PDA

View Full Version : life in the nick

johno
28-Nov-06, 12:28
Read in the newspaper today that mass murderer Rose West was receiving donations from well wisher s. Seems she is able to afford sweet s binges of up to hundreds of pounds at a time. what kind of people is it that would send this pervert cash anyway? I thought that being in prison was to be punished ,not rewarded. What with con,s getting thousands of pounds of tax payer,s money for slopping out and now druggie,s are about to be given free dope to quell their habit. seems to me that most criminal,s are better off supposedly locked up?. human rights.? they should be stripped of any human rights simply by being in jail . Would like to know if there are any orger,s out there that agree with me on this issue
:mad: [disgust]

angela5
28-Nov-06, 12:46
Well-wishers have you ever heard the like, i read about it this morning, she really is having a cushy time, dining on gourment food, chocolates and fizzy sweets. Who in their right mind would be sending her cheques and postal orders, next we'll be hearing she gets out on day trips to cash her postal orders. Well as for Avon products she uses there not doing her much good, bad advert for Avon's wrinkle cream.:roll:

JAWS
28-Nov-06, 15:46
What I wonder about is thought processes of those sending the money. I would love to know what on earth they are thinking which makes them act like that.

The only conclusion I can arrive at is that they see some sort of "glory" in having some kind of association with somebody of such notoriety.
In effect a kind of "Fame by Proxy".

Rheghead
28-Nov-06, 15:57
Read in the newspaper today that mass murderer Rose West was receiving donations from well wisher s. Seems she is able to afford sweet s binges of up to hundreds of pounds at a time. what kind of people is it that would send this pervert cash anyway? I thought that being in prison was to be punished ,not rewarded. What with con,s getting thousands of pounds of tax payer,s money for slopping out and now druggie,s are about to be given free dope to quell their habit. seems to me that most criminal,s are better off supposedly locked up?. human rights.? they should be stripped of any human rights simply by being in jail . Would like to know if there are any orger,s out there that agree with me on this issue

I understand what you are saying but I disagree. Whilst I agree that prison should be no holiday, I still think they are entitled to their basic rights to sanitation, health and communication to family members. If people feel inclined to send her money for sweets then that is their right. Personally, if she chokes or gets too fat and has a heart attack on them then she must be allowed access to hospital treatment. The taking away of liberty is the punishment. The day we start treating her like a yard dog like she did to her victims is the day we become monsters ourselves.

johno
28-Nov-06, 16:26
I understand what you are saying but I disagree. Whilst I agree that prison should be no holiday, I still think they are entitled to their basic rights to sanitation, health and communication to family members. If people feel inclined to send her money for sweets then that is their right. Personally, if she chokes or gets too fat and has a heart attack on them then she must be allowed access to hospital treatment. The taking away of liberty is the punishment. The day we start treating her like a yard dog like she did to her victims is the day we become monsters ourselves. I didnt mean to treat them inhumanly[ as they did their victims]
i just meant that they are there for the purpose of being punished, then punished they should be. why give them sweets , donations from outside etc.
if they want those things then let them earn it. to get compensated for slopping out [up to 4k & more for depriving them of their drug habits. sorry but all this just will not wash ,not in my book anyway

Rheghead
28-Nov-06, 16:59
If Rose West has been given money then surely it is hers to do with how she wants so long as it doesn't inconvenience staff/inmates or threaten the Public's security? I can't see how eating sweets is going to harm anyone?

Are you advocating state-sponsored theft?

melted_wellie
28-Nov-06, 17:19
too many do gooders, too many people sympathising with poor old Rose. She should have done the honourable thing and hung herself like her partner in crime did, saving the tax payer a fortune.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Nov-06, 17:28
How do you measure punishment, especially in her case, I wonder?

JAWS
28-Nov-06, 17:37
So Imprisoned Gang Leaders should have the right to have every comfort they wish if their cronies decide to keep on the right side of them by funding them out of the proceeds of further crime?

All prisoners should be equally treated and there should be no special treatment for those who's crimes bring them to National Notoriety.

To talk about such monies, should they be confiscated, in such terms as "State Sponsored Theft" is as ridiculous as describing a criminals detention as "State Sponsored Kidnapping" or Taxation as "State Sponsored Extortion".

percy toboggan
28-Nov-06, 17:46
The woman seemed prone to corpulence so one imagines she resembles the gable end of a granite terrace these days.

She should have swung from a re-inforced rope. Instead she is cosseted in a some high security nick attracting the curious and morbid attentions of all manner of nutjobs and perverts.

Gleber2
28-Nov-06, 17:55
To talk about such monies, should they be confiscated, in such terms as "State Sponsored Theft" is as ridiculous as describing a criminals detention as "State Sponsored Kidnapping" or Taxation as "State Sponsored Extortion".

Well, isn't it already?

rich
28-Nov-06, 18:01
What is the source of the Rose West story?
And why should anyone give a rat's expleteve deleted about it even if it is true and not a News of the World concotion?
This sort of drivel from Scotland's premier web-site!
Get a life, folks...

Rheghead
28-Nov-06, 18:02
So Imprisoned Gang Leaders should have the right to have every comfort they wish if their cronies decide to keep on the right side of them by funding them out of the proceeds of further crime?

If the court can prove that the wealth has come from crime then it can confiscate it. So the answer is no, they shouldn't.

All prisoners should be equally treated and there should be no special treatment for those who's crimes bring them to National Notoriety.

In a material world like ours then rich prisoners are entitled to buy in too a soft prison. I have no objection to it in principle

In my experience, a prisoner's belongings is unaffected by the state of his liberty.

It is not a perfect judicial system but it's the one we have and it is better than all/most others.

DrSzin
28-Nov-06, 19:08
And why should anyone give a rat's expleteve deleted about it even if it is true and not a News of the World concotion?
Get a life, folks...It's from the News of the World's weekday sister. Look here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006550268,00.html) if you must.

From the article:

A source said: “It is not unusual for her to receive gifts of up to £40 a time.

“It’s absolutely staggering why anyone would want to show her kindness.

“Only the people themselves know why they do this.”

It's strange world we live in...

danc1ngwitch
28-Nov-06, 19:34
Some people have a great Gift, They have the Gift of being able to FORGIVE no matter how horrible the crime... These people who forgive have a great sense of inner peace and thats just great ... but then what about the ones that are not right in the head maybe some of these people who fantasize about things that Normal minds would never indulge into... maybe they are the ones sending the things to ROSE... It indeed takes all kinds... i do wish there was more of my kind though:roll: ( i know as i whisper low not a subject for joking around on ) x no harm intended

johno
28-Nov-06, 19:48
Get a life, folks... we have a life , more than the poor souls that Rose West murdered

Dreadnought
28-Nov-06, 20:04

Bring back the death penalty. A length of rope is a hell of a lot cheaper than keeping someone in jail for the rest of their lives.

danc1ngwitch
28-Nov-06, 20:07
Bring back the death penalty. A length of rope is a hell of a lot cheaper than keeping someone in jail for the rest of their lives.

straight to the point... see you have inner peace too ...lol...

scorrie
28-Nov-06, 22:40
The Human Race has some funny ideas. One of these is that some of us are in some way superior to others. This manifests itself in the ubiquitous "going down to their level" statement, when it comes to talking about suitable punishment for the most heinous crimes.

The typical result of such thinking is that we take great care to ensure that murderers, rapists, paedophiles etc are well fed, warm, given interesting things to do and are rehabilitated at great expense. Meanwhile, people who fought for their country are left to freeze, starve and vegetate, as thanks for leading an honest life.

Why not face the fact that some "people" are no more than a piece of Jimmy White? What have they done to earn our sympathy? It all boils down to a "What would Jesus do?" scenario and the belief that a "Lamb" gone astray can be safely returned to the flock. When the truth is that, in many cases, a "Wolf" is let loose to run amok again.

People will argue the pros and cons of Capital Punishment from now till Doomsday (well maybe Friday) but it has to be said that since Fred West hanged himself he has not commited any further crimes. He has also been a lot cheaper to look after and we were not faced with him bringing out a book "West Side Story 2?" this Christmas.

As the Sun said at the time "Happy Noose Year", they were Knot wrong ;o)

caithness import
28-Nov-06, 22:58
rose west and those like her, found guilty without doubt for their crimes should be taken out, into as yard. face a wall and summarily executed. End of story. No glory, minimal cost, and no lingering hangers on.

lin
30-Nov-06, 03:46
No council tax, morgage or rent, leccy or gas bills, no worrying if you have enough cash to do you over the Christmas period. And this is punishment???
What is she missing tell me that????

pultneytooner
30-Nov-06, 12:51
The Human Race has some funny ideas. One of these is that some of us are in some way superior to others. This manifests itself in the ubiquitous "going down to their level" statement, when it comes to talking about suitable punishment for the most heinous crimes.

The typical result of such thinking is that we take great care to ensure that murderers, rapists, paedophiles etc are well fed, warm, given interesting things to do and are rehabilitated at great expense. Meanwhile, people who fought for their country are left to freeze, starve and vegetate, as thanks for leading an honest life.

Why not face the fact that some "people" are no more than a piece of Jimmy White? What have they done to earn our sympathy? It all boils down to a "What would Jesus do?" scenario and the belief that a "Lamb" gone astray can be safely returned to the flock. When the truth is that, in many cases, a "Wolf" is let loose to run amok again.

People will argue the pros and cons of Capital Punishment from now till Doomsday (well maybe Friday) but it has to be said that since Fred West hanged himself he has not commited any further crimes. He has also been a lot cheaper to look after and we were not faced with him bringing out a book "West Side Story 2?" this Christmas.

As the Sun said at the time "Happy Noose Year", they were Knot wrong ;o)
Then you start having people that have been wrongly convicted and executed, i.e, derek bentley.

melted_wellie
30-Nov-06, 13:00
Then you start having people that have been wrongly convicted and executed, i.e, derek bentley.
That was 50 years ago, policing has moved on, as has science, bring back capital punishment i say.

pultneytooner
30-Nov-06, 13:35
That was 50 years ago, policing has moved on, as has science, bring back capital punishment i say.
Policing has moved on which is why through new d.n.a procedures and suchlike, certain people that were previously thought guilty and placed on death row in america are now found to be innocent.
Although I don't disagree with the death penalty for particular crimes I feel that Until crime solving is an exact science then the death penalty is a no-no as far as I am concerned.

golach
30-Nov-06, 16:06
No council tax, morgage or rent, leccy or gas bills, no worrying if you have enough cash to do you over the Christmas period. And this is punishment???
What is she missing tell me that????
And allegedly all the illeagal drugs you could ever want [disgust]

rich
30-Nov-06, 16:32
I suppose it wouldn't be Christmas without the floggers and pro-hanging lobby waxing eloquent on the Caithness org.
The ideal Christmas gift for these reactionaries would be for a prison to be erected in the wilds of the flowe country, complete with bloodhounds and manacles and hard labor at the peat bogs.
From time to time the more virulent members of the hanging/flogging brigade could visit and stick sharp sticks into the eyes of the malefactors.
What a thrilling prospect!
What a warm feeling!
What a wet dream!

golach
30-Nov-06, 20:18
I suppose it wouldn't be Christmas without the floggers and pro-hanging lobby waxing eloquent on the Caithness org.
The ideal Christmas gift for these reactionaries would be for a prison to be erected in the wilds of the flowe country, complete with bloodhounds and manacles and hard labor at the peat bogs.
From time to time the more virulent members of the hanging/flogging brigade could visit and stick sharp sticks into the eyes of the malefactors. What a thrilling prospect!
What a warm feeling! What a wet dream!

Whats the floe country done to you to deserve this idea? Leave it as it is.
Now Stroma is lying empty, no need for dogs, chains, the hard labour I would suggest, would be surviving without shelter

connieb19
30-Nov-06, 20:21
Whats the floe country done to you to deserve this idea? Leave it as it is.
Now Stroma is lying empty, no need for dogs, chains, the hard labour I would suggest, would be surviving without shelter
What's Stroma done to you? Leave it as it is. [disgust]

sam
30-Nov-06, 20:46
I agree with you connie, why spoil a lovely place with the likes of them send them to saughton, fryerton or barlinnie:Razz

johno
30-Nov-06, 21:49
I agree with you connie, why spoil a lovely place with the likes of them send them to saughton, fryerton or barlinnie:Razz

yes stroma is a lovely place. what do they call that island thats infected with anthrax. Noydart ?
or something like that. WOULD BE BETTER.

Dreadnought
30-Nov-06, 22:19
Why not just send them to France.

golach
30-Nov-06, 22:22
I retract my statment about Stroma, I really meant any uninhabited island, we have a perfect one down here The Isle Of May, much bigger than poor wee Stroma, and further away from land and it was a prison for French prisoners of war in the Napoleonic wars, so I would let them live there.

connieb19
30-Nov-06, 22:28
I retract my statment about Stroma, I really meant any uninhabited island, we have a perfect one down here The Isle Of May, much bigger than poor wee Stroma, and further away from land and it was a prison for French prisoners of war in the Napoleonic wars, so I would let them live there.
Does that mean you retract your childish pm you sent me too or is that the sort of message to expect form a moderator? :confused

golach
30-Nov-06, 22:38
Does that mean you retract your childish pm you sent me too or is that the sort of message to expect form a moderator? :confused
My Pm of ROFLMAO was meant to let you know I thought your post was good and I was laughing at myself. But if I offended you then I am sorry, I say this as .Orger not as a Moderator, I will remember in future my sense of humour and yours are not the same.
If this is not enough of an apology for you then tough!!

connieb19
30-Nov-06, 22:41
My Pm of ROFLMAO was meant to let you know I thought your post was good and I was laughing at myself. But if I offended you then I am sorry, I say this as .Orger not as a Moderator, I will remember in future my sense of humour and yours are not the same.
If this is not enough of an apology for you then tough!!
If it wasn't meant to offend why was it done by pm and not on the board so everyone else could see if it was insulting or not :confused

sweetpea
30-Nov-06, 22:54
I bet if Rose could read this now she would be having a right chuckle to herself to see what controversy she causes. Don't feed her ego as this is the kind of thing she thrives on.
I'm afraid to say all prisoners have human rights and this includes being able to accumulate money, either from earning it by doing jobs or people sending them donations and they have shopping lists to choose from, a bit like on Big Brother. You can't stop people from sending her money. Most of them probably have severe mental illness but even so there is no way the authorities will withold it from her.

scorrie
30-Nov-06, 23:14

The Derek Bentley case was tragic, in that he had an alleged mental age of 11. I would like to think that with today's better scientific tools and greater awareness of diminished responsibility it would lead to a very different outcome were the death penalty still an option. I think that Scottish Law at the time recognised "diminished responsibilty" but that it was not the case in England.

When considering the possibility of someone in today's Britain facing charge of a crime they did not commit, one had to ask how they came to be in that situation? I would wonder what percentage of the population could be likely to end up as a murder suspect, with no good reason, on any given day?

If we look at Derek Bentley's case we see that he accompanied a friend who was armed with a revolver and a large knife on the day of the incident. If you are keeping that company then you are more likely to end up in trouble and, surely, Bentley would have been guilty of a lesser charge.

In any case, my statement concerning Fred West was not a call for Capital Punishment, merely an observation that it will divide opinion ad infinitum. I drew attention to the "benefits" society has reaped since West's self-imposed game of Hangman and I pose the question as to whether we, as a society, have gone too far in the mercy stakes by trying to rehabilitate those who commit crimes, often against the most vulnerable members of our society?

We are certainly a strange species. Love letters for the Yorkshire Ripper, baggies o' Werthers Originals for poor auld Rose West. Let's all hev a whip roond and send a Playstation 3 to Saddam Hussein.

Rheghead
01-Dec-06, 01:25
The Derek Bentley case was tragic.

I think the public now thinks that the case is now tragic due to the very publicised film ' let him have it'. That film, like all films of its ilk, cf. 'In the name of the father' only tell one side of the story.

melted_wellie
01-Dec-06, 01:36
From time to time the more virulent members of the hanging/flogging brigade could visit and stick sharp sticks into the eyes of the malefactors.
What a thrilling prospect!
What a warm feeling!
What a wet dream!
better than shooting innocent ducks and geese etc, sign me up, now where can i get a sharp stick?

scorrie
01-Dec-06, 13:01
I think the public now thinks that the case is now tragic due to the very publicised film ' let him have it'. That film, like all films of its ilk, cf. 'In the name of the father' only tell one side of the story.

What are you trying to say Rheghead? That Bentley didn't have the mental age of an 11 year old?

I have already stated that Bentley was in the company of a guy with a gun and a knife and that he was surely guilty to some extent.

Bentley had a mental age of less than 18 but was allowed to be hanged because he was actually 18, his partner in crime, who had the gun and knife was mentally older but because his actual age was less than 18 he could not be hanged. That means that Bentley died because of a nominal figure of 18 is supposed to cover ever possible scenario think that's pretty tragic and I have not seen the "very publicised" film that is supposed to bias my judgement.

DrSzin
01-Dec-06, 19:38
I retract my statment about Stroma, I really meant any uninhabited island, we have a perfect one down here The Isle Of May, much bigger than poor wee Stroma, and further away from land and it was a prison for French prisoners of war in the Napoleonic wars, so I would let them live there.What's the Isle of May (http://www.isleofmayferry.com/) done to you? Leave it as it is. [disgust]

(With apologies to connie for borrowing her post without permision. :) )

golach
01-Dec-06, 20:39
What's the Isle of May (http://www.isleofmayferry.com/) done to you? Leave it as it is. [disgust]

(With apologies to connie for borrowing her post without permision. )
Doc the ideal place then, the transport system is already in place, and an added tourist attraction for the Neuk, Isle O May it is then[lol]

johno
01-Dec-06, 22:12
Doc the ideal place then, the transport system is already in place, and an added tourist attraction for the Neuk, Isle O May it is then[lol] never heard of the isle of may, BUT. it has to be too good a place for cold blooded killer,s . ive come to the conclution now ,that HELL definately is a fit and proper place to imprison them. Huntley, Brady ,Hindley i believe is already there keeping the place nice and warm for them.

Saxo01
01-Dec-06, 22:26
never heard of the isle of may, BUT. it has to be too good a place for cold blooded killer,s . ive come to the conclution now ,that HELL definately is a fit and proper place to imprison them. Huntley, Brady ,Hindley i believe is already there keeping the place nice and warm for them.
Should be like the romans & stick them against each other in the arena, Not many human rights problems etc in them days

JAWS
02-Dec-06, 22:31
Poor souls all of them, Without checking how many can remember the names of West's victims?
Was she simply an accomplice of Fred West or did she herself commit murder without his assistance?
What was the name of Bentley's accomplice and the name of the PC who was shot by him?

It's very strange how people show great concern for the fate of murderers and their willing accomplices and so readily put their victims out of their minds.

As far as I am concerned that says a tremendous amount about the state of today's society.
Great concern can be displayed about the vilest of criminals but any memory of their victims is cast aside like yesterdays rubbish.

golach
02-Dec-06, 23:42
Poor souls all of them, Without checking how many can remember the names of West's victims?
Was she simply an accomplice of Fred West or did she herself commit murder without his assistance?
What was the name of Bentley's accomplice and the name of the PC who was shot by him?

Great concern can be displayed about the vilest of criminals but any memory of their victims is cast aside like yesterdays rubbish.
I am with you on this Jaws

scorrie
03-Dec-06, 00:46
I am with you on this Jaws

Here Golach, you seem to be with Jaws on EVERYTHING. Are you guys brothers or perhaps siblings unknowingly seperated at birth?

ps. 10 points for anyone who can remember the poor schmuck killed by Lee Harvey Oswald ;o)

sweetpea
03-Dec-06, 01:15
Is it any wonder that one of their daughters is visiting Rose in jail?

golach
03-Dec-06, 01:39
Here Golach, you seem to be with Jaws on EVERYTHING. )
So you got a problem with that?

Stewart
04-Dec-06, 05:23
Ah yes, the death penalty...

It doesn't work. Look at the amount of people on death row in America to see that. Then look at the amount of people who committed a crime where they got life in prison instead of death. Deterrent? Is it nothing.

Life is life, no matter who it is. The person you're killing is a living, breathing human being. Did Fred and Rose west think of that as they tortured and kill their victims? I'd bet my life saving they didn't. Would you be thinking of the fact that you are doing the same thing that they did when you pulled the trigger/pulled the lever/injected the drugs?

Put it this way, if your child committed a murder, would you be dancing all the way to their execution.

Never mind the cost to the taxpayer that the appeals would cost.

Dreadnought
04-Dec-06, 09:06
Never mind the cost to the taxpayer that the appeals would cost.

Would those appeals cost more than keeping murderers, rapists etc. in luxury until the day they die?

If my child`was convicted of such a crime you are right, I wold not wan to see them die. But the victm's family would. Who is more important, the criminal or the victim?

The bleeding hearts have had their way for decades, and it has failed. Criminals are now kept in luxury while their victims are forgotten. Criminals are no longer afraid of the law because they know the worst they'll get is a few months of easy time, doing drugs and playing computer games.

Time to go back to a system that works. Time to remove their bleeding heart sympathisers from the criminal justice system and bring back the death sentence.

changilass
04-Dec-06, 12:53
If my child`was convicted of such a crime you are right, I wold not wan to see them die. But the victm's family would. Who is more important, the criminal or the victim?

The main problem with this is that the criminals family also become victims of the crime, what about the kids of the criminal - what did they do wrong????

Stewart
04-Dec-06, 17:16
Would those appeals cost more than keeping murderers, rapists etc. in luxury until the day they die?

The bleeding hearts have had their way for decades, and it has failed. Criminals are now kept in luxury while their victims are forgotten. Criminals are no longer afraid of the law because they know the worst they'll get is a few months of easy time, doing drugs and playing computer games.

Time to go back to a system that works. Time to remove their bleeding heart sympathisers from the criminal justice system and bring back the death sentence.

What if the victim's family said; 'no, we don't want them to die.' what happens then? Do you still kill this person?

The death penalty doesn't work. It's no deterrent, the people who murder are going to murder if they get killed or not. It makes no difference, and it's just a way for bloodthirsty people to take revenge.

I agree that prisons in this country need to be sorted out, but when it gets to the point where you're asking for state-sponsored killings, it's going too far.

Look at the cases in the US where people with mental problems get given the death penalty. If you were in the jury that convicted the person, and condemned them to death, could you live with yourself?

Also, look at the amount of black and Hispanic people in America who get the death penalty handed down to them, far, far higher to the proportion of people who are white, commit the same crime, and then get the death penalty. Are you saying that this wouldn't happen in the United Kingdom?

Then look at the family of the person who committed the crime. Now, not only do they have to look on as one of their nearest and dearest destroys another family, they have to cope with them being killed. It's not fair, and it doesn't work.

scorrie
04-Dec-06, 19:54
So you got a problem with that?

Just making an observation. I always picture you sitting there with Puppy-like eyes reading Jaws' posts.

Lighten up and show a sense of humour, it seems a commodity that is lacking on this "new and improved" forum.

ps I have read the terms and conditions many times and do not need to be reminded that I signed up for better or worse, richer or poorer and in sickness and in health ;o)

scorrie
04-Dec-06, 20:14
The death penalty doesn't work.

I think you need to clarify that statement further.

In terms of preventing a murderer from committing more murders, it cannot be denied that the Death Penalty is very effective.

Whether or not the Death Penalty is a greater deterrent than our "tough" prison regime seems obvious to deduce but I would think that you would need to look at the circumstances in which a killing took place, e.g. whether it was pre-meditated, provoked, random, motiveless etc, to determine whether the assailant may have considered the consequences of their actions if brought to trial. I also feel that people who have very little quality of life to look forward to are much less likely to fear Death, far less the removal of their Liberty. Perhaps Society should look at the gulf between the "haves" and the "have nots" in our world and consider whether anything can be done to make more people feel included, rather than having so many factors that keep us seperate.

danc1ngwitch
04-Dec-06, 20:37
why not just let the families loose on them... As they enjoyed the feeling of what they did to the victims... and they did enjoy it as if they didna they would have stopped, and i danna care if they say there werena right in their heads... I know 2 wrongs don't make a right and all that but let the families decide after all some of us do beleive in an eye for an eye... infact i think i recall that in the bible from primary school but i canna be sure as i danna read the bible now. ( i feel tired and my speeeeling suckkks ) ops thats a touch of humor that the forum is lacking ... xxx lol

golach
04-Dec-06, 20:44
Just making an observation. I always picture you sitting there with Puppy-like eyes reading Jaws' posts.
Lighten up and show a sense of humour, it seems a commodity that is lacking on this "new and improved" forum.
My reply is that I read Jaws postings because I like his ideas and the way he thinks, a lot are similar to mine.
As for my alleged lack of humour, I see nothing amusing in some of the snide remarks that are posted on here attacking posters and moderators and the Admin alike.
for all you know scorrie, I may be sitting here laughing my head off at your posts [lol]

Dreadnought
04-Dec-06, 20:46
What if the victim's family said; 'no, we don't want them to die.' what happens then? Do you still kill this person?

Absolutely. We do not have, nor should we ever have, people other than Judges handing down capital punishment.

The death penalty doesn't work. It's no deterrent, the people who murder are going to murder if they get killed or not. It makes no difference, and it's just a way for bloodthirsty people to take revenge.

What utter, wishy-washy, liberal nonsense. That is the same tosh that was spouted by Lord Longford about poor, misunderstood Myra Hindley. The same poor misunderstood Myra Hindley who, along with Ian Brady, got her kicks torturing and killing children. Scum like that only deserve death. They do not deserve any more consideration than a plague carrying rat.

I agree that prisons in this country need to be sorted out, but when it gets to the point where you're asking for state-sponsored killings, it's going too far.

And it is not going too far when you ask that we pamper murderers, rapists, killer paedophiles etc. for the rest of their lives, at OUR expense?

Look at the cases in the US where people with mental problems get given the death penalty. If you were in the jury that convicted the person, and condemned them to death, could you live with yourself?

Also, look at the amount of black and Hispanic people in America who get the death penalty handed down to them, far, far higher to the proportion of people who are white, commit the same crime, and then get the death penalty. Are you saying that this wouldn't happen in the United Kingdom?

Yes I am. We have a vastly better understanding of mental ill-health in this country than they have in the US.

Then look at the family of the person who committed the crime. Now, not only do they have to look on as one of their nearest and dearest destroys another family, they have to cope with them being killed. It's not fair, and it doesn't work.

Aw diddums, was it fair when their 'nearest and dearest' went out abducting children or killing and raping?

angela5
04-Dec-06, 20:50
why not just let the families loose on them...

I watched a dvd the other night 'banned from tv' there was a clip in it, About 2 men in Brazil that were convicted of abducting and raping a young girl, they were put against a wall and 6 members from this girls family were given a gun each and just shot away at them.

scorrie
05-Dec-06, 00:00
My reply is that I read Jaws postings because I like his ideas and the way he thinks, a lot are similar to mine.
As for my alleged lack of humour, I see nothing amusing in some of the snide remarks that are posted on here attacking posters and moderators and the Admin alike.
for all you know scorrie, I may be sitting here laughing my head off at your posts [lol]

Pretty hard to see nothing amusing and yet be laughing your head off.

Anyway, "So you got a problem with that"? just doesn't come across at all as someone laughing their paps off.

scorrie
05-Dec-06, 00:03
I watched a dvd the other night 'banned from tv' there was a clip in it, About 2 men in Brazil that were convicted of abducting and raping a young girl, they were put against a wall and 6 members from this girls family were given a gun each and just shot away at them.

And what point are you making?

Was it good to see the guys get their just desserts? Did it come across as being just as barbaric as the original offence? Are you pro or anti-firing squad?

jay
05-Dec-06, 14:19
don't see how anyone can agree to capital punishment when so many rulings are overturned these days - how falliable is the new scientific technology? look at that poor policewoman who spent years clearing her name all because her "colleagues" messed up with a fingerprint, how long will it be before there is a similar case involving DNA?

johno
05-Dec-06, 14:22
In the news today, Rose West has sent a letter to her family telling them that she do,es not want to see them ever again and that she is not a good mother and they will be better off without her.

HOW VERY TRUE [lol]

angela5
05-Dec-06, 14:45
In the news today, Rose West has sent a letter to her family telling them that she do,es not want to see them ever again and that she is not a good mother and they will be better off without her.

HOW VERY TRUE [lol]

I think it was more to do with her children asking her "uncomfortble questions" about the horrific murders. Pretty evil that she has never owned up to her part in the killings and still insists on blaming it all on Fred.

JAWS
05-Dec-06, 23:00
Don't worry angela5, I suspect most people can understand your post so there's no need to waste your time explaining it.

Those who intend not to understand will never understand.

scorrie
06-Dec-06, 00:14
Don't worry angela5, I suspect most people can understand your post so there's no need to waste your time explaining it.

Those who intend not to understand will never understand.

What is this vague, arrogant post about Jaws?

JAWS
06-Dec-06, 01:12
Exactly what it says, no more and no less.

scorrie
06-Dec-06, 15:35
and yet another thread dies.