PDA

View Full Version : Experience on e-mailing your MSP?MP

JDY
21-Jul-12, 21:16
I've recently had a very unpleasant experience when e-mailing my MP on his website. The response, and extremely rude and insulting one, was it seems from his agent. It may be he has not been informed of the rudeness and incompetness of his agent. Has anyone else had a similiar problem?

secrets in symmetry
21-Jul-12, 21:22
My MSP replies via his agent too - which doesn't surprise me as he's as thick as two short planks. Unfortunately, so is his agent!

Seriously, emailing my MSP is a total waste of time. I think this applies to most SNP MSPs.

smithp
21-Jul-12, 21:27
At least you got a reply, I got no response from Lucky's office.

secrets in symmetry
21-Jul-12, 22:45
The reply was useless. He took the side of the SNP and LibDem councillors who were the cause of the problem in the first place!

I enjoyed voting out one of them in the Council elections in May. :cool:

wavy davy
21-Jul-12, 23:28
My MSP replies via his agent too - which doesn't surprise me as he's as thick as two short planks. Unfortunately, so is his agent!

Seriously, emailing my MSP is a total waste of time. I think this applies to most SNP MSPs.

My thoughts exactly.

poppett
21-Jul-12, 23:50
No such problems with John Thurso`s office. Snail mail, email or telephone calls all dealt with speedily, even if only to acknowledge the communication. I recently signed an online petition with my "Sunday name" and was recognised and a detailed personal reply arrived within days.

Have only used snail mail to deal with MSP`s but not recently. Did get appropriate replies within a reasonable timescale.

Green_not_greed
22-Jul-12, 00:36
I completely agree with Poppett. John Thurso's office deals with mail and email quickly and well. I find the rest to be a waste of time - in fact I don't know why we even bother with them.

Phill
22-Jul-12, 00:43
Got to agree, John Thirsa's office is top banana.
I did start an email dialogue with an MEP once, well, some of his famil... Research assistants who were useless and just started to ignore me. So I berated him for claiming Euro funds for lining his famil.... Researchers pockets and he finally replied to me, promised the earth and I never heard from him again.

Corrie 3
22-Jul-12, 10:48
Bit confusing here because so far it's been MSP, MP and Councillor mentioned.
Perhaps the OP would clear this up and name and shame so we all know who he/she is talking about!

C3............:confused:confused

squidge
22-Jul-12, 10:52
I emailed Frank Field when the government appointed him to look into Poverty at the start of this government. He isnt my MP and I am sure he had loads of people who were emailing him but I got a very considered reply which showed that he or his researcher had not only read my email but had thought seriously about the points that I made.

Do MPs and MSPs still have "surgeries" - I would take the reply you got and go along to where he/she is holding their surgery and discuss it face to face

Kodiak
22-Jul-12, 18:38
I have to agree that if you contact John Thurso you can be sure of a swift and pleasant reply. I have had to write to him on 4 occasions and each time I have received a Prompt and courteous reply.

JoeSoap
23-Jul-12, 13:32
Last time I bothered to email my MP was about the Digital Economies Bill (so 2010) to raise my concerns about the impact of the 'orphaned works' legislation on photographers. Got a stock answer including an attachment pre-prepared by lobbyists for the music industry explaining why my concerns about the legislation for illegal file sharers made me a virtual criminal.

When I replied to him to thank him for his answer but to suggest it wasn't actually an answer to any of my questions he got quite rude. He became even ruder following my email thanking him for his efforts (he didn't even turn up to the vote) but pointing out that the amendment was dropped despite him. I did probably deserve the response I got for that one ;)

As a side note, the amendment allowing the government to sell the copyright for your photographs if a company finds them online but can't [be bothered to] track you down was tagged on to the end of a completely unrelated Bill last month and became law without anybody even noticing.

JDY
23-Jul-12, 18:12
I have to agree that if you contact John Thurso you can be sure of a swift and pleasant reply. I have had to write to him on 4 occasions and each time I have received a Prompt and courteous reply.

Sadly this was not my experience. My comment did not obviously reach the person described. With reference to another response, perhaps it was the bottom banana who responded to my comments - admittedly not in favour of Lib Dem efforts.

wavy davy
23-Jul-12, 22:35

Agreed. I've contacted him several times and always had a good experience. The refreshing thing is that he isn't a slave to his party ideology, unlike our MSP.

Oddquine
24-Jul-12, 14:10
Sadly this was not my experience. My comment did not obviously reach the person described. With reference to another response, perhaps it was the bottom banana who responded to my comments - admittedly not in favour of Lib Dem efforts.

Suppose it depends on how the comment is worded.

Only ever contacted John Thurso once....to ask him to support Early Day motion 295 on ATOS...but I admit, I did kinda berate his party for blithely going along with Tory excesses and pretending that they'd have been worse if there had been no LibDem amelioration of effect. Said that wasn't quite the same as having principles and sticking to them.....or words to that effect!

Had neither acknowledgement or reply.......but notice he hasn't signed the motion......though four Libdems (and no Tories) have so far.