PDA

View Full Version : county show.

balto
18-Jul-12, 15:03
Well as we all know the county show is on this weekend, i know it will create a lot of trade in thurso over the weekend and i shouldnt moan, but i am tired of having to suffer the noise of the sideshow generators for days now 24/7, this morning bang bang at 7 while they put the tents up, living right in front of it has its serious downside, my 2 boys sleep in the front room but it even woke the girls up this morning, organisers of the county show have a heart, people live nearby.

arat
18-Jul-12, 15:57
maybe you will get free tickets for the family for putting up with the noise

snow tiger
18-Jul-12, 18:38
It's only once a year, not every weekend.

Tilly Teckel
18-Jul-12, 22:42
maybe you will get free tickets for the family for putting up with the noise

I think that would be a nice gesture. Where I used to live there was an annual county show at a park along the road from me. As people in the street weren't able to park in front of their houses that weekend we were all given complimentary tickets to the show. It was much appreciated and stopped people grumbling!

billmoseley
19-Jul-12, 08:24
try ear plugs get them off ebay for a few quid. they are also useful for snoring and might even shut out rowdy children

Croftergirl
19-Jul-12, 20:44
The sideshows are not part of the county show, they are always outside the show field, so it's not really the shows fault about the noise.

balto
19-Jul-12, 21:01
its not just the noise from the sideshows, but the banging at 7 in the morning when they were erecting tents, and i know its only once a year but a little consideration is all i ask, and thankfully i aqm not the only one in our area annoyed with it. As for getting free tickets that is not the object of moaning i am more than willing to pay like everyone else.

annemarie482
19-Jul-12, 21:22
ach it's no different to the council digging up the road outside your house etc
i'm sure the law states the reasonable times for noise is 7am to 11pm anything outwith that is reason to complain.
brings more benefit than hindrance :)

i live beside rockwaters track, so as you can imagine the launches are very loud and illuminated beyond belief lol
my house is also under the flight route for landing at the airport, so several planes a day too.
but its work, excellent for caithness so doesnt bother me a bit.
knew it when we built here. lifes noisy, my kids are noisier lol

bobbyjoeufb
23-Jul-12, 23:31
yes thanks to County Show for a fantastic weekend!

The Sideshows right next to the main road as close as possible to the residental housing was a fantastic idea, feeling the base vibrate through my house was almost bearable topped off by some idiot on the microphone ever couple of minutes asking people to scream if they wanted to go faster. Just what I wanted to hear after a 12 hour nightshift!

Oh yes and the fact that the street I live on was completed filled by cars parked in every avalible space and even abandoned on the grass because people were too tight to pay the car park charge or could not be bothered to walk to the show.
Not to mention the inconsiderate people who parked in front of my driveway blocking my access and also my neighbours driveways and garages! Throughout the day there were so many near misses I am very suprised that no damage was actually caused to my car or my nieghbours vehicles!

Also the show had attracted some nice boy racers who parked outside my house Friday night and I oblviously did not mind them sitting on my garden wall drinking or sitting on my car bonnet!

I knew this weekend was going to be a nightmare and I personally do not think that the County Show should be allowed to hold such an event in a residental area and dreading the thought of a repeat performace in 2 years time!

loneranger
23-Jul-12, 23:59
I don't see why its the show to blame for the parking on the street is this not a public place and anyone has the right to park there as long as they have tax and insurance. As for the youths drinking outside you're house and people parking in front of our drive this i would think would be a matter for the police. i'm not a lover of the sideshows by no means but i'm sure they know the law on noise and were working within these.

bobbyjoeufb
24-Jul-12, 12:28
I don't see why its the show to blame for the parking on the street is this not a public place and anyone has the right to park there as long as they have tax and insurance. As for the youths drinking outside you're house and people parking in front of our drive this i would think would be a matter for the police. i'm not a lover of the sideshows by no means but i'm sure they know the law on noise and were working within these.

You really dont see why the show is to blame?

Lets put it another way, if the show was not held last weekend in a residental area. Would there be the large amount of cars all battling over every availible park space in springpark? No there would not! Also I doubt I would have had youths sitting on my wall and car bonnet drinking as this it not a normal occurence in this area.

I am sure the county show would have carried out an assesment to what issues might occur when moving such a large event in to the town. And no doubt probley thought about the car parking issues. And it may have even occured to them that people would park where they could to avoid paying charges for parking.

If that was the case maybe they even thought about lowering the cost of parking or even offering free parking. But again they are out to make money and I dont think they give a damm about any of the local residents that they have inconveniced!

mama2
24-Jul-12, 14:51
I think the County Show was fantastic this year, it was a great day with a lot of effort put in by the committee (as it is every year). Caithness has very little to offer it's residents in the way of entertainment and the show is not only a great way to bring money to the community it's also a great day out for familys, couples, young & old. It happens once a year, and in Wick it is also in a residental area. The advantage of moving the show to Thurso East is that it is easier to access the show field which proved to be a success as I hear the gate numbers are up this year. The show committee organised a field with parking facilities, if people choose not to use those facilities then what are the show committee to do? You cannot force people to park there and if they were committing an offense the police should have been called. Free parking?? Why should they offer free parking? Have you any idea how much it costs to organise and run an event like the county show? The show have to pay all their overheads so why should they not charge for parking? As the saying goes no such thing as a free lunch. Well done to everyone who organised the show I hope you are all having a well deserved rest now!

Eilanboy
24-Jul-12, 15:01
Whatis the differencve bnetween a County Show in Wick and one in Thurso.The Wickers welcome it with open arms those in Thurso do nothing but complain

Buttercup
24-Jul-12, 17:05
Whatis the differencve bnetween a County Show in Wick and one in Thurso.The Wickers welcome it with open arms those in Thurso do nothing but complain

Not all of Thurso is complaining - only a few. You'll always get someone who complains, no matter where it's held.
Personally, I'm glad to see it back where it used to be, it's far more accessable to people who don't have their own transport. When it was held at Scrabster it was too far out for most folks to walk. As for cars parking within the Mount Pleasant estate, well unfortunately we don't own the road outside our gardens and just have to accept that, it's a common problem if there's an event of any kind on anywhere, nobody wants to pay to park if they don't have too. The noise is a nuisance for those living in the area and although the show only lasts a couple of days the preparation and clearing up will be noisy that is just a fact of life I'm afraid. But that noise is the same whither it is held in Wick, Thurso or the "back of beyond" and will always annoy folk. Unfortunately, any event (or anything different from the norm) will bring out the NIMBY in some people and before someone complains I am NOT referring to individuals who may have posted here.

Yon Chiel
25-Jul-12, 10:54
but i am tired of having to suffer the noiseTrying living next door to a family with 4 young children, then you'll know what 24/7 noise is really like. At least the sideshows will be gone soon.

Moira
26-Jul-12, 22:31
ach it's no different to the council digging up the road outside your house etc
i'm sure the law states the reasonable times for noise is 7am to 11pm anything outwith that is reason to complain.
brings more benefit than hindrance :)

i live beside rockwaters track, so as you can imagine the launches are very loud and illuminated beyond belief lol
my house is also under the flight route for landing at the airport, so several planes a day too.
but its work, excellent for caithness so doesnt bother me a bit.
knew it when we built here. lifes noisy, my kids are noisier lol

Absolutely agree annemarie. We don't have the Rockwater track near us but we live on the A99 out of Wick and the large, wide loads from Wick Harbour out to Wester cause parking/access problems for us everytime. They also "trim" our trees, which over-hang the roadway very high up. That's a bonus, saves us hiring scaffolding to keep them in check. ;)

We're also on the flight-path to Wick Airport, (depends on the Pilot) and see & hear all the trains coming & going from Wick Railway Station.

The Caithness County Show & Wick Gala Week present a few more problems for those who live in the area, that's for sure. I've been challenged for having the audacity to try parking in my own driveway. I explained to the guy who was blasting his horn & shaking his fist at me that I actually lived here, he was partially blocking my drive and that I wasn't very good at reversing. He moved his car pretty quick & I never saw him again.

I can hear the noise from the Sideshows at Wick Riverside when they are in residence for a few short weeks in the middle of the year.

I'd never complain about any of the above. The inconvenience is shortlived and is made up, in abundance, by the positives. :)

Dadie
26-Jul-12, 23:28
suck it up!
its only once every 2 years..
And its only back at Thurso East after a long time away.
Could be worse ..you could have to put up with the noise and traffic everyday!
ps we paid for the carparking as we usually do at the show as its easier .. not better ..and the sideshows move on quickly with minimum fuss to get to the next line of suckers!
Its only for a wee while....not like noisy neighbours that are there forever!
Used to disturbances for wee whiles and willing to grouch on them but the benifits usually outway the discomfort !
Its not like you didnt know it was happening or anything!