PDA

View Full Version : Bonfires?

Dadie
25-Jul-12, 23:42
2 of my neighbours are taking it in turns to burn stuff ....
They are unaware of the unwritten rule over washing out....and actually have washing out while they burn their garden waste.
Anything I can do?
Its making my garden a no go .................
And with 3 kids of my own plus the others that visit its not nice....barbeque everything in the house etc..and they set of my smoke detectors...

Bill Fernie
26-Jul-12, 21:23
First thing is to speak to your neighbours to see if you can get an agreement about when burning takes place. Have they considered alternatives to burning. It may not be illegal in Scotland to burn things but there are many other laws concerning nuisance and pollution. Best if you can sort it out with the neighbours to agree a good time to do it if they must. Some useful information at http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=42

Amicable agreements are best in this situation otherwise things can deteriorate to a long running neighbour dispute where no one wins - especially if the council, police, SEPA and other environmental bodies get involved.

First thing to do its to ask if they can perhaps burn in the evening late as possible once the washing is all in and the kids are back in the house. If officialdom is to get involved you will need dates. times and details of what is being burnt and perhaps more. Officials who would check this are not sitting waiting on this so may take while to start moving. Letters may start to roll after while. It could take long time to get anything done. A range of fines are in the long run possible if cases are proved although not for the fire necessarily but for infringements of certain environmental laws - like creating smoke or putting pollutants into the atmosphere. If its garden rubbish the council collects it in the brown bins. If it's is other rubbish like wood then it can be uplifted for a price. Garden rubbish is best composted and then returned to the garden a year later.

Again I return to the amicable agreement being the best solution for all concerned. Most people will do what's best when asked even if they did not think about it beforehand.

Scunner
26-Jul-12, 21:32
Contact SEPA