PDA

View Full Version : Attempted abduction

Fran
09-Jul-12, 17:04
A man tried to entice an 11 year old girl into his grey estate car on thurso road, Wick yesterday around 6pm. He is described as around 35, dark hair, pointed nose, wearing a stripe top, with an irish accent.

Tinkerbell09
09-Jul-12, 18:12
http://www.northern.police.uk/News-and-Media/news-item.htm?item_id=PR4711_2012&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I think this is awful. Wick just isn't safe anymore. :(

Tink x

catran
09-Jul-12, 19:55
Well, nobody knows who is who nowadays. Tesco all strange accents go down street all strange accents so who knows who is who. Caithness will have soon lost their accent....

Moira
09-Jul-12, 20:43
A man tried to entice an 11 year old girl into his grey estate car on thurso road, Wick yesterday around 6pm. He is described as around 35, dark hair, pointed nose, wearing a stripe top, with an irish accent.

You really should have posted a link to the official story here Fran. Without it your OP is just rumour and scaremongering.

http://www.northern.police.uk/News-and-Media/news-item.htm?item_id=PR4711_2012&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Tink x

Thanks for highlighting the police report Tinkerbell. I am concerned too.

Well, nobody knows who is who nowadays. Tesco all strange accents go down street all strange accents so who knows who is who. Caithness will have soon lost their accent....

I'm at a loss to understand your post. By what you've said all folk who don't speak with a local accent are suspects??!!

Oh dear, I feel really sad for you with an attitude like that. I'm local, born & bred, but don't support your ideas in any way, shape or form. [disgust]

Fran
09-Jul-12, 21:58
Dont know how to do that Moira, though i have tried, and dont feel I was making rumours as it has been on the hourly news all day.

oldmarine
09-Jul-12, 22:06

That is happening in too many places too often This pedefile needs to be caught and locked up for a long time. Hope they catch him soon.

tazette37
09-Jul-12, 22:12
well done to make parents aware of whats going on ,,,,,,to many white settlers comming into the caithness area !!!!!! just want our kids to be safe ,,,hopfully the kid hasent been to upset and is ok and they catch the piece of scum that has attempted this ,,,,,,,,

Moira
09-Jul-12, 22:23
Dont know how to do that Moira, though i have tried, and dont feel I was making rumours as it has been on the hourly news all day.

Ah ok, let me help you. What I would do is put the keywords of the "story" into a Google Search. Then I would copy the link in the address bar, then I would insert it into my post on the Org. Without that, your post only tells part of the story. That's why I said your original post was rumour & scaremongering.

Never mind, Tinkerbell posted a link which meant we could all read the official Police Report about the incident.

ducati
09-Jul-12, 22:25
Oh well, at least us white settlers can spell!

sids
09-Jul-12, 23:02
This pedefile

Oh well, at least us white settlers can spell!

But what about the accent?

Dadie
09-Jul-12, 23:06
OK Lets spell it out.
Those willing to prey on kids are not only white settlers.
The girl might have been offered a lift (unlikely) by a friend of a friends dad.
The girl had sense enough to not get into a car without knowing the occupant.
Hopefully the police will have a reg no or enough of the reg no to narrow down the search if its a local (by local I mean someone that lives in Caithness)
But the girl will have been shaken up and the offence highlighted in parents minds.
But if I have room in the car and I know the person on Thurso st as its a main bus stop and know they are going to where im going I usually offer a lift......should I stop offering a lift?,,, I dont care if they take it up or not....it seems rude not to offer ..or should I just wave and go in this day and age?

Moira
09-Jul-12, 23:30
OK Lets spell it out.
Those willing to prey on kids are not only white settlers.
The girl might have been offered a lift (unlikely) by a friend of a friends dad.
The girl had sense enough to not get into a car without knowing the occupant.
Hopefully the police will have a reg no or enough of the reg no to narrow down the search if its a local (by local I mean someone that lives in Caithness)
But the girl will have been shaken up and the offence highlighted in parents minds.
But if I have room in the car and I know the person on Thurso st as its a main bus stop and know they are going to where im going I usually offer a lift......should I stop offering a lift?,,, I dont care if they take it up or not....it seems rude not to offer ..or should I just wave and go in this day and age?

No, lets not.

That's exactly why this type of thread should not be allowed to appear on these Forums.

The Opening post did not link to the official Police Report.
Subsequent posts have mentioned "white settlers" & "paedophiles".
All are without substantiation and therein lies the problem.

The police report mentioned that the man "may have spoken with an Irish accent". So, if the wee girl is not local the Caithness dialect may have sounded Irish to her??.....

See what I mean? Let's leave it up to those in possession of all the facts.

theone
10-Jul-12, 00:39

Yip.

No crime in Caithness 'til Tesco came along.

Only foreigners in the Sherriff court...............

Buy the (local) paper you small minded bigot.

sam09
10-Jul-12, 01:11
Well done Fran with your warning, as for the hang em high brigade: Fran only brought to our attention a story in the news for us who may have missed it . Hopefully the low-life will be caught and our streets made safer.
We do ourselves no service by attacking others here on the org.

RecQuery
10-Jul-12, 09:27
If I may point something out:

"Police are appealing for information about a man who reportedly tried to encourage an 11-year-old girl to get into his car in Thurso Road, Wick at around 1830 last night (8 July 2012)."

So can we please not form a mob, jump to conclusions or speculated wildly.

Southern-Gal
10-Jul-12, 09:28
I wouldnt pay too much attention to the 'possible irish accent'.
Several Caithness born and raised people have told me that they regularly get their accent mistaken for irish when they go away or by visitors from the south so if adults can make the mistake then so could a young girl.

Phill
10-Jul-12, 09:41
Calm down dear (s)!
Enough of the bickering over Tesco's, white settlers, grammar & spelling.

This appears to be potentially a very serious incident and the more people that can be made aware the better!
It's a stark reminder that there are bad people / paedophiles everywhere and those of us with children need to constantly remind them about strangers and people they know asking to 'play' certain games or do unusual things.

Maybe the mods could make the Constabulary link a sticky post for a few days to save us from massing on Tesco's with pitchforks!

MerlinScot
10-Jul-12, 11:34

Tink x

I don't understand why someone has to feel that Wick (or Thurso) for that matter isn't safe anymore while if you go down south this is something that happens every 5 minutes.
Someone enticing a 11yr old girl wouldn't be news anywhere else.
To be honest, justice system ignores 90% of the reports concerning abuse and rape, I wonder what could happen to this guy if caught... one night in a cell?
Not even worth mentioning while I know (for a fact) that some abusers and worse were let near children and vulnerable adults anyway after allegations of rape and domestic violence :(

And really... how many foreigners do you see in Caithness? I'm not any good at local accents but I can recognise a foreign accent quite well, don't see that many... maybe it's just because I used to live in Edin.......

sam09
10-Jul-12, 11:38
Well said Phill. The only way to stop these incidents is to stick together as a community and not turn on each other.

RecQuery
10-Jul-12, 12:28
I don't understand why someone has to feel that Wick (or Thurso) for that matter isn't safe anymore while if you go down south this is something that happens every 5 minutes.
Someone enticing a 11yr old girl wouldn't be news anywhere else.
To be honest, justice system ignores 90% of the reports concerning abuse and rape, I wonder what could happen to this guy if caught... one night in a cell?
Not even worth mentioning while I know (for a fact) that some abusers and worse were let near children and vulnerable adults anyway after allegations of rape and domestic violence :(

And really... how many foreigners do you see in Caithness? I'm not any good at local accents but I can recognise a foreign accent quite well, don't see that many... maybe it's just because I used to live in Edin.......

In a more general sense, you can't penalise people for being accused of something especially when the investigation finds no corroborating evidence, in many cases even the accusation is destroying even the accuser admits they were lying later. On a side note most child abuse is committed by relatives or family friends anyway.

Tinkerbell09
10-Jul-12, 12:42
I'm just saying that I feel that it's not safe up here anymore. (Everyone entitled to their own opinions)

This isn't down South though, this is a very rare occurence that thing like this happen up here. There seems to be more and more bad things happening up here that you wouldn't of seen 10 years ago.

benji
10-Jul-12, 12:57
Ah ok, let me help you. What I would do is put the keywords of the "story" into a Google Search. Then I would copy the link in the address bar, then I would insert it into my post on the Org. Without that, your post only tells part of the story. That's why I said your original post was rumour & scaremongering.

Never mind, Tinkerbell posted a link which meant we could all read the official Police Report about the incident.

Gosh this comes accross as a little extreme .... no wonder posters such as me are put off when such sarcasm is rife...

*Martin*
10-Jul-12, 13:45
Holy chit! There are a lot of crazies on here :eek:

rich62_uk
10-Jul-12, 14:15
Sad to say but paedophiles are everywhere not just 'down south' ...

If the sentences that are given out reflected the crime then maybe just maybe we would not see so many however I doubt it as they would just go underground even more than they are already. Lock them up and throwing away the key to me is the only answer.

Yes as someone said it is mainly children in the paedophiles own family that are abused and abductions are rare however we should all be vigilant in looking for signs of any kind of abuse towards a child as they cannot protect themselves and need adults to do this for them. I do not mean going over the top as this in itself I believe can cause problems too.

Adults/parents/carers can do this in many ways one of which it to teach your child to help protect themselves, one of the ways you can teach them this is to allow them to be in control of their own body.... Example.... Nan or Grandad are asking for a kiss goodbye a normal thing to do but sometimes the child does not want to for whatever reason maybe they are just grouchy who knows ! But by saying to the child that its ok to refuse a hug/kiss from someone then you are allowing them to be in control of their own body and in my mind teaching them to say no to an adult regarding a kiss hug is a positive thing.

Some people will disagree but if I had been given that power over my own body then maybe I would not of been abused ? Who knows. I do know I was taught to never defy an adult which left the door wide open to anyone to abuse me.

Corrie 3
10-Jul-12, 14:31
Gosh this comes accross as a little extreme .... no wonder posters such as me are put off when such sarcasm is rife...
I have always found Moira to be very helpful and never extreme. I think you have taken her post the wrong way!

C3...........:eek::eek:

benji
10-Jul-12, 14:38
I have always found Moira to be very helpful and never extreme. I think you have taken her post the wrong way!

C3...........:eek::eek:

not sure c3 have read a few of her posts now and some have been a little near the edge...

Mind you I duck in and out of the forums now because there is so much rampant bullying / disrespectfulness about on caithness.org from lots of members that I am sure in her 4000+ posts she has lots of nice things to say. I suspect that there are lots of people unwilling to contribute to the boards because of the tone of way too many posts.

laguna2
10-Jul-12, 14:49

I didn't think there was anything wrong with Moira's post - she was merely explaining to Fran how to post a link - as she had said she didn't know how to do it.

benji
10-Jul-12, 14:56
I didn't think there was anything wrong with Moira's post - she was merely explaining to Fran how to post a link - as she had said she didn't know how to do it.

Yes re-reading Moira's post I was a little quick of the mark and I apologise for any worries caused. Sometime you do need to read a posting several times before you can get through to the meaning. No doubt I will now get a torrent of abuse.

laguna2
10-Jul-12, 15:22
Yes re-reading Moira's post I was a little quick of the mark and I apologise for any worries caused. Sometime you do need to read a posting several times before you can get through to the meaning. No doubt I will now get a torrent of abuse.

No abuse from me ... nice to see that some people are willing to admit that they have been too quick off the mark - that doesn't happen very often on here!!! :)

Mr P Cannop
10-Jul-12, 16:16
is there not CCTV in that area ??

Moira
10-Jul-12, 22:07

No apology required as no worries caused. This thread is not about me or my previous postings on the forums.

It's about a potentially, serious incident which occurred in my hometown of Wick, involving a young girl. I thought it inappropriate for the OP to post their interpretation of what had happened without linking it to an official report & said so.

I'll continue to encourage fair, balanced posts on the forums even when some folk take umbrage.

bluelady
11-Jul-12, 00:08
well done to make parents aware of whats going on ,,,,,,to many white settlers comming into the caithness area !!!!!! just want our kids to be safe ,,,hopfully the kid hasent been to upset and is ok and they catch the piece of scum that has attempted this ,,,,,,,,

too many white settlers eh? without us I dont think there would be much economy in Caithness and isnt "white settlers" being racist?? and finally a recent report indicated that there are several sex offenders in Caithness and the majority of them are not "white settler" - Brain in gear before mouth moves in future methinks! :roll:

tazette37
11-Jul-12, 11:12
http://forum.caithness.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tazette37http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=962335#post962335)well done to make parents aware of whats going on ,,,,,,to many white settlers comming into the caithness area !!!!!! just want our kids to be safe ,,,hopfully the kid hasent been to upset and is ok and they catch the piece of scum that has attempted this ,,,,,,,,

BLUELADY
too many white settlers eh? without us I dont think there would be much economy in Caithness and isnt "white settlers" being racist?? and finally a recent report indicated that there are several sex offenders in Caithness and the majority of them are not "white settler" - Brain in gear before mouth moves in future methinks! :roll:

Just the kind of response i would expect !!!!!!!!! freedom of speech !!!!!!!!!!!!

pat
11-Jul-12, 14:55
No that is not freedom of speech - that is racist speech - and this comment is coming from a person born in Caithness but now resident in the Outer Hebrides.

I do not care where a person was born, brought up, colour of their skin, they are a person who should be respected for being part of your community for however long they may be - passing through or deciding to stay a bit longer, they are as entitled to live anywhere they want.

How many of your ancestors have moved away - yes to Glasgow, Aberdeen, Canada, Australia, to the next village, very few will have stayed in the same place for many generations.

I hope they do find the perpetrator very soon, that type of experience will always be well remembered by that young person and will make her very cautious always.

bluelady
11-Jul-12, 16:39
No that is not freedom of speech - that is racist speech - and this comment is coming from a person born in Caithness but now resident in the Outer Hebrides.

I do not care where a person was born, brought up, colour of their skin, they are a person who should be respected for being part of your community for however long they may be - passing through or deciding to stay a bit longer, they are as entitled to live anywhere they want.

How many of your ancestors have moved away - yes to Glasgow, Aberdeen, Canada, Australia, to the next village, very few will have stayed in the same place for many generations.

I hope they do find the perpetrator very soon, that type of experience will always be well remembered by that young person and will make her very cautious always.

Well said Pat, whooly agree, where ever I have lived I have always been involved in keeping kids safe, my own or others and even now my own are grown, I still keep an eye on kids playing out in the street, especially the wee ones- whose ever they are and whatever race or creed they are as there is nothing worse than these sex offenders who live in our communities!

secrets in symmetry
15-Jul-12, 00:55
A man tried to entice an 11 year old girl into his grey estate car on thurso road, Wick yesterday around 6pm. He is described as around 35, dark hair, pointed nose, wearing a stripe top, with an irish accent.Nee naw, nee naw, nee naw...

What is it with you Fran? You don't seem to be happy unless you're chasing ambulances or spreading bad news on the forum. In this case, you've taken allegations and turned them into "facts" that have not been substantiated. Does that make you feel important?

Wiseowl
16-Jul-12, 20:54
I'am baffled as to why a simple thread regarding this particular incident which has happened recently, has turned into ANOTHER thread consumed with people who are posting to argue for the sake of arguing! Lets just be happy that the girl managed to get home safely to her parents, and hope that the NC find the potentially dangerous man.

catran
16-Jul-12, 22:16
Fran was only trying to give a warning to be vigilant