PDA

View Full Version : 8Mb Broadband in & around Thurso

Bobinovich
29-Nov-06, 16:06
For those of you in and around Thurso I'm trying to find out where the 8Mb broadband speed extends to.

I'm up in the Atomics am getting 8Mb there, but a customer just outwith Springpark wants to know if they can get it. They don't want to pay extra for a service level they may never fully benefit from.

Could anyone currently signed up to the 8Mb level let me know roughly where you are and what speed you're getting (and your Broadband provider if you don't mind). If you don't want to reveal your location on this thread then please feel free to PM me instead - all locations will be kept in confidence.

Stewart
29-Nov-06, 16:09
Have they tried postcode BT's check?

http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp?s_cid=FURL-broadband

Bobinovich
29-Nov-06, 23:23
Yes Stewart we did try the customer's phone number on that site and it gave a maximum of "up to 2Mb" which is what they're already on!

BT have already sent them a Home Hub saying that they may be able to get up to 8Mb. I advised the customer that, at current levels, they would be unlikely to get much higher than their current speed.

I did say that there were other benefits to using the Home Hub such as wireless networking but they currently have no requirement for this.

Maybe if more technological advances are made then the installation of the Home Hub may be worthwhile.

Thanks to all who have PM'd so far...

Jeid
29-Nov-06, 23:40
BT say my line can get 8mb, but although my ISP(Bulldog) offer 8mb, they don't seem to be offering it to me. Strange. Maybe I should phone them about that.

EDIT: Should've said, I'm in Mount Vernon

zagor
30-Nov-06, 01:13
I just ran that test on the line an it says I could have a likely speed of 8mbs an I stay in Halkirk any one else in halkir got broadband and what speed can they get.

Moonboots
30-Nov-06, 10:10
Well im in Holborn Avenue and BT say my line should be able to get 7.6mb no probs. But the fastest ive had is 3mb and now lucky its 1.5mb. I was getting a faster speed when I was just on the 2mb package. By the way my ISP is Virgin. Even had my ADSL Modem checked out and which the current line rate does say 7.616mb.