PDA

View Full Version : Roof of Bayview Hotel, Lybster

Oddquine
26-Jul-12, 03:49
Was reading elsewhere and mention was made of B&Q advertising their existence to heaven knows who with logos on the roofs of their stores...and I remembered when I first came here, the Bayview had HOTEL on its roof. Haven't noticed it lately, but then I haven't been looking....and it is too dark to check now....but I am convinced it did exist, even if it doesn't any more.

If I am right...........what was the point of it? Anybody know?

annemarie482
26-Jul-12, 08:48
Yes that's right, it's not the only hotel to have it, keiss hotel also has it and I'm sure there are many more.
The reason is quite obvious, to attract trade! They are very easily see from the main road and allows potential guests time to decide if they want to go look before they pass the end of road to it.
A quick and sure fire way of letting everyone know your a hotel at a quick scan of the scenery! lol

pat
26-Jul-12, 09:22
Last time I was up could still make out Temperance on Mackays Hotel roof facing the river.

Station Hotel in Wick - now the Riverside Nursing Home - had Hotel painted in very large letters on the side towards the river, cannot remember if it had station as well.

Cheap and easy way of attracting attention and advertising.

rogermellie
26-Jul-12, 09:32
if memory serves, Graham Beggs in Wick has 'laundry' on the roof, but my memory is pretty shot so i might stand corrected

pat
26-Jul-12, 09:46
G Beggs did have laundry or laundrette on the roof - it was a laundrette, one of the first with washers and driers for public use in Wick.

Oddquine
26-Jul-12, 11:48
Have to say never thought of it being visible from road. Must check next time I'm coming back into Lybster. Kinda thought "roof"= "from above".......and didn't think of "from a distance".

Thanks folks!

Corrie 3
26-Jul-12, 12:21
Have to say never thought of it being visible from road. Must check next time I'm coming back into Lybster. Kinda thought "roof"= "from above".......and didn't think of "from a distance".

Thanks folks!
At one time, the public conveniences in Dunbeath had " To Let" written on the roof !!! The sign writer was promptly sacked for not being able to spell!!

C3..................;)

George Brims
26-Jul-12, 19:21
And then there's that building near the South end of the Causewaymire that had "The Caithness Studio" on one side and "The Ca" on the other. Years, no decades have passed and still no-one has brought over that second tin of paint!

2little2late
27-Jul-12, 01:18
Perhap's S**thole should be painted on the roof of Wick town hall.

George Brims
27-Jul-12, 17:35
Actually Wick Town Hall is a very nice wee building. A long time ago I worked there for a week in place of the regular caretaker/dogsbody person who was on his hols. I seem to recall a lot of tea drinking but I can't think what else I did.
Or is 2little2late referring to the town as a whole?

Corrie 3
27-Jul-12, 18:50
Seen on the roof of Tesco in Wick....................

"We dont need Asda in Town"

All together..........."Oh yes we do"!!!!!

C3..................:roll:;)

billmoseley
27-Jul-12, 19:10
sorry but what time does tesco open

Corrie 3
27-Jul-12, 19:30
sorry but what time does tesco open
Look on the roof Bill, it's all up there along with this weeks special offers!!

C3.................:roll:;)

bluelady
29-Jul-12, 23:40
Was reading elsewhere and mention was made of B&Q advertising their existence to heaven knows who with logos on the roofs of their stores...and I remembered when I first came here, the Bayview had HOTEL on its roof. Haven't noticed it lately, but then I haven't been looking....and it is too dark to check now....but I am convinced it did exist, even if it doesn't any more.

If I am right...........what was the point of it? Anybody know? Aye it still does and can be seen by the main A99 so advertising it is there is the point

Dadie
29-Jul-12, 23:42
Mackays had temperance painted on it!

ducati
02-Aug-12, 21:57
I had Vacant painted on the top of my head for a while.