PDA

View Full Version : Scotrail Booze Ban

golach
20-Jul-12, 09:37
Scotrail have decided to ban all booze on trains from 9pm to 10am, what the Orgers think of this. I have enjoyed many a long trip by rail, but have also enjoyed a drink or two on the train.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/alcohol-ban

gollach
20-Jul-12, 09:42
I often take a few tins on the train. I'll be ok on the last train as long as I sleep for the last 40 minutes :lol:

ducati
20-Jul-12, 10:09
A great idea! Too many passed up weegies.

Corrie 3
20-Jul-12, 10:18
Pub's are for drinking.....Trains are for travelling safely on.
I agree with Duke, far too many can't hold their drink and spoil the journey for others.
If you can't go a few hours without a drink then you need to seek help!!

Well done Scotrail.!!!

C3......;)

rogermellie
20-Jul-12, 10:31
how will they enforce a ban starting at 9pm if the passengers are already well into their carry out ?

last time i was on the train there was a bunch of yoofs drinking on the 7am train to inverness and they were a right pain in the arse

a complete ban would get thumbs up from me

Kodiak
20-Jul-12, 10:49
My only complaint about this is that it does Not go far enough. They should Ban Drinking Alcohol Completely, Zero Tolerance.

There is no Need to drink on a Train just as there is no need to smoke. Smoking is banned and so should Drinking be Banned.

Tinkerbell09
20-Jul-12, 11:00
On a few occations me and my OH have taken our own alcohol onto the train, and managed to have a few drinks and not disrupt anybody. I agree in one way how this is going to cut out all the drunks that do come on and cause disruption for everyone else, But what about the one's who CAN have a drink and not cause any disruption to anyone else travelling? In that sence I think it's a bit unfair :confused

changilass
20-Jul-12, 11:47
Yet another case of the few spoiling it for the many.

golach
20-Jul-12, 12:06
Most orgers seem to go along with this ban, and some would take it further. There is a complete ban on drinking on buses, what about other forms of travel, by plane, on ferries, a complete ban on drink on all methods of travel?

grumpyhippo
20-Jul-12, 12:39
Public drunkenness has alwaysbeen an offence, but rather than provide the resouces to enforce the existing law, politicians have given us a new law, that will mean that the responsible majority will now be liable to prosecution for what was previously acceptabe behaviour, i.e. a social drink consumed on a train.

The loutish minority will continue to behave as before and if these new restrictions are enforced will no doubt fail to pay what ever piffling fine that the court inposes on them. Whereas the decent majority, who may be caught out by the new legislation (whilst in no way intoxicated) will turn up in court, full of embarrassment, pay their fine, go home and hide behind the curtains.

If the law on public drunkeneness was properly, and consistently, enforced in all areas in the community there would have been no need for this ridiculous legislation.

jimbews
20-Jul-12, 15:01
If the law on public drunkeneness was properly, and consistently, enforced in all areas in the community there would have been no need for this ridiculous legislation.

Hear Hear.

And if the law was properly enforced about not serving alcohol to those who were under the influence ....

etc, etc

ducati
20-Jul-12, 17:00
'Course, the other side of it is you can't travel if you are under the influence. The point of public transport to me, and the only time I ever use it, is if you go out for a drink. :confused

golach
20-Jul-12, 18:58
Yet another case of the few spoiling it for the many.

Changi, its obvious you have never been on the afternoon train from Aberdeen heading south, with a train load of roughnecks heading home after being 4 weeks offshore and dry, not a good experience, luckily, I only had to travel from Dundee to Edinburgh with them.

grumpyhippo
20-Jul-12, 19:16
The general problem in society is the two statments often made closely together. 'It's a free country' followed by 'There ought to be a law against that'.....One persons law is the next ones restriction.

theone
20-Jul-12, 21:23
Changi, its obvious you have never been on the afternoon train from Aberdeen heading south, with a train load of roughnecks heading home after being 4 weeks offshore and dry, not a good experience, luckily, I only had to travel from Dundee to Edinburgh with them.

This legislation won't change that.

gleeber
20-Jul-12, 22:25
I shudder to think about some of the conditions i've come off that train in Thurso. I dont blame the drink though. Its a stupid law and as someone said it effects the vast majority of sensible drinkers who would enjoy a drink on their journey. This is the thin edge of the wedge. They dont know what else to do. Eventually some sunshine boy will put forward a good idea to criminalise alcohol. I wont be around to see it but its coming. Either that or they invent an antidote or an additive to alcohol that discourages problem drinkers from being pains in the trains. :lol:

focusRS
20-Jul-12, 23:07
It's an age thing. Get blazing drunk on the train when you were young, then it's some drams as a social thing between friends to make the journey pass when you're a bit older and finally it ends up you're ancient and having a go at the young for getting drunk. The circle of life.

oldmarine
20-Jul-12, 23:08
Having given up drinking alcohol years ago it would not bother me.

billmoseley
21-Jul-12, 09:50
Speak as a public transport driver on the buses i do agree with the ban however i must say folk up here who have maybe had one to many are usually pretty well behaved. i have never refused anyone travel because of being drunk. Most are grateful for the lift home. however down in England in was a different case most were well behaved but a few times i had to step in and stop drunk fights and behaviour. While what seems funny to drunk people is some time intimidating to others

changilass
21-Jul-12, 10:39
If the folk who were actually causing the disturbance were dealt with severely, then the rest of us could make the choice ourselves instead of having it thrust upon us.

secrets in symmetry
21-Jul-12, 11:56
It's an age thing. Get blazing drunk on the train when you were young, then it's some drams as a social thing between friends to make the journey pass when you're a bit older and finally it ends up you're ancient and having a go at the young for getting drunk. The circle of life.Yes, you're right, it is an age thing, but only amongst certain people, or "classes" of people - mostly uneducated clowns who misbehaved badly when young. Most of my reactionary peers were the worst behaved when we were at school, yet now they criticise the younger generation - many of whom are nowhere near as bad as they were themselves!

Part of the problem is that in Caithness alcohol is still regarded as something you use to get out of your head - and is required to have a good time.

The general problem in society is the two statments often made closely together. 'It's a free country' followed by 'There ought to be a law against that'.....One persons law is the next ones restriction.Yes, absolutely - and some people will say both things about closely related issues. It's the uneducated and unthinking classes again - they can't see the inconsistencies in their reactionary utterances.

If the folk who were actually causing the disturbance were dealt with severely, then the rest of us could make the choice ourselves instead of having it thrust upon us.Ditto.

smithp
21-Jul-12, 15:55
This ban is a softener to get you on side. I suggest the next step scotrail will take is a ban on bringing alcohol on the train; the only alcohol you will get will be the stuff they sell themselves at massively inflated prices. Those pure roughnecks will be skint by the time they get to Wick from Aberdeen at Scotrails prices!

mentallywinnie
22-Jul-12, 01:38
smithp....''the only alcohol you will get will be the stuff they sell themselves at massively inflated prices.''

There's one problem with that...I travelled on the train to Inverness on Tuesday 10th July...they ONLY have a trolley on SATURDAY'S now!?!?!!!!!

Marty McFly
22-Jul-12, 11:25
smithp....''the only alcohol you will get will be the stuff they sell themselves at massively inflated prices.''

There's one problem with that...I travelled on the train to Inverness on Tuesday 10th July...they ONLY have a trolley on SATURDAY'S now!?!?!!!!!

Thats rubbish....there's a trolley on the train every day.

mentallywinnie
22-Jul-12, 23:16
Thast's what I was told by two guards on that one journey...they'd only provide a trolley on Saturdays..I don't know what day you travelled but this was current on 10th July 2012

P.S I'm coming back from Inverness on the 17.55 on this Tuesday 24th and will ask again..if not have a feedback form in my bag which will be followed through

Marty McFly
23-Jul-12, 00:18
The only train that does not have a trolley service is the 06.20 from Wick to Inverness Monday to Friday. All the other weekday trains to and from Wick have a trolley service, as does the four Saturday trains and the Sunday train.

Apart from the weekday 06.20, I would most definately agree with you about leaving feeedback.