PDA

View Full Version : campsites for tents any suggestions? not too far...

Dadie
12-Jul-12, 23:35
Hubby wants to use the tent ....
And camping with kids is supposed to be fun?
Anywhere near home but far enough away for them to think its a holiday...but in easy distance/time to get home if a washout etc...
My kids are wee 6, 4, and 2 ...

donnick
12-Jul-12, 23:41
there is a wee campsite tents only at scarfskerry on the main road its next to the house whitebrigde but on opposite side of road surrounded by tree £6 pound a night or Dunnet campsite bit more expensive (not sure how much) but you have the beach and the forest nearby and the seaddrift centre as well loads to entertain the kids.

fender
13-Jul-12, 07:07
Brora/Golspie/Grannies. Near enough to get home but far away enough.

witchschild
13-Jul-12, 07:55
Campsite at Dornoch is great - right next to the beach - lots to do in the area. Used to go to grannies at Embo but it got really expensive - you were paying for all the entertainment at night in the club, swimming pool etc whether you used it or not and we didn't as the kids were usually too knackered after playing outside all day.

carlominno
13-Jul-12, 12:48
Have to agree that the campsite at Dornoch Beach (NOT Embo) is great for the kids.
We go there every year for our Girls & Kids camping week (age range of kids this year was 3-14) and they all had a great time. They can run about with a ball, play with kites and the beach is through the dunes but if you taking the wee one maybe better to walk up the road to the beach car park and swings and access beach from there as its much easier.

billmoseley
13-Jul-12, 12:56
why not try bettyhill great beach and nice and quiet

ducati
13-Jul-12, 18:11
No. Camping isn't fun with kids. Burn the tent and have hubby seen to!

billmoseley
13-Jul-12, 18:34
No. Camping isn't fun with kids. Burn the tent and have hubby seen to! camping is fun with kids get them out and about during the day. A bbq in the evening they will soon sleep it's one big adventure to them

grumpyhippo
13-Jul-12, 18:54
How about Melvich, the Hallidale Inn has a site beside it, big beach and dunes for children, pub for dad.........every ones a winner!

http://halladaleinn.co.uk/#

LMS
13-Jul-12, 19:16
Embo was grim the last time I was there. Dingwall was very clean and in a great location.

Stargazer
13-Jul-12, 21:47
Talmine, on other side of the causeway from Tongue. Small site for tents and caravans. It was a few years since I was there so I'm not sure if its still open, best to check, but ideal for sheltered beach within sight of the campsite. Plenty of midges at this time of year though.

Dadie
13-Jul-12, 21:56
Was toying about going up west.Will google it..And yup I know "how fun " camping is with kids.....last year we did 2 nights in the tent near Inverness....the girls spent the evening jumping from one "bedroom " to the other and wanting trips to the toilet block every 10 mins, taking turns...until they finally collapsed at 11pm!Might make the caravan booked for later on seem like heaven!

ywindythesecond
13-Jul-12, 22:08
How about Melvich, the Hallidale Inn has a site beside it, big beach and dunes for children, pub for dad.........every ones a winner!

http://halladaleinn.co.uk/#

Just what I would say.

Dog-eared
14-Jul-12, 00:45
Talmine has a rock hard, uneven surface and crappy bogs , no showers. Minging !

catran
14-Jul-12, 20:36
Loth beach is a lovely place to camp

Koi
14-Jul-12, 23:34
Camping is fun if you have airbeds lol. I want to take my son camping somewhere but partner isn't keen.

Dadie
14-Jul-12, 23:40
Any suggestions for over the water?
Orkney....
Will be an "exotic" holiday ..even if its for only a night!
We will be in a tent not a camper van or caravan.
Airbeds dont last long if you have excitable kids or a dog with long toe nails!

Green_not_greed
14-Jul-12, 23:43
Talmine, on other side of the causeway from Tongue. Small site for tents and caravans. It was a few years since I was there so I'm not sure if its still open, best to check, but ideal for sheltered beach within sight of the campsite. Plenty of midges at this time of year though.

Still a great place to camp and still open for business........