PDA

View Full Version : Employment service fails the Olympics!

Phill
11-Jul-12, 21:10
Well, it would appear the army has to step in where the Jobcentre failed. Having not been able to press gang enough unemployed peeps into "work experience" stewarding the Olympics the army have been called in instead. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18804547

ducati
11-Jul-12, 21:18
Well, it would appear the army has to step in where the Jobcentre failed. Having not been able to press gang enough unemployed peeps into "work experience" stewarding the Olympics the army have been called in instead. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18804547

Excellent! We are going to look like some kind of Banana republic.......like France.

Gronnuck
11-Jul-12, 21:27
Just when the morale in the military hits rock bottom this grubbiement likes to give them another slap! The saying, "Lions led by Donkeys" is as true today as it has always been.

Big Gaz
11-Jul-12, 22:06
G4S are responsible for the security and i bet they get paid full whack whilst our troops get nothing extra for being forced into doing G4S work. It's just an embarrassment for the UK. The words "Laughing stock" will take on a whole new meaning in a fortnight!

sids
11-Jul-12, 22:24
G4S are responsible for the security and i bet they get paid full whack whilst our troops get nothing extra for being forced into doing G4S work.

Soldiers probably get more pay than G4, so your point doesn't make much sense to me.

Phill
11-Jul-12, 22:25
The same G4S that is involved in the same "welfare to work" type schemes that saw people on benefits bussed into London and left to sleep under a bridge prior to Stewarding the jubly. Methinks the cat got out the bag then and that has cocked up the "staffing" for the limpicks.

squidge
11-Jul-12, 22:26
The same G4S that is involved in the same "welfare to work" type schemes that saw people on benefits bussed into London and left to sleep under a bridge prior to Stewarding the jubly. Methinks the cat got out the bag then and that has cocked up the "staffing" for the limpicks. Oh I hope so!!!!

RecQuery
12-Jul-12, 09:54
Though it's all just security theatre. I have serious doubts about the army/armed forces becoming a police force, they're suppose to protect the people and country not police them.

Kodiak
12-Jul-12, 11:33
G4S, or Group 4 Securitas as they were known back in the 1970's when I used to work for them, have always paid their employees a low wage.

I worked as a Mobile Security Guard at Night and on a Friday Morning I was on the Cash in Transit in the Security Van. Due to the extra danger of transporting large amounts of cash we received danger money. We were given the grand sum a 2p an hour extra. WOW I never knew what to do with all that extra cash!

lab
12-Jul-12, 13:36
Soldiers probably get more pay than G4, so your point doesn't make much sense to me.
You obviously do not have a member of the forces in your family. I am also sure G4 workers havent had all planned leave canceled.

Corrie 3
12-Jul-12, 14:51
You obviously do not have a member of the forces in your family. I am also sure G4 workers havent had all planned leave canceled.
And holidays booked and paid for which they will probably lose all the money paid. Disappointed Wives and children and Family members.
Mind you, this Govt doesn't give a monkeys how they treat people.

C3..............:mad::mad:

pat
12-Jul-12, 15:06
Corrie 3
The governement does not care how it treats its FORCES and families - the forces have always been gagged and are not allowed to speak out or complain, they obey orders from on high, irrespective of their own personal thoughts and ideas. Obey or charges and court martials.

RecQuery
12-Jul-12, 15:20
Were they conscripted? No they weren't. I'm sure some are treated pretty badly but there are lots of difficult and dangerous jobs out there.

I've notice a trend lately of a decidedly US fawning masturbatory attitude to the armed forces. I suspect it's encouraged by the government so they can cut benefits and support for their employees and have charities take up the slack.

golach
12-Jul-12, 15:24
Notice no one is throwing brickbats at G4S,and their handling of the whole sorry affair, they are the firm at fault too many are too quick to find fault elsewhere.

lab
12-Jul-12, 15:47
[QUOTE=RecQuery;962913]
I've notice a trend lately of a decidedly US fawning masturbatory attitude to the armed forces.QUOTE]

WOW tell this to the soldiers in uniform refused entry to bars, to the lads living in conditions a slumlord would be prosicuted for. The 1st scots who despite having just returned from Afghanistan to find more than a 3rd of them no longer have a job. No they were not conscripted they volanteered to serve queen and country, to fight in wars no one asked for or even understand. Might just be me I dont know, but they deserve a dam sight more respect than they actuay get. Did you know a soldier who is injured in afghanistan before he has served 28 days wont even get a combat medal or his "bonus" for being in a war zone.
Ok a little of track but for a soldiers family the only coping method you have is counting how many days untill they are home on leave. For that to be canceled because of a private compony making a balls up of security is a slap in the face.

Gronnuck
12-Jul-12, 16:29
Were they conscripted? No they weren't. I'm sure some are treated pretty badly but there are lots of difficult and dangerous jobs out there.

I've notice a trend lately of a decidedly US fawning masturbatory attitude to the armed forces. I suspect it's encouraged by the government so they can cut benefits and support for their employees and have charities take up the slack.

No, none of our servicemen or women were conscripted and yes there are lots of difficult and dangerous jobs ‘out there’. The difference is that our servicemen and women don’t get the same protection from employment legislation (terms and conditions/working hours etc) or health & safety (clothing and equipment) that those employed in other dangerous jobs get.
OK they can leave and return to ‘civi street’ but such is their terms and conditions of service that they have to give a year’s notice and that can be refused because of the “exigencies of the service”.
Little wonder then that recruitment is down while retention rates and morale have fallen through the floor. Our servicemen and women are being treated appallingly by this government (you know, the one we elected).
There is a major issue in that Service personnel recently returned from Afghanistan are likely to lose the family holidays they spent the last year looking forward to and arranged during the school holidays. There is no guarantee they will be able to have a family holiday next year because of the “exigencies of the service”.
I am disgusted by your inane reference to a “fawning masturbatory attitude to the armed forces.” These men and women do what they do at the behest of your government so you and your like can sit in the comfort of your armchair and enjoy the freedoms you do.

sids
12-Jul-12, 17:27

You didn't make it clear that your over-reaction was about this catastrophe:
leave for some troops is likely to be cancelled. The BBC link says that, but gives no source.

Unlike yourself, I am far from sure what is happening to G4 employees' leave but, as said above, the firm is pretty notorious for its pay and conditions.

sids
12-Jul-12, 17:31
WOW tell this to the soldiers in uniform refused entry to bars

Even out of uniform, they're banned from some bars near to camps and barracks.

bluemafia
12-Jul-12, 17:38
AGAIN, it is the forces that have to cover the shortfall of civvy security companies! [disgust]

sids
12-Jul-12, 18:46
AGAIN, it is the forces that have to cover the shortfall of civvy security companies! [disgust]

Ok, cancelled family holidays are a big nuisance, if that's happening, but what's wrong with forces doing this stuff? If they're busy, then maybe fewer will be layed off.

wicker
14-Jul-12, 01:01
Its g4s at fault by not doing a proper recruitment drive for this and the goverment not using this to good effect to put people on the brew through their badge to do this job. I applied but they wanted me to go all the way to west ham stadium for an interview, no way was i paying all that money on travel on the off chance.

Corrie 3
14-Jul-12, 05:06
Dear Serving Soldier,

I appreciate that you may be a bit busy at the moment, but just before I give you the sack would you mind awfully helping out at a small sporting event we are holding in London this month. You see I have just spent £475,000,000 on a private firm to do the security but they trousered the money and cannot commit. I have managed to wangle an old warehouse for your accommodation & some rat packs for food, but you should be used to that by now.(Gotta keep the cost down L.O.L).
Many thanks
David Cameron.
P.S. You're my favourites .

Phill
14-Jul-12, 09:30
It's like an episode of Dad's Army but unfunny. Apparently G4S only realised a few days ago they'd screwed up the contract for the limpicks and now can't guarantee the guards they do have speak English. Seems the last minute recruitment drive in Afgahnistan has had some success. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18840464

Phill
16-Jul-12, 15:34
And the ones they DID manage to hire failed to turn up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18856922 So the Polis stepped in instead.

Corrie 3
16-Jul-12, 17:16
And the ones they DID manage to hire failed to turn up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18856922 So the Polis stepped in instead.
And a good time to be a burgler in Manchester eh Phill?

I don't know about you but every article I read about this farce at the moment always mentions G4S's share price and how much money they are going to lose by not fulfilling the contract! Now this tells me that it's all about money and not about peoples safety or even the games!!!
And to be honest, I am not surprised people are not turning up for duties. I can guess that G4s have either not informed them or they have decided that 3 weeks work on minimum wage is just not worth getting out of bed for!!!
How many years has the Olympic Committee had to organise the games? It beggars belief!!

C3...........:roll::eek:

RecQuery
17-Jul-12, 08:42
I noticed G4S is getting it for this monumental screw up and rightly so, but let us not forgot the government and ministers who gave the contract to G4S and then increased their security requirement from 2,000 people to 10,000.

This sort of thing happens with a lot of public contracts in that they go to the cheapest bidder who usually raises the price or revises the time scale half way through. This time it just happens to be a bit more high profile.

I do wonder how much of this is related to that other screw up Workfare.

Phill
17-Jul-12, 08:53
I do wonder how much of this is related to that other screw up Workfare.I'm convinced of it. I am sure that is where they were hoping to get a large number of peeps from until it went public at the jubly.

pottheed
17-Jul-12, 18:57
I have never understood why people are saying "jobcentre has failed" etc with G4S. One in 3 unemployed and half of all long term unemployed have criminal records, imagine the Daily mail headline "G4S employ lots of criminals to guard olympics"

Alrock
17-Jul-12, 19:32
...One in 3 unemployed and half of all long term unemployed have criminal records...

Number of Unemployed: 2.61 million....
So, by my reconing that would be 1.74 million without criminal records.