PDA

View Full Version : BBC Scotlands History

golach
30-Nov-06, 22:16
Did any .Orgers watch the final programme and do you agree with the Academics or the Public top ten.
I was with the Academics until I saw the Publics vote and I would have voted for their top ten
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/bb_wm_fs.stm?news=1&bbram=1&bbwm=1&nol_storyid=6136756

engiebenjy
30-Nov-06, 22:30
I have to say I didn't agree entirely with wither of them I was really disappointed that the entertainers didn't get in either of them.

Rheghead
30-Nov-06, 22:38
I prefer the expert's top ten (http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/scotlandshistory/vote/topten-panel.shtml) as it seems to reflect reality, it seems more logical to me, without the bar room passion, which can be seen in the Public's Top Ten (http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/scotlandshistory/vote/topten-viewers.shtml).

peter macdonald
30-Nov-06, 23:29
I prefer the expert's top ten as it seems to reflect reality, it seems more logical to me, without the bar room passion, which can be seen in the Public's Top Ten.
41 Minutes Ago 21:30

Which pubs are you going to where they discuss the "Scottish Enlightenment"???? In my very unbiased opinion it should have come top
Not in anyway trying to cause offense Rheghead (seriously) where did you hear of the "Enlightenment"??? Its was never taught in my schooldays as was the "Clearances" the "disruption" "John Maclean" and many other parts of Scottish history but we sure heard about William the Conquerer and Alfred the great . Many of the Scottish public just see "Braveheart" and thats about it .How many folks realise that Edinburgh was THE place to find the greatest thinkers ,economists and scientists in the world
Sad really

I have to say I didn't agree entirely with wither of them I was really disappointed that the entertainers didn't get in either of them.
I think Burns has given worldwide entertainment to millions over 200 years Can you get better???

golach
30-Nov-06, 23:41
Which pubs are you going to where they discuss the "Scottish Enlightenment"???? .How many folks realise that Edinburgh was THE place to find the greatest thinkers ,economists and scientists in the world
Sad really
Will have you know that The "Enlightenment" has been discussed in my local many times, I have just spent the whole summer telling Vistors as a Tour guide the delights of Edinburgh from the 9th Century through to our present day 21st Century, and the "Enlightenment" was always mentioned

peter macdonald
30-Nov-06, 23:53
Ach Gollach Im just going to the wrong places these days !!!!! Its like we undersell what Scotland is/was or in some way are ashamed of it Its good you are telling folks about this period ..maybe you need to come home and do some educating!!

JAWS
01-Dec-06, 03:12
I won't comment on the Top Ten Events because, having been educated south of the Border I don't have sufficient depth of knowledge.

What has surprised me is that I get the impression that things are not much better north of the Border when it comes to Scottish History being taught in schools.
I'm just wondering if that impression is correct because I seem to have heard the complaint on more than one occasion that the teaching of English History is more prevalent.

One thing which I find irritating is the affect that stupid film seems to have had. I was watching a documentary a couple of days ago about that period and was amazed to see that the 'fiction' had taken over from fact.

Even I am aware that "Braveheart" was a reference to the heart of Robert the Bruce. Now it seems that Scottish History is wrong and Hollywood right, William Wallace is now to be regarded as Braveheart.
I have no objection to the film as a ripping yarn but I really do wish that serious works on Scottish History would at least try to get it right.

peter macdonald
01-Dec-06, 09:24
Jaws I think it is better now but a lot of years ago (when I was at school) we were taught only a small proportion of Scottish history and that was mostly about the formation of Scotland and the reformation ie John Knox etc and bits about James Watt The clearances Adam Smith Red Clyde the enlightenment... no chance
What we did get was a lot about Walter Raleigh Drake etc
I beleive the kids nowadays get a lot more Scottish history and hopefully will be able to realise how rich Scotlands heritage is
Why we were taught like that ?? Well I would suspect as the education boards at the time consisted of the prysbeterian establishment who would be a little biased in certain matters (Alledgedlly!!!) Now thats only my opinion/theory
Braveheart is a hollywood movie and just another in a long line of distortions such as the recently made movie about Enigma , Pearl harbour , etc etc
As you say its a pity they could not have done it more accurately though