PDA

View Full Version : What is nice about Caithness? A positive outlook...

Rheghead
21-Jan-05, 21:00
I like going out to Duncansby Head, the views from the cliffs are stunning, you can hear the fulmers screeching and the seals barking if you listen hard enough.

I also like the deafening silence at camster cairns when no one is about, all that history is humbling.

I like the big skies and weather patterns that pass us by, we truely are small and insignificant to the power of nature.

I like going out to Dunnet head and thinking to myself ' Everyone is behind me!'

I like going to the pub and listening to the craic and thinking to myself ' Hey this dialect is not all that different to my native Cumbrian'

I like to know people are looking out for me, you don't get that in the city.

I like Caithness

This is no way a comprehensive list, I would like to know of other people's ideas of what is nice about Caithness

trinkie
21-Jan-05, 21:54
The sky, the cliffs, the sea........
The air, the cry of the gulls, the open space,
The smile that greets you on the face
of an old friend.
Come back for tea and a chat
And a scone or pancake,
More tea, and a piece of fruit cake.
A warm handshake.
The open space,
The smile on the face
Of an old friend.
Caithness.

apollo69
21-Jan-05, 23:41
Caithness:

Great place to bring up kids
Peaceful
Beautiful Scenery
Friendly people
It may lack some things but on the whole I love it.

minnicoll
22-Jan-05, 00:28
going to a wedding in april in beautiful sunshine.......

coming out of the reception......waist high in snow..........

skydivvy
22-Jan-05, 11:55
The wonderful walks. The strath at Dunbeath is one of my favourites. Fresh wind in your hair, and the sense that you are the only person on the planet! fantastic!

~~Tides~~
22-Jan-05, 19:32
Standing on scaraben watchin clouds drift over the county:

http://home.btconnect.com/richardsgarage/tomrichard/tomrichard/toms_photos_images/clouds.jpg

I also like knowing that I'm not the first person to live it and love it here:

http://home.btconnect.com/richardsgarage/tomrichard/tomrichard/toms_photos_images/clouds.jpg

~~Tides~~
22-Jan-05, 19:36
Oh crap, my photos dont seem to be working. Why?

2little2late
22-Jan-05, 23:17
When I was in Caithness I liked Loch Yarrows. There is something about it that makes it feel different to everywhere else. I can't say what it is but it seems quite surreal aswell. It just feels like a totally different place altogether.

~~Tides~~
23-Jan-05, 00:16
With all out lochs we have one of the best areas of Scotland to fish for trout.
I would encourage more of you to take it up, but then it would not be as peaceful. :)

Margaret M.
23-Jan-05, 00:58
The scenery is breathtaking
People are so friendly and helpful
Good roads (potholes are so common here)
Good restaurants
Weather is never boring - comfy summers
Gorgeous beaches
Peaceful
Kids can safely play outside
Motorists seem to respect cyclists
Low crime
Don't have to spend hours sitting in traffic
Steeped in history

Margaret M.
23-Jan-05, 01:19
How could I forget the lovely FRESH air!

katarina
23-Jan-05, 12:00
wow! Here was me suffering from SAD, thinking of dull skies, dog poo on the pavement, prevailing nasty gossip - you've made me look at the old place through new eyes!

23-Jan-05, 16:29
The Northern Lights aka Aurora Borealis.... are stunning......... :D

I've watched visitors to Caithness look at the sky with wonder & amazement at the Northern Lights. Its even better if they've been in the pub all night.....:D
Clear frosty nights with coloured curtains of light playing around the sky...... its utterly fantastic & you don't see it in the cities. A rare sight, maybe once or twice a year (I'm not deliberately looking for them) but spectacular when they appear.

And of course theres loads more, but I think that you have to leave it and come back to fully appreciate this place.
Couthy people, with stoic indifference to lifes wee problems, surprising things like a neep arriving on your doorstep, or a half bag of tatties delivered fresh with soil, two crabs in a bag ready for boiling.

squidge
24-Jan-05, 15:21
Caithness is the wind in your hair, the spray in your face, reiss beach deserted first thing on a summers morning with the sea freezing over your toes. Its the ever changing skies and the utter peace you can find sat by the side of the river. Its the sleep you get when you have been out walking.

Its the northern lights and the snow and they creepiness as the Haar slides over the land. Its how light it is at midnight in summer and how dark it is in the dead of a winters night.

Its the smile of the face of the people and the feeling of being home you get when you drive over the ord. Its how when you think your life could not get any worse and you are standing in a grotty flat with nothing you suddenly have plates and knives and forks and a dining table and a three piece suite and instead of being alone you find that people care about youmore than you imagined.

Its how people talk about you when you are not there and say it to your face when you are. Its how i was confident i would know if my kids were up to no good cos i was always being told - "Saw your boys last night" Its how the postman stops for a chat Its how when i fell over in the street people came to pick me up and make sure i was alright. Its how it infuriates me with its smal townitis and how it is difficult to cook anything off the telly cos you cant get lemongrass and fresh mangoes. And its the delight when you do find fresh mangoes and lemon grass.

I miss it all of it- it was a great place to live and a great place to bring my kids up. sigh

Zael
24-Jan-05, 19:08
Caithness is...

Looking out your window on a December morning to see that its bone dry outside, the sky is clear of clouds and beautifully blue, and then to step out and find that its a force 8 wind and -6 degrees.

Looking out your window on an August afternoon to see that the sky is black and rain is bouncing 2 feet off the ground, you wrap up to go out only to discover that there is no wind and its about 26 degrees.

How good can it get?

George Brims
26-Jan-05, 09:12
Not having to remember what you got up to on Friday night because your mum has heard by the time you get up on Saturday.

Having a second cousin about the same age and height and looking a bit like you, so you could say it was him if it was something bad (sorry David!).

Raonaid
28-Jan-05, 00:07
Bright moonlight to show the way when Im walkin the dog, so bright I've got a moonshadow. Hearing an owl hoot in the woods behind my house and no traffic noise.Feeling safe