PDA

View Full Version : BBC Coverage of the Olympic Games

Kodiak
20-Jul-12, 21:36
If you have SKY TV, no matter what Package or even no Package at all, BBC are going to have a great coverage of the Olympic Games.

Not only will the Games be Shown on BBC 1, BBC 3, BBC 1HD & BBC HD, they will have from the 23rd July 24 NEW Channels and this will enable them to show all the games Live no matter what sport interests you.

As well as HD and SD BBC Olympic Games channels, you can access the BBC Olympic Games coverage by pressing the red button on your Sky remote when you're watching on any BBC channel (BBC1, BBC3, BBC One HD and BBC HD or the extra 24 channels) and search by your favourite sport to find out what's on. Depending on the type of Sky set top box (SD or HD), either standard definition or HD content will be selected automatically.

All the Channels will be FREE and you do not even require a Subscription to SKY. All you need is a SKY Box and a satelite dish.

The Channels will be from 450 upwards.

If you have 3D then Eurosport will be showing the games in 3D.

The Paralympic Games will be shown by Channel 4 and they will have 3 NEW Channels for this.

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/your-tv-channels-extras/olympics/index.html?search_omni=search-article-sslc

jimbews
20-Jul-12, 22:13
All the Channels will be FREE and you do not even require a Subscription to SKY. All you need is a SKY Box and a satelite dish.

Or ignore the Murdoch Empire and go for FreeSAT:
http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?cID=1221

gleeber
20-Jul-12, 22:31
Well done the BBC. It makes up in part for all the other sports they have lost the rights to over the years. At least for a few weeks it will.

oldmarine
20-Jul-12, 23:05
Thank you Kodiak and gleeber. It's good reading your comments.

ducati
21-Jul-12, 09:32
Well done the BBC! I would happily sell my wife and all my children to pay the licience fee!

RecQuery
23-Jul-12, 07:41
I thought one of the whole points of the BBC was to make programming that wasn't commercially viable or wasn't being made by anyone else. This is just another indication of them moving away from their remit.

secrets in symmetry
23-Jul-12, 23:33
Part of the BBC remit:
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/about/how_we_govern/purpose_remits/nations.pdf)

3. Bring people together for shared experiences.
The BBC should broadcast individual programmes that bring together
a very wide range of people – for example, great state occasions,
important national sports events and high-quality entertainment.

George Brims
23-Jul-12, 23:41
And how is providing all that Olympic coverage, which must cost a fortune, commercially viable? The only way they are making money is by being the "host broadcaster" for all the non-UK networks.

dx100uk
24-Jul-12, 00:23
all the extra channels will also be on freeview

dx

joxville
24-Jul-12, 01:29
And aren't the BBC promoting it at every opportunity, even giving air time for an extra half hour of Beastenders, I want to be educated, entertained and informed, not suffer more of that shite. Not bloody happy.

billy5000
24-Jul-12, 03:01
I think il pass on that tripe!

Shame we will be bombarded with nothing but this over inflated sports event for the next few weeks(+highlight reviews and again with discussions)

God sake! if tv could get worse it would take some real effort......

This is one event that the whole country will be paying for into the next 50yrs!

As if it wasnt enough paying for the goverment to take us up the rear to pay back THIER overinflated wages they afford themselves, and the banks doing the same plus the beeb aswell!(nothing new though)

and they decide to take it off the people who are struggling already so they dont have to raid the change jar at thier mansions.

So if i dont seem extatic about the games(zzzzzzzz)then please forgive my ignorance while i remember where i put the wallet so i can continue to pay for this event AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and once more!, using the tv license fee!!(maybe they could show some heart and reduce the fee while they show the games since we will have paid for it already 10 times over in taxes to recoop the cost of this extravagance!.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

secrets in symmetry
24-Jul-12, 09:43
all the extra channels will also be on freeview

dxI doubt that's possible - Freeview doesn't have the bandwidth for 24 HD channels.

IIRC Freeview will broadcast the Olympics on BBC1 HD and BBC HD, BBC3 will broadcast 24/7, there will be a new red-button channel, and perhaps one or two more channels.

BBC Olympics 1 through 24 are already up and running (in both HD and SD). Right now, they're broadcasting the football timetable with some stirring music as background.

In my opinion, it's an awesome cultural achievement, and it's not too bad technically either. I look forward to the Olympics.

RecQuery
24-Jul-12, 09:48
I doubt that's possible - Freeview doesn't have the bandwidth for 24 HD channels.

IIRC Freeview will broadcast the Olympics on BBC1 HD and BBC HD, BBC3 will broadcast 24/7, there will be a new red-button channel, and perhaps one or two more channels.

BBC Olympics 1 through 24 are already up and running (in both HD and SD). Right now, they're broadcasting the football timetable with some stirring music as background.

In my opinion, it's an awesome cultural achievement, and it's not too bad technically either. I look forward to the Olympics.

Freeview really has bad channel dispersion and bandwidth.

This gives me a sort of in to voice one of my concerns. I'm worried that the Olympics will massively impact the Internet, I don't mean just BBC iPlayer or whatever other service is streaming it but the Internet access and performance in the UK in general.

secrets in symmetry
24-Jul-12, 09:52
I'm worried about the internet too. IIRC all 48 channels will be available online - which I would imagine could potentially bring the net to a halt!

Kodiak
24-Jul-12, 14:10
Just to cheer all you Olympic Lovers up, the Olympics start tomorrow afternoon at 3.50pm in Cardiff.

This is when the coverage of the Womens Football start, (Kickoff 4pm), in the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.

Great Britain V New Zealand.

You can watch it live on Channel SKY 450 for HD and Channel SKY 474 for SD.

RecQuery
24-Jul-12, 14:20
Just to cheer all you Olympic Lovers up, the Olympics start tomorrow afternoon at 3.50pm in Cardiff.

This is when the coverage of the Womens Football start, (Kickoff 4pm), in the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.

Great Britain V New Zealand.

You can watch it live on Channel SKY 450 for HD and Channel SKY 474 for SD.

You can't really call it team Great Britain with a straight face though, can you.

secrets in symmetry
25-Jul-12, 01:11
You can't really call it team Great Britain with a straight face though, can you.That's right, there are no Welsh in the GB women's football squad - just English and Scots. :cool:

RecQuery
25-Jul-12, 07:43
That's right, there are no Welsh in the GB women's football squad - just English and Scots. :cool:

I don't care about any sport, but people actually watch women's football I just assumed it was some sort of curiosity.

sids
25-Jul-12, 12:18
I don't care about any sport, but people actually watch women's football I just assumed it was some sort of curiosity.

You'll never know what it is if you never see it.

pmcd
26-Jul-12, 08:25
Just to get it into perspective - it was an excellent match, totally devoid of divas falling over and clutching bits of themselves which weren't actually struck: there were no instances of arguing with the ref, spitting, grandstanding, excessive on-pitch malevolence - just a well-played sporting encounter, with dignity and action displayed by both sides.

Oh yes, and Team GB won - the first result of the first Olympic encounter. Great reason to celebrate. Go, girls, go!

RecQuery
26-Jul-12, 10:18
Just to get it into perspective - it was an excellent match, totally devoid of divas falling over and clutching bits of themselves which weren't actually struck: there were no instances of arguing with the ref, spitting, grandstanding, excessive on-pitch malevolence - just a well-played sporting encounter, with dignity and action displayed by both sides.

Oh yes, and Team GB won - the first result of the first Olympic encounter. Great reason to celebrate. Go, girls, go!

Pity about the flag incident though, I hope someone got fired over that.

ducati
26-Jul-12, 18:44
Pity about the flag incident though, I hope someone got fired over that.

WHAT? Did they show them next to the French flag or summat?