PDA

View Full Version : Northern Metropolis?

Kaishowing
29-Nov-06, 14:37
Just out of curiosity, did anyone else notice the start of a road branching off the roundabout outside Tesco's? I wonder what else is planned for the future there??
If there's another retail park planned, it'll eventually hook up to the Business Park, and that's alot of real estate to fill up!
Is Wick really 'on the up' that much??

angela5
29-Nov-06, 14:52
According to the rumour mill it's Matalan and KFC that are going up there next.

JAWS
29-Nov-06, 15:01
It's the start of the High Speed Link to Caithness International Airport. There will be jets taking off for Outer Mongolia day and night and Wick will disappear under the Runway. Just wait and see, Caithness will never recover! :lol:

To answer the question, no I hadn't noticed it, but I'm sure there will be plenty of really serious rumours shortly, there always are.
I've offered mine already just to give the rumour mongers a really good start! :roll:

The question now is, has anybody got any solid information?

unicorn
29-Nov-06, 15:11
It's the start of the High Speed Link to Caithness International Airport. There will be jets taking off for Outer Mongolia day and night and Wick will disappear under the Runway. Just wait and see, Caithness will never recover! :lol:

I wish they would then I wouldn't have a 6 hour drive to Glasgow :)

danc1ngwitch
29-Nov-06, 15:59

To answer the question, no I hadn't noticed it, but I'm sure there will be plenty of really serious rumours shortly, there always are.
I've offered mine already just to give the rumour mongers a really good start! :roll:

The question now is, has anybody got any solid information?

<<<< steps in for all the green pagan peoples..lol surely we couldna let such a highly beauty spot such as wick go under the runway..hehehe hohoho....though the international airport sounds good... oh and being an earth person remember leave no burning lights on turn them of save a little energy xxx

Kaishowing
29-Nov-06, 16:28
<<<< steps in for all the green pagan peoples..lol surely we couldna let such a highly beauty spot such as wick go under the runway..hehehe hohoho....though the international airport sounds good... oh and being an earth person remember leave no burning lights on turn them of save a little energy xxx

Being a Shintoist and my wife being a Pagan, I hope that business and nature can strike a healthy balance also, but unfortunately hardly any business is 'green' nowadays apart from some PR lip-service.
I just hope that if there is any new planning on the horizon, the local authorites remember just how special this county is when you compare it to other coastlines and how their countryside has been raped for the sake of a profit.
The raw beauty of the area is an asset that once gone will take decades to return if at all.

It would be nice to see some forward thinking from the employed architects for any future builds, where perhaps the surrounding landscape and the proposed projects could merge tastefully rather than the usual concrete and steel we see everywhere else.
Imaginative buildings would not only enhance the local area and hopefully preserve the landscape, but would also attract other business.

(By the way...nice to see some wind turbines on top of Tesco's roof!:D )

rfr10
29-Nov-06, 17:12
KFC and Matalan both have to plans to open a store up in Wick.. at the moment anyway. The branch off at the Round-a-bout is there IF any other developments take place. At the monent, nothing's happening...as far as I know.

rfr10
29-Nov-06, 18:19
:confused I will change what I just said. I've just been told that "someone" has applied for planning permission beside Tesco. The site is roughly the same size as the Tesco site for the building. At the moment, I can't say who's building there.

angela5
30-Nov-06, 11:18
:confused I will change what I just said. I've just been told that "someone" has applied for planning permission beside Tesco. The site is roughly the same size as the Tesco site for the building. At the moment, I can't say who's building there.

B&Q was mentioned.:eek:

newlabeluk
30-Nov-06, 11:57
I have a big ASDA but it doesn't offer on-line shopping and delivery because i'm told they don't have the space to expand for the warehousing & delivery vans.

Could it just be for the Dot.Com shopping your Tesco is going to have?

Lucy
01-Dec-06, 07:39
just to throw in another rumour. My son heard that its not going to be a roadway for more shops, its the access for the drive through car wash when it arrives.

Ricco
01-Dec-06, 08:46
Its going to be the access road for the forthcoming North Sea tunnel to Norway. An old 2nd WW plan was uncovered and reviewed in the light of the success of the Channel Tunnel, and it has been decided that modern technology will have just as much success for this one. It will provide a fast and comfortable journey to Scandinavia, and will prove especially useful in stormy weather.

Just kidding! ;)

connieb19
01-Dec-06, 09:26
just to throw in another rumour. My son heard that its not going to be a roadway for more shops, its the access for the drive through car wash when it arrives.
I hope this rumour is true, I was most dissapointed there was no carwash at the new Tesco. :)

Dali
01-Dec-06, 10:10

You dont know ? or cant say ?
If someone has applied for planning then should be public knowledge .

Fran
03-Dec-06, 02:44
the road is going to a new retail park. The new opticians in thurso road, wick, have said they are relocating there and building will start in february. The opticians in thurso Road will be up for sale shortly.
If there si to be a car wash at Tesco it would be on the filling station site.

Alice in Blunderland
03-Dec-06, 09:31
the road is going to a new retail park. The new opticians in thurso road, wick, have said they are relocating there and building will start in february. The opticians in thurso Road will be up for sale shortly.
If there si to be a car wash at Tesco it would be on the filling station site.

Please, please, please ,Santa let there be a Next if this is true,thats all I want for christmas and I promise to be a goooood girl. ;)

Kaishowing
03-Dec-06, 13:47
Please, please, please ,Santa let there be a Next if this is true,thats all I want for christmas and I promise to be a goooood girl. ;)

You sound so much like my sister-in-law it's scary!!!
If she had her way she'd turn shopping at Next into a religion....come to think of it, she already has!!:lol:

katiekrunch
03-Dec-06, 23:27
Ohh this must be so intriguing to everyone!! What is it to be... An exit formed off to the left of Tesco's roundabout!! Rumour has it that it will eventually connect with the business park towards Riess to include but a few retail outlets and food dinners i.e. Burger King, Pizza hut, ? Next, ? Booker's a little sample of Invernesses retail park, Stoneyfield. And that Matalan is suposidly going to reside in Caithness Glass factory. No more lengthy trips to Inverness. Saving on fuel etc.!! The good thing is that if this all does go ahead one way or another, it should make Wick prosper, one hopes. I was in Orkney rescently and friends stated that this was great for them. Less travelling time, more time to shop. I doubt though very much that wick airport will change dramatically, apart from the fact that the industrial estate is growing ever more larger, and safety is always paramount when it comes to public well-being etc, especially being so close to a runway. Anyone know whether the Wick Marina is planned to go ahead yet. That should be interesting especially with our windy whether in particular the south easterly's. It's worked for Stomness, except for the big flood storms couple of months back.

dirdyweeker
03-Dec-06, 23:30
I love Next too but my only worry would be that if it came to Wick everyone would be wearing their clothes. With smaller branches there is less choice. At least at the moment I order it online where there is a much bigger selection.

katiekrunch
03-Dec-06, 23:32
As for the 'North Sea Tunnel to Scandinavia', the only tunnel I and friends have heard in question is from Kirkwall to John O'Groats. Ever more intriguing this gets!!!!! But that would be the Pentland Chanel Crossing!!

rfr10
04-Dec-06, 17:05
You dont know ? or cant say ?
If someone has applied for planning then should be public knowledge .

"They" have applied for planning permission. It is a building and the site is the same size as Tesco so unless you get a very big car wash then it's not going to be that. It's separate from Tesco anyway. Not sure if the application is on the Highland Council website.