PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Fuel

bobbyb
09-Jul-12, 12:51
Hi,

Just a quick post to let people know I got dirty fuel from tesco at weekend and had a lot of probs with the van. I see im not the only one by the look of the paper. I for one will not by buying any more fuel from tesco. Its cheaper to go else where if u have to get ur tank flushed when it all goes wrong.

scorpion
09-Jul-12, 20:56
Hi all ,further to the stories about tesco fuel , i lived in Wick for the last five years and travelled to and from work in Thurso five days a week using Tesco fuel and never had a problem with the car in all that time ,in fact was thankful for the money saved over the period thanks to their price

Moira
09-Jul-12, 21:37
I'll second your opinion Scorpion and travel around Caithness/Sutherland & beyond on a weekly basis - Tesco Unleaded.
Hubby can third that opinion, same as me, but he uses Diesel. :)

annemarie482
09-Jul-12, 22:19
i assume you have taken your concerns to tesco?
before publicly blaming their product?

Gronnuck
09-Jul-12, 22:33
Hi,

Just a quick post to let people know I got dirty fuel from tesco at weekend and had a lot of probs with the van. I see im not the only one by the look of the paper. I for one will not by buying any more fuel from tesco. Its cheaper to go else where if u have to get ur tank flushed when it all goes wrong.

If you have grounds to suspect dirty fuel your immediate action should have been to inform Trading Standards so they can take a sample either from Tesco's tanks or from yours and have it tested. Whinging about it on the Org only serves to spread rumour and gossip.

Moira
09-Jul-12, 22:47
I'm guessing by the unsubstantiated posts on the Org recently we could be looking at entering this as a category at the Olympics......

sids
09-Jul-12, 23:05
Hi,

Hi Bobby.

I don't believe you.

bluechesse
09-Jul-12, 23:24
Hi Bobby.I don't believe you.Just call a spade a spade! Love it!

theone
10-Jul-12, 00:48
The fuel at Tesco meets BS standards.

If it doesn't, and IF it damages an engine, you'll get compensation.

Have you had it tested?

I doubt it.

A tesco tanker holds 35000 litres of fuel. Roughly 700 car tank fulls. I'm pretty sure if the fuel was faulty there would be more than you being "not the only one" having problems.

All fuel in the north of Scotland comes from Grangemouth, regardless of the name tag and "special additives" included.

abz02
10-Jul-12, 04:51
Tesco fuel is cheap for a reason, if you have used it for long enough you will find a massive difference in your cars performance with i.e esso and the like

I won't use tesco fuel in my lawnmower, having worked in Grangemouth i assure you this fuel is not refined the same as others.

Same goes for the rest of the supermarkets.

donss
10-Jul-12, 08:20
So if I get my fuel elsewhere, I can get my grass cut in half the time?

Bonus. ;-)

was wondering why it took me all Saturday afternoon: It was Tescos fault all along...

Eilanboy
10-Jul-12, 08:57
My present car is eight years old and have been using Tesco deisel all that time except for the odd occasions when I used Morrisons.Still going as good as the day I got it.
One vehicle out of hundreds hardly makes it a crisis.

poppett
10-Jul-12, 09:04
Have done 96,000 miles using mostly supermarket fuel and have never had a problem. Having said that, car is regularly serviced and an annual shot of "forte" to clean the engine.

Look after the machine and the machine will look after you.

Same applies to lawnmowers, they should be serviced annually.

Whitewater
10-Jul-12, 09:45
I have been using Tesco/Morrisons/Asda fuel all the time for many years in my cars, both petrol and diesel, never any problems with them. Most diesel cars have particulate filters fitted, to keep them clean you have to drive at 2500rpm for about 20 mins every so often to clear them. This is most important if you are only driving around the town or doing short runs. You don't need to go fast to get the revs up, you can use a low gear. Regular maintenance is also very important. As has already been stated, they all have to comply with the required standards.

annemarie482
10-Jul-12, 11:19
you can use whatever fuel you want, but if your gonna let it go so low that your "running on fumes" then of course all the crap in the bottom of the tanks gonna clog you up ;)

Niander
10-Jul-12, 11:38
Its obvious Tesco wants to pay out thousands
for tanks emptied and compensation
Totally obvious...;)

theone
10-Jul-12, 13:30
having worked in Grangemouth i assure you this fuel is not refined the same as others.

Can you expand on this?

There is only one refinery at Grangemouth, one refining process. All fuel leaving the refinery has a standard ron number.

This refinery is owned by and operated by Ineos.

Ineos supply fuel to a company called Greenergy. This company supply fuel to Shell, BP and Texaco petrol stations as well as Morrisions, Tesco and Asda.

Greenergy is part owned by a certain company called Tesco.

So, there you go. The next time you fill up at a shell or BP station, remember your fuel is supplied by Tesco.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1333631/Tesco-poised-dominanttakes-lead-road-fuel-supplier.html

Phill
10-Jul-12, 15:02
Tangent time: I wonder how many people service their cars to manufacturer spec' these days? I was surprised to find that the fuel filter wasn't changed every service according to Renault schedules, I have it changed regardless. You'd be surprised just how much muck you can throw through an engine before it keels over, chances are, as annemarie points out, it'll be the muck and water in the bottom of your tank that causes upset.

ducati
10-Jul-12, 18:55
Tangent time: I wonder how many people service their cars to manufacturer spec' these days? I was surprised to find that the fuel filter wasn't changed every service according to Renault schedules, I have it changed regardless. You'd be surprised just how much muck you can throw through an engine before it keels over, chances are, as annemarie points out, it'll be the muck and water in the bottom of your tank that causes upset.

I would imagine there would be an embarrassing number of stalled cars on the forecourt had such an occurrence er occurred.

Anyway of all the stuff you put in an engine, fuel is unlikely to cause a problem as it's interaction with the the parts is so fleeting and ends rather catastrophically. :eek:

mey999
10-Jul-12, 20:03
Filled van up sunday morning drove to yorkshire 510 miles had no bother

Phill
11-Jul-12, 12:41
Apparently Tesco's garage has been closed this morning!
(and my lawn mower wont start!)

groater
11-Jul-12, 13:09
it was open at 10.00 this morn

DSS
11-Jul-12, 13:22
Whys it closed?

abz02
11-Jul-12, 13:54
Seems even though i have been part of the refining process i clearly know absolutley nothing !
There are basic standards Petrol has to meet and it meets basic standards, If you all think iam buying tesco fuel from a shell station you are very much mistaken, the standards for the likes of B.P and Shell are higher than the basic standard supermarket Petrol, thus more is produced cheaper the passed on to the comsumer, My friend owns a small garage in forres and has (since tesco started selling fuel there) Replaced a huge amount of Catalytic converters and Lambda probes as his customers have been using Tesco Petrol. Diesel has much the same additives as any other Diesel with the exeption of B.P utimate and the like.

As for the smart comments of lawn mowers, the amout of time it take you to cut yer grass is probably based on the amount of weetabix you've consumed (probably from Tesco's).
I await any further smart comments

theone
11-Jul-12, 16:32
Seems even though i have been part of the refining process i clearly know absolutley nothing !,

I wouldn't say that, but your knowledge does seem flawed. As said before, all fuel in the north Scotland, Shell, BP, Esso, Tesco is supplied from Grangemouth, owned and operated by Ineos/PetroChina. The refining of crude into petroleum is all done in the same way onsite.

There are basic standards Petrol has to meet and it meets basic standards, If you all think iam buying tesco fuel from a shell station you are very much mistaken,

Have a look here http://www.exxonmobil.co.uk/UK-English/files/Supply_Solutions.pdf . Look at the map, ESSO shows us that its fuel in Scotland comes from a "3rd party" , that third party is Ineos at Grangemouth.

Now read this article again:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1333631/Tesco-poised-dominanttakes-lead-road-fuel-supplier.html

Tesco are part owners of Grennergy, and "Greenergy, which was founded as a bedroom start-up in 1992, already supplies petrol and diesel to about 20 per cent of Britain's service stations, including those of BP, Shell and Texaco. It also supplies forecourts owned by Morrisons and Asda.

So there it is, Tesco supply "Shell" petrol stations.

On the greenergy website, http://www.greenergy.com/Products_services/independent_retailers.html , if you fancy opening your own petrol station, supplied from Grangemouth "(They) won’t constrain you to a single brand. If you would like to change your forecourt branding, we will work with you on a number of different options."

Same source of fuel, same supplier, different brands.

abz02
11-Jul-12, 17:53
I wouldn't say that, but your knowledge does seem flawed. As said before, all fuel in the north Scotland, Shell, BP, Esso, Tesco is supplied from Grangemouth, owned and operated by Ineos/PetroChina. The refining of crude into petroleum is all done in the same way onsite.

Have a look here http://www.exxonmobil.co.uk/UK-English/files/Supply_Solutions.pdf . Look at the map, ESSO shows us that its fuel in Scotland comes from a "3rd party" , that third party is Ineos at Grangemouth.

Now read this article again:

Tesco are part owners of Grennergy, and "Greenergy, which was founded as a bedroom start-up in 1992, already supplies petrol and diesel to about 20 per cent of Britain's service stations, including those of BP, Shell and Texaco. It also supplies forecourts owned by Morrisons and Asda.

So there it is, Tesco supply "Shell" petrol stations.

On the greenergy website, http://www.greenergy.com/Products_services/independent_retailers.html , if you fancy opening your own petrol station, supplied from Grangemouth "(They) won’t constrain you to a single brand. If you would like to change your forecourt branding, we will work with you on a number of different options."

Same source of fuel, same supplier, different brands.

Yes agreed, same fuel different grades of fuel, you won't get 99 octane tesco momentum from a shell staion or any other station, its produced for tesco only,
97ron Shell optimax and 97ron shell/esso fuels are higher grade fuels even in 95 ron form, the additives are put in to fuels later, i.e at Grangemouth. all iam saying is Supermarket fuel is not treated the same as others apart from the higher octane fuels supermarkets supply.
As for pricing tesco buy huge amounts of the stuff and sell it quickly and pass that on to us , so as far as getting dirty fuel from tesco i would disagree with that as mentioned at the begining of the post.

Phill
11-Jul-12, 21:05
There was contamination in my lawn mower, apparently too much air in the fuel tank.

ducati
11-Jul-12, 21:14
There was contamination in my lawn mower, apparently too much air in the fuel tank.

You have to watch that, particularly if it is the wrong kind of air.

GuitarHero
13-Jul-12, 19:36
Some people want to blame Tescos for everything. What next? "I bought toilet roll out of Tescos yesterday and when I went to use it I was constipated the whole week!!! So don't buy toilet roll out of Tescos as look what will happen to you when you do..."

peedie man
13-Jul-12, 20:04
think you will find all Simpsons fuel comes from Immingham not Grangemouth

theone
13-Jul-12, 20:22
think you will find all Simpsons fuel comes from Immingham not Grangemouth

Do Simpsons supply petrol to the petrol stations?

Phill
13-Jul-12, 21:17
Think they might be supplying tesco up here, saw one of their new tankers in the delivery section at Wick the other day.

starfish
13-Jul-12, 21:23
if it was tesco fuel how comes it only affected your car. Half of caithness would be at a stand still as we all use tesco so do not think the fuel to blame, Which garage done the repair on your car was it one that supplies fuel?

Kodiak
14-Jul-12, 12:20
I have been using Tesco Fuel for as long as they have been open. Never a problem no matter what car I drove or which fuel, be it Petrol or Diesel. What I would like to know is :- Does the OP have any interest with any other Fuel Station within Caithness?