glory hunting politician thought this word up, a very clumsy attempt in my opinion.

I actually chuckled when I heard it for the first time. Inventing the word is the only thing Alex Salmond has ever done to bring me any pleasure. Hopefully he will go on to invent other amusing words like "schonest" and "scsincere".

RecQuery
01-Aug-12, 01:00
That makes no sense. It is younger people that compete. Every time I see crowds of spectators they tend to be younger. Maybe it is a geek thing.

Possibly, though I do try to step outside that group for stuff like this. I'm cognizant of it with my frame of reference stuff. Possibly a political leaning thing also.

theone
01-Aug-12, 01:34
Total non story for me.

As for the Scots/Welsh not singing the national anthem, watch the next Scotland/Wales/England football match.

Some people don't sing shocker...........

ducati
01-Aug-12, 07:42
Possibly, though I do try to step outside that group for stuff like this. I'm cognizant of it with my frame of reference stuff. Possibly a political leaning thing also.

I tend to not go with the crowd. (I didn't like Dances with Wolfs :eek:). But with our world the way it is now, when any event can bring most of it together for a common purpose, I see it as a good thing. So when some tinpot would be dictator is scared of it because it distracts from his agenda, that is a good thing too.

squidge
01-Aug-12, 08:11
There are a couple of stories about the olympics which have made me a little uncomfortable. The first one was this
http://www.channel4.com/news/cyclists-arrested-in-games-public-order-crackdown
and the second one was this http://www.channel4.com/news/cyclists-arrested-in-games-public-order-crackdown

I have loved the games though so far - watched the swimming and the mens team gymnastics was FANTASTIC. Loved the wee lithuanian swimmer who couldnt speak she was so surprised. The eventing was good although i only saw bits of it.

I havent seen any indication that the YES voters and organisers are scared of the olympics. I think they all would prefer to see a "Scotland" team but that does not detract from the excellence of those competing neither does not singing God save the Queen. Many people are not interested in it but that's their perogative - we dont all have to like the same things and rarely do thank goodness.

equusdriving
01-Aug-12, 13:43
OH MY GOODNESS golach it was ALEC SALMOND. I have to change my ENTIRE approach to my political viewpoin t because of this - I am sooooooooooo glad you brought it to my attention - I mean - how on earth could a man who has made up a silly word like scolympians be any use at being the first minister or even organising a referendum. If fact it should just be handed over to westminster to decide without a referendum as David Cameron and George Osborne are doing SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well at the economy - they would never ever do something as stupid and thoughtless as alec Salmond did with scolympians - heavens - I might just have to vote NO after all. :roll:

seems he wasted his time and effort http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/01/scottish-support-independence-falls_n_1727205.html

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-independence-poll-shows-support-for-uk-split-has-dropped-1-2442950

perhaps he should of used facts and figures to convert people