PDA

View Full Version : Levant Sparrow hawk, not visited this year

newweecroft
25-Jul-12, 20:01
Has anyone seen the Levant Sparrowhawk that visited in previous years? He was seen during the summers of 2007 through to last year, but we have not had the pleasure this year.

Mrs Sweetie
26-Jul-12, 00:31
Is this the bird you mean? He was sitting on my fencepost the other day, eating a chick.

Mrs Sweetie
26-Jul-12, 00:35
Hmm, why aren't the pictures appearing in the post.

Retrying :

newweecroft
26-Jul-12, 09:18
They are superb photos Mrs Sweetie but alass that is a female sparrowhawk.The Levant is not a resident nor should it visit on its migration but it has visited so often and hunted so close to our property that possative identification was possible by our selves and others in the local area.This is a Levant;http://www.avibirds.com/platen/Balkansperwerm.jpg

Mrs Sweetie
26-Jul-12, 09:44
Darn, I hoped I had found something special, although any bird of prey is special imho. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference irl although the illustrations do make the Levant out to be a heavier bird. What are the differences?

Thanks for pointing out that my bird was a female. I now know that the male is bluish and the female brown. :)

newweecroft
26-Jul-12, 20:48
Shockingly she has arrived! Just out in the garden and who should I see! Thanks to New optics this year I can now confirm it is a she. she is even lighter in colour than the illustration and yes she is probably 30-50% larger than our resident sparrow hawk female. It was lovely to see her swooping and diving along the gorse row and wall. I will try and capture her on camera.

Mrs Sweetie
27-Jul-12, 15:56
Shockingly she has arrived!

The power of the Org! :lol:

I would certainly like to see some photos if you are able to get any.

Mrs Bucket
28-Jul-12, 18:18
me too. thank you

newweecroft
28-Jul-12, 22:40
Will do, just wish I had an SLR, my camera only has 7x zoom