PDA

View Full Version : Vouchers

kwbrown111
30-Nov-06, 13:18
I see The Co-op in Thurso are now accepting Tesco & Somerfield money off vouchers from today.

unicorn
30-Nov-06, 13:19
hoe can they accept them when they are different stores?

zappster
30-Nov-06, 13:40
Thats a very strange one indeed!

kwbrown111
30-Nov-06, 13:59
They announced it over the tannoy and it is also on a poster on the door

Humerous Vegetable
30-Nov-06, 14:13
Pity there's never anything in there to spend them on.

angela5
30-Nov-06, 14:26
Pity there's never anything in there to spend them on.

How true, the co-op dividened is out today and it wasn't vouchers i recieved but a cheque, a little extra for tescos then.

unicorn
30-Nov-06, 14:58
I'm still waiting for a new co op card I didn't get one and my old one doesn't work so I won't have any dividend this time :(

henry20
30-Nov-06, 15:04
:lol: I got my dividend - in voucher form - a whole £1!! I never remember to take the card and just lately couldn't find it! It is now in a concertina shape after being stuck in the machine :roll:

Venture
30-Nov-06, 15:12
The Co-op in Wick are accepting them as well. If they are able to do this with Tesco vouchers how come they didnt issue them for the Co-op for all customers. After all they knew Tescos was coming. Maybe if you spend £50 the Co-op will give you 5p of a litre of petrol at Tescos as well.

angela5
30-Nov-06, 15:27
The Co-op in Wick are accepting them as well. If they are able to do this with Tesco vouchers how come they didnt issue them for the Co-op for all customers. After all they knew Tescos was coming. Maybe if you spend £50 the Co-op will give you 5p of a litre of petrol at Tescos as well.

The co-op is accepting tesco's vouchers :confused Why didn't they give us vouchers for £10 off every £30 we spend themselves.

Mizpah
30-Nov-06, 15:30
:~( It would seem as if they are feeling the effects of Tesco's already and will try anything to woo their customers back, but I some how feel that it will take more than this to do that. Yesterday was in Somerfields in Wick and there was only two or three people in it and the disabled parking area was empty, wonder where every one was?[disgust]

angela5
30-Nov-06, 15:34
:~( It would seem as if they are feeling the effects of Tesco's already and will try anything to woo their customers back, but I some how feel that it will take more than this to do that. Yesterday was in Somerfields in Wick and there was only two or three people in it and the disabled parking area was empty, wonder where every one was?[disgust]

They knew for sometime Tesco's was coming and didn't give out vouchers then, i think it's pretty mean of somerfield to only offer £5 off for spending £50.

cuddlepop
30-Nov-06, 17:32
Unicorn,I didn't get my new coop card either:( .Over here its the co op or the coop so your really lucky up there.Taking another firms money off vouchers reeks of desperation.
There is Somerfields but there's no parking.:~(

DarkAngel
30-Nov-06, 20:44
Yes its true..Coop in wick are accepting Tesco and somerfield money off vouchers! Its sad that its come to this tho..I mean i do like tesco but i will still do some shopping In the Coop, Some people also got their dividend vouchers in cheque form and in voucher form, Dont know why though!!!

henry20
01-Dec-06, 09:15
I can see why the co-op are doing it, I'm sure Tesco's never sent them a letter saying 'We are randomly selecting people to receive £10 off a £30 shop', so they can be forgiven for thinking that it was only Tesco's prices they had to compete with. I also know someone at my work who said she plans to shop in Tesco for 4 weeks while she has vouchers then head back to Co-op, so maybe they are being smart in their motives. I'm sure its not the first time that other chains have accepted vouchers that aren't theirs.

Dali
01-Dec-06, 10:07
I can see why the co-op are doing it, I'm sure Tesco's never sent them a letter saying 'We are randomly selecting people to receive £10 off a £30 shop', so they can be forgiven for thinking that it was only Tesco's prices they had to compete with. I also know someone at my work who said she plans to shop in Tesco for 4 weeks while she has vouchers then head back to Co-op, so maybe they are being smart in their motives. I'm sure its not the first time that other chains have accepted vouchers that aren't theirs.

Easy for her to say that now but after she has seen the the prices and range of items . I cant see her rushing back to Co-op .
Plus just like the petrol station they all seem to be able to do offers now Tesco is open. What about the many years before when they offered us nothing when they all had the monopoly on us.

DarkAngel
01-Dec-06, 10:10
Henry20 Ive also heard a few people that ive spoken too say that, Especially the older generation who said they went up a look to Tesco but it was just too big for them and that they will be back shopping at coop. I was in the coop for a pint of milk and some veg yesterday and to be honest it was quite busy. I hope the coop doesnt give up on their customers as they will be back!:)

henry20
01-Dec-06, 10:21
Easy for her to say that now but after she has seen the the prices and range of items . I cant see her rushing back to Co-op .
Plus just like the petrol station they all seem to be able to do offers now Tesco is open. What about the many years before when they offered us nothing when they all had the monopoly on us.

She had already been to Tesco's when she said it. She prefers the co-op.

Also, I don't believe that all Tesco's prices are cheaper. I was foolish enough to believe they were until recently and something I bought as a 'good deal' from Tesco's was cheaper in the Co-op! :roll: You win some, you lose some - no matter where you shop!

crashbandicoot1979
01-Dec-06, 11:27
I'm the same, I'll be sticking by the co-op too. Tesco has a bigger selection but I find it just too big, plus Tesco isn't cheaper for everything.

If places like the coop, the petrol station, mcallans etc are now offering deals/vouchers/20% off etc then it shows that they have risen to the challenge of Tesco arriving. Fair enough, its annoying because they ripped us off for years but it now means that Tesco has literally given us more choice in more ways than one. We can choose to shop there plus we can choose to take advantage of the offers our local retailers are giving us. A few months ago, we had the option of neither, so this way, everybody wins.

Spirit
01-Dec-06, 11:43
They knew for sometime Tesco's was coming and didn't give out vouchers then, i think it's pretty mean of somerfield to only offer £5 off for spending £50.

And they can only be used in the wick somerfields.

DarkAngel
01-Dec-06, 17:19
What can only be used in Wick Somerfields? :confused

pentlander
01-Dec-06, 21:42
Can we all get a bit of perspective. Of course some of the businesses in Wick and Thurso have been guilty of charging too much for too little. We all know who they are and it is our choice whether or not we spend our money there.

There are however a lot of great shops in both towns who have always done their best for customers and it is not fair to castigate them just because a major national chain has opened a massive store. Caithness is going to change as a result of Tescos and am for one am sure we will see both positives and negatives come out of this but at the end of the day it is just another shop nothing more nothing less.
There are far more important things in life. I am sick of it.
So speaks a lurker

angela5
01-Dec-06, 21:50
Can we all get a bit of perspective. Of course some of the businesses in Wick and Thurso have been guilty of charging too much for too little. We all know who they are and it is our choice whether or not we spend our money there.

There are however a lot of great shops in both towns who have always done their best for customers and it is not fair to castigate them just because a major national chain has opened a massive store. Caithness is going to change as a result of Tescos and am for one am sure we will see both positives and negatives come out of this but at the end of the day it is just another shop nothing more nothing less.
There are far more important things in life. I am sick of it.
So speaks a lurker

Yes we all know who they are and now we have a choice, do we continue shopping with them or go to tesco's for the same thing half the price.

pentlander
01-Dec-06, 21:52
Yes we all know who they are and now we have a choice, do we continue shopping with them or go to tesco's for the same thing half the price.
Exactly what are we getting half price?

angela5
01-Dec-06, 21:59
Exactly what are we getting half price?

Loads of things, kettles, toasters, what shop in Wick or Thurso has been able to sell these at £4? The last kettle i bought from a shop in Wick cost me £22 that was the cheapest. Hoovers, various household items, better selection of fruit and veg at a decent price, the list could go on, but i'll stop there or i'll be here all night.

unicorn
01-Dec-06, 22:01
Their cheap iron is great I got one last year and still going strong.

pentlander
01-Dec-06, 22:08
Loads of things, kettles, toasters, what shop in Wick or Thurso has been able to sell these at £4? The last kettle i bought from a shop in Wick cost me £22 that was the cheapest. Hoovers, various household items, better selection of fruit and veg at a decent price, the list could go on, but i'll stop there or i'll be here all night.

Lets get this straight. I had a conversation with a guy that buys electrical goods for a company in edinburgh who has three shops and considers himself a big company. Lets take your example of kettles. When placing his order he recons he may sell 20 -30 kettles per store per month he buys 70 kettles.

Tescos has 100's of stores and buys kettles direct from the chineses manufacturer by the 10's of thousands. Fair enough. They can sell them for less. That does not mean the guy I know has been robbing his customers, It is economies of scale. You may benefit from a £4 kettle and why not , I completely understand. All I am saying is dont expect your little guy to be able to come anywhere near Tescos for cheap far east manufacturered goods.

angela5
01-Dec-06, 22:14
cheap far east manufacturered goods.

I'm happy with my cheap £4 kettle it boils the same as an expensive one, my cheap £4 toaster pops up the same toast as an expensive one too. So i'm not bothered if it's far east manufacturered it does the job.:D

pentlander
01-Dec-06, 22:16
I'm happy with my cheap £4 kettle it boils the same as an expensive one, my cheap £4 toaster pops up the same toast as an expensive one too. So i'm not bothered if it's far east manufacturered it does the job.:D

I hope you are as happy when you are made redundant and your job is done by someone in Bombay. Because it is cheaper.

Alice in Blunderland
01-Dec-06, 22:46
Lets get this straight. I had a conversation with a guy that buys electrical goods for a company in edinburgh who has three shops and considers himself a big company. Lets take your example of kettles. When placing his order he recons he may sell 20 -30 kettles per store per month he buys 70 kettles.

Tescos has 100's of stores and buys kettles direct from the chineses manufacturer by the 10's of thousands. Fair enough. They can sell them for less. That does not mean the guy I know has been robbing his customers, It is economies of scale. You may benefit from a £4 kettle and why not , I completely understand. All I am saying is dont expect your little guy to be able to come anywhere near Tescos for cheap far east manufacturered goods.

Sorry to pull this argument apart Pentlander :D but a while ago I worked for a very busy very popular local shop in the high street who were offered goods for order at a great deal .The deal was the more you order the less you pay similar to your Tescos theory but on a smaller scale.The shopkeeper jumped at the chance and ordered masses of the product knowing that in time they would eventually sell. Did this saving ever get passed on to the customer ...No

Fair enough economies of scale, and not all shopkeepers are greedy but this local one was ,and still is in my mind.The goods sold for ten times what they were bought in for.If even a fraction of this saving had been passed on to the customer I would have thought better of them. :~( So in some cases yes this is the wake up call some of the local shops need.Not naming the shop or the goods as this will let everyone know who I am on about but just pointing out a fact which I am sure is not an isolated case.

pentlander
02-Dec-06, 09:36
Sorry to pull this argument apart Pentlander :D but a while ago I worked for a very busy very popular local shop in the high street who were offered goods for order at a great deal .The deal was the more you order the less you pay similar to your Tescos theory but on a smaller scale.The shopkeeper jumped at the chance and ordered masses of the product knowing that in time they would eventually sell. Did this saving ever get passed on to the customer ...No

Fair enough economies of scale, and not all shopkeepers are greedy but this local one was ,and still is in my mind.The goods sold for ten times what they were bought in for.If even a fraction of this saving had been passed on to the customer I would have thought better of them. :~( So in some cases yes this is the wake up call some of the local shops need.Not naming the shop or the goods as this will let everyone know who I am on about but just pointing out a fact which I am sure is not an isolated case.

Stop the press local business makes some money!!!
Tescos do this the whole time. Goods are continually bought at rock bottom.
I see where you are comming from however and there are times I have wanted to buy something particulary electrical in Caithness and seen the goods for sale over the RSP. I know I was about to be ripped off. The internet has proved my salvation.

I just cannot stand this saintly vision most people seem to have of this major retailer. They want you cash and they will crush all who stand in thier way. Now most people I guess could not care less.

Alice in Blunderland
02-Dec-06, 10:28
Yes ,I agree Tesco and the fact that they are increasing their share of the market more and more every year is something which can be seen as too strong but they seem to have got it right and are leading where the other stores are now playing catch up,however the other stores are starting to catch up if a little slowly( Sainsbury ).It can also be said that a lot of shoppers are led to Tesco because they can buy all they need under one roof and when money is tight which in a lot of cases it is ,they can provide cheaper goods.People cannot be pulled up for supporting a store which in turn is offering them more for their money.Even if it does seem to be giving them too much power.

Yes it would be nice if everyone had the financial security to be able to choose their shopping list according to their consceince instead of their budget, then it would be a whole different ball game.I for one will not pass the co op to go to Tesco if I only needed to buy a couple of small items( so long as they were available.... the bread saga )the drive out of town simply isnt worth it however ,for those more aware of how much is in their purse they will probably go to the store where its cheapest whether Tesco Sommerfield or Co-op at the end of the day its where the customer gets affordable satisfaction and choice that will win.;)

No need to hold the press for my simple story about one shop in the town we all know that no shop on the street is there for anything less than making a profit and it wouldnt be that interesting a read anyway as the Asda debate is much more exciting. :lol:

jay
04-Dec-06, 17:17
I bought a not very (well over £20 each)cheap stainless steel kettle and toaster from tesco about 18months ago - both are now all rusty and need replaced. bought lots of cheap T-shirts all of which shrunk in the first wash, however fine for holidays when you can just bin them, cheap shoes which snapped the first time worn and were too cheap to bother going all the way back to complain, in saying that I have also bought cheap jeans which were excellent, but I suppose basically you get what you pay for no matter where you buy it!