PDA

View Full Version : Advice please - as I contemplate relocating to the

nicirvin
22-Jan-05, 00:29
FLIGHTS - I'll be going for a job interview sometime in the next few weeks (late Jan, early Feb. Wondered if anyone could advise the best flights from the Birmingham area to Wick.

WEATHER - can Feb. weeks be so bad that I should avoid them (for travelling)?

CASTLETOWN - would anyone wish to recommend it or nearby as a place to scout around for a nice house ?

Thanks. Nic.

apollo69
22-Jan-05, 00:52
Castletown area is good, contrary to some opinions. house prices are okay and if you like the country there's loads of nice areas just outside the village

mareng
22-Jan-05, 05:21
Castletown? Mmmm, let me think...........................................

................... Run fast, run far!

EDDIE
22-Jan-05, 09:38
I suppose a lot deponds on how far your willing to travel to work.If you have the money living out in the country would be nice.But i wouldnt live in castletown theres nothing there you would be better of with living in wick or thurso me personally would live in thurso.Its a nice town plus its also near to all the other major employers for that area.
Why not come up here for a week and stay in a couple of different areas to see which you fancy.

Fifi
22-Jan-05, 10:57
Castletown is a nice area to live - I don't know what Eddie and Mareng are on about. Like anywhere else there are nice areas and not so nice areas - you take your pick.

The village has..... a Mace Shop (open late, sells bakery goods and papers), high quality butcher, chip shop, a bank (open limited hours), post office, restaurant/bar and cafe, hotel with restaurant and bar, children's playpark, primary school with playgroup, dispensing medical practice, football field (with senior and local teams), petrol station, 2 garages, 2 hairdressers - also very close to Dunnet Sands and lots of country walks (Flagstone trail etc).

How can you say there is nothing here Eddie???? And if you are stuck for anything you are 5 minutes by car from Thurso and 15 mins from Wick.

The house prices are not out of this world but there are also a few new builds on the go. It's worth contacting local builders to see what they have on the go - you should find their details on this website. Flights - try easternairways.co.uk. Weather is pot luck, we seem to have our own atmosphere here! If it's bad one day it's very likely to be sunny the next day. Good luck.

EDDIE
22-Jan-05, 11:32
Fifi i am not trying to slag of castletown im just saying there isnt a great deal in castletown compared to wick and thurso and castletown is a small village and if someone is thinking of moving to caithness and there used to big citys it takes a lot of getting used to living in a village and you are right in sayin that there is lot of nice walks in and around castletown and dunnet sands is nice but its only 10 to 15 mins away from thurso as well.But you are hardly going to do a weeks food shopping in castletown or have a good selection of shops for buying cloths and if ure wanting a night out in the town u havent exactly got a lot of bars to go to and if i was going for a night out in the town i probably wouldnt want half my street in the same bar.
Sorry Fifi

luskentyre
22-Jan-05, 19:37
I believe BMI do cheap flights from Birmingham to Inverness. That's possibly your best bet. I think Wick airport is only serviced by Edinburgh and Aberdeen so it's going to be pricey when you take multiple flights.

February is tradionally dodgy in terms of weather - but given the last few weeks, anything could happen!

Maybe you have to live in Castletown to appreciate it - but personally I don't see the point of the place! I'm assuming you have links there by the time you're asking?

~~Tides~~
22-Jan-05, 19:42
WEATHER - can Feb. weeks be so bad that I should avoid them (for travelling)?

Of couse not!

captain chaos
23-Jan-05, 12:19
Maybe you have to live in Castletown to appreciate it - but personally I don't see the point of the place! I'm assuming you have links there by the time you're asking?

Yes its just like Watten, you have to drive through it to get to Wick or Thurso [lol] [lol]

Can't see the point myself :evil :evil

©Amethyst
23-Jan-05, 14:24
I would not recommend Castletown at all. Unless you want the local kids to try and set your house on fire like what has been known to happen... *coughs*

captain chaos
23-Jan-05, 15:15
Jeez the same can be said about Wick,Thurso and just about any large village or town. I know of worse to have happened in Wick and Thurso.

But why do people keep slagging villages or towns on this message board . People seem to have a negative attitude to any area they dont live in. Its about time we stopped slagging our own county and tried to improve it if this is required.

~~Tides~~
23-Jan-05, 16:37
I contemplate relocating to the area

Only if:

A. You have children
B. You are thinking of starting a business
C. You are under 50
D. You are anti wind farm
E. You will shop locally for Everything
F. You will pick up litter
G. You drive something with a 1000cc engine or less.
H. You are not poor but not rich
I. You don’t drive a Landover
J. You own a pair of hiking boots
K. You will take an interest in all things natural
L. You will not work at Dounreay
M. You like fishing

N. YOU WILL NOT COMPLAIN!!!

Understood?

nicirvin
25-Jan-05, 22:54
I'm delighted to have received so many responses. Thank you. I seem to have sparked debate as well !

There are so many questions in my mind, I don't know where to start. I've mentioned where's best to consider house hunting. We'd need to consider finding a good primary school too. Is there a school bus for example? Are pharmacies easy to get to? Is the Tesco deliveries project I've heard mentioned just an idea or is it happening? How about crime, and then the other extreme, really good things happening for kids of different ages?

Anyone care to chip in?

I'm planning to make the first visit at the beginning of March. Will need B&B near Tofts of Tain. Anyone know it?

Anyone into scuba diving?

What are the churches like? Sunday School, etc?

michellem
28-Jan-05, 10:07
I was brought up in Castletown, and moved away, unfortunately. Having brought up my own two bairns elsewhere, I can't help having regrets about what they've missed out on. The community spirit is unequalled! As for having nothing to do, the days were never long enough! The primary school is one of the best, the locals couldn't be friendlier, and the scenery amazing. My one aim in life is to come back home, and one day, I know I will achieve it.

katarina
28-Jan-05, 10:29
[quote="EDDIE"]Fifi i am not trying to slag of castletown im just saying there isnt a great deal in castletown compared to wick and thurso and castletown is a small village
Maybe that's what they want.

michellem
28-Jan-05, 10:40
I know what you're saying, but what it loses with lack of commercial facilities, it more than gains with lifestyle. Methinks anyway.

Rheghead
28-Jan-05, 12:18
There is a Caithness Scuba club.

katarina
28-Jan-05, 12:46
I'm delighted to have received so many responses. Thank you. I seem to have sparked debate as well !

There are so many questions in my mind, I don't know where to start. I've mentioned where's best to consider house hunting. We'd need to consider finding a good primary school too. Is there a school bus for example? Are pharmacies easy to get to?

Is the Tesco deliveries project I've heard mentioned just an idea or is it happening? How about crime, and then the other extreme, really good things happening for kids of different ages?

What are the churches like? Sunday School, etc?[

I don't live in Castletown, but I believe the primary school is good. If you live in any part of the village the walk to school would be pretty short and safe. there will be a bus to secondary school in Thurso. there is a Caithness diving club, and I know some of the members. I don't know about activities in the village itself, but the surrounding towns have plenty. There is a church of scotland, but for other denominations you would have to travel to Thurso or Wick. there are strong rumours that Tescos are looking for ground in Wick, but failing that you have Somerfields, co-op, and lidl's and of course all the usual Spar and Mace.
Castletown is a pretty village, with close access to beautiful Dunnet beach, and forest.
Great walks! Good luck![/b]

stekar
28-Jan-05, 22:20
We are definately moving to Caithness, just waiting for a buyer for our house.

And can answer yes to nearly all your points Tides :D :lol:

apollo69
28-Jan-05, 22:36
The school is one of the best in Caithness

Crime is almost non-existant since the main culprit in the past is gone.

nicirvin
30-Jan-05, 19:37
Thank you again for everyone's input. We are very attracted to the area from all that we hear. Tides' string of questions get our Yes vote (most of them).

MATERNITY - If we move up soon then our next baby will be born in the area. Where is there a maternity unit? Does it have a good reputation? Or what other form of maternity care should we expect when it comes to delivery?

BUSINESS - I wonder why Tides says we should be thinking of starting a business. Indeed we may be (on the internetin fact), but I wonder what he means in that comment? Is it simply because businesses bring jobs, or is the area particularly good for assisting new businesses? :D

~~Tides~~
30-Jan-05, 21:58
BUSINESS - I wonder why Tides says we should be thinking of starting a business. Indeed we may be (on the internetin fact), but I wonder what he means in that comment? Is it simply because businesses bring jobs, or is the area particularly good for assisting new businesses? :D

Yip.

Tristan
30-Jan-05, 22:42

good luck with relocating to the area - we've been here six years and enjoy it!

There are two scuba diving clubs that I'm aware of: Caithness Diving Club, and Far North Sub Aqua. Bring your dry suit!

katarina
31-Jan-05, 10:22
MATERNITY - If we move up soon then our next baby will be born in the area. Where is there a maternity unit? Does it have a good reputation? Or what other form of maternity care should we expect when it comes to delivery?

Ah now we rach a sticky point! now doubt you will recieve lots of replies to this one. We are at present fighting to retain our maternity unit. The powers that be want to reduce our excelent facility to a midwife run unit, with any problem births being sent to Inverness. their reason? They have come up with a few but it all boils down to saving the NI money. BUT WE ARE NOT GIVING UP WITHOUT A FIGHT! iF YOU ARE WILLING TO MARCH WITH US AND WAVE YOUR BANNERS - WELCOME!

jane
31-Jan-05, 22:38
i think anywhere up here is fine all the villages are in traveilling distance i have lived here 20 years so am an incomer, so see both sides to it. the countryside is great, there used to be a negative side (not to many shops) but all that is changing, i suggest you live outside the towns in rural area and enjoy both then, compared to down south the crime rate is low, and the schools are excellent. facilities for children are great and also adults lots to get involved in.
so move up and give it a go.

Fran
01-Feb-05, 00:15
Why are people knocking Castletown. I dont live there, but I would like to . I think it is a lovely place and i would certainly recommend it to anyone with children moving here. it has a beautiful beach, lovely walks, nice harbour, shops, hotel, garage, petrol, post office, butcher, hairdressers, fish and chips, bakers and on the bus route to thurso, Wick and John O Groats. Has school, doctor, but I dont think a church. I think it looks a nice place and the people seem very friendly there, They have a bank, playschool,town hall, youth club and seem to have a lot of activities for everyone. They used to have a lot of car boot sales in the hall at one time. It is a clean place with lots of trees and grass areas. :lol:

ajr
01-Feb-05, 16:37
Castletown is a bit of a dive to be honest. I moved to Caithness about 12 years back and clearly remember driving round whilst staying in the pentland for a few weeks looking for a house to rent and a plot of land to build a house on. I drove into Casteltown and did a 3 point turn before drivinf straight back out.

If you want to be near to a great beach and still be close to Thurso/Wick then it may be the best place but there are a lot of kids hanging round at night causing trouble etc but I'm sure no where near as bad as everywhere else in the UK!!!

Thurso is okay if a little overpriced due to the Dounreay connection and Wick is okay if you like that sort of place. It is undergoing a lot of regeneration if our concillors allow any outside investment (They even tried to block the weatherspoons as it would encourage binge drinkning!!) - IN WICK What a laugh! :D

You can fly with Eastern from Birmingham to Inverness and then to Wick by car or with eastern again (I believe this flight starts late Feb/March)

Good luck

MileHigh
01-Feb-05, 18:46
You can get Flights to Wick for much the same price as to Inverness. At least flying to Wick you won't have a further 2 hour car journey. Get a British Airways Flight from Birmingham to Aberdeen and then get Eastern Airways to Wick

katarina
01-Feb-05, 21:26
Personally I would recommend John O' Groats. I think it is the best place in the world!

DrSzin
02-Feb-05, 00:22
Thurso is okay if a little overpriced due to the Dounreay connection ...
Hmm, it all depends on where you are coming from. Housing in Thurso is incredibly cheap when compared with where I live, but I dare say parts of London might make my neighbourhood seem inexpensive. The Caithness Solicitors Property Centre (http://www.caithnessproperty.co.uk/) gives you some idea of what's available and where.

I see the Holborn Hotel in Thurso is up for sale. I had a mad idea last week. I would sell up here, buy the Holborn, and set up Szin's -- a new club to do battle with Skins. Szin's would be a little more adventurous musically, and I promise there would be no spelling or grammar tests at the door. :lol:

Wick is okay if you like that sort of place.
Not sure what that means, so can't comment. :eyes

nicirvin
03-Feb-05, 21:34
I'll be in your area Tuesday 22nd Feb unti the Friday. :D

Thanks ajr and MileHigh for the flight advice, it was just right.

Is there a MUST place to visit during my stay (not interested in Tourist Attractions at this stage, just getting a feel of the area) ? What would you recommend as a good tour so I get to see the best (maybe also the worst) of the Caithness area. I've got a full day to pack it in.

On Tuesday evening after I arrive it would be nice to meet some locals, young family types perhaps or older. Is there a pub I could introduce myself in and not feel embarassed? :roll:

Thank you again.

jb
03-Feb-05, 23:04
For more info on Castletown and whats on try www.castletown.info

badger
04-Feb-05, 18:16
Of course Castletown has a church!! More than one actually. What denomination are you looking for? If you're CofE then the nearest up here is Episcopal for which there is one in Thurso and one in Wick, both lovely friendly places sharing the same priest and both with Sunday Schools. You really do need to spend a bit of time up here if poss. to have a look round but if you can't why not look up as many places as you can on this website and see all the pics. etc.

katarina
05-Feb-05, 12:35
On Tuesday evening after I arrive it would be nice to meet some locals, young family types perhaps or older. Is there a pub I could introduce myself in and not feel embarassed? :roll:

Thank you again.[/quote]

Why would you feel embarrassed?