PDA

View Full Version : For all those shooters out there

crichton
21-Jul-12, 11:23
Hi.

For all those shooters out there - the Countryside Alliance have a public affairs campaign going on with the EU, re their meddling with lead shot & ammunition, and getting serious evidence before they take action, rather than just support a ban because it is fashionable.

This link :-

http://campaign.publicaffairsbriefin...e-f54a2403cf6b (http://campaign.publicaffairsbriefing.co.uk/emailsupport.aspx?cid=28d54059-db76-48fd-a7be-f54a2403cf6b)

is really easy to do, as it does the work for you, and if you are so inclinded all you need to do is add your name and address.

It then sends the email to any MEPs, that are linked to your Postal Code. You will receive automatic replies re the process with comments on lead shot.

Again, if you are really interested, reply back saying that you are also concerned with restrictions on lead ammunition.

C

Alrock
21-Jul-12, 13:03
So...

What are these alternatives & why are they no good?
How much is the average lead shot cartridge & what would be the effect on the price of these alternatives?

These & many more questions need to be answered before I'll put my name to the petition.

ducati
21-Jul-12, 13:41
Ban all private gun ownership-simples

crichton
21-Jul-12, 18:54
Hi
thanks for replies. The post is intended for those who know the pros and cons of shooting cartridges and ammo and invites you take part in the petition if you see fit.

C

Alrock
21-Jul-12, 19:52
Hi
thanks for replies. The post is intended for those who know the pros and cons of shooting cartridges and ammo and invites you take part in the petition if you see fit.

C

Why?

Do you doubt your ability to provide a cohesive rational argument capable of convincing anyone without a vested interest in shooting, the merits of lead shot over other alternative projectiles?

secrets in symmetry
21-Jul-12, 19:54
You're supposed to leave it to the experts, Alrock. You know, those experts that allow the public to have guns that they can use to shoot children on Norwegian islands and cinema-goers in Denver.

smithp
21-Jul-12, 20:30
I think Canada has a higher gun rate per person than the US yet they don't have these incidents. So the problem may be cultural. I think our gun laws are pretty good, most deaths caused by illegal firearms.

secrets in symmetry
21-Jul-12, 20:33
As far as I know, the claim that "Canada has a higher gun rate per person than the US" is not correct.

EDIT I don't know how reliable this is, but Wikipedia's figures are here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country).

cptdodger
21-Jul-12, 20:54
I think Canada has a higher gun rate per person than the US yet they don't have these incidents. So the problem may be cultural. I think our gun laws are pretty good, most deaths caused by illegal firearms.

From the BBC News Website - "In the 60 days leading up to the cinema attack, Mr Holmes legally bought four weapons at local gun shops - an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, two .40-calibre Glock handguns and a 12-gauge Remington shotgun.

Chief Dan Oates of Aurora police said he also purchased more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition on the internet, including 3,000 rounds for the assault rifle, 3,000 for the Glocks and 300 for the shotgun."

There you go - legally bought. It's just a pity Americans can't get past the fact they think it's their god given right to own firearms, so are quite happy to hand them out to any lunatic that wants one, or in this guys case four. Until they change their Constitution, this will happen again and again.

smithp
21-Jul-12, 21:24
I did'nt say America's gun laws were good or make any reference to the legality of firearms in relation to death in the US.

George Brims
22-Jul-12, 08:22
I did'nt say America's gun laws were good or make any reference to the legality of firearms in relation to death in the US.
Neither ye did, son. But as you can see from the replies above, maybe this week is not the time to go propounding any kind of pro-gun stance.
And while I'm on here, you're just going to have to get used to the idea of using slightly more expensive shot. And if you fish, slightly more expensive lead weights. The world moves on.