PDA

View Full Version : Mobile scam..........so beware!

poppett
08-Jul-12, 10:03
Used to getting lots of texts re ppi etc., and just delete them.

Three weeks ago a text caught my eye which informed me "until you text stop to 60700 you will be charged 2GBP per day for our services".

Phone provider could not tell me anything about the company using this text number but said it would only cost 10pence to stop it and worth that if they can`t then take any money. Did this, thought no more about it, but had kept the text message they sent back confirming the "subscription" had been cancelled.

Got the mobile phone bill in on Friday, contracts and always within budget so no hidden costs except as I thought the premium fee text message. How wrong could I be! After the so called "subscription" was cancelled they had multiple charges of 2GBP within a couple of minutes, all printable and all proof I should need to get a refund.

Phone provider again very helpful, but can not refund this money as they didn`t receive any of it, it just goes straight to the company, but they have been inundated with callers in similar circumstances, some of whom just ignored the message and have had mega quid taken over the three weeks. They gave me a premium rate number to phone which has no alternative on the say no to 0870 scheme but decided to phone anyway. Call was quickly answered by a polite english spoken lady but put on hold.........then I got Robert who speaks German and Swiss at 100mph and has me in tears before I get the address from him as he doesn`t use the international phonetic alphabet. He calls me "stupid" and ends the call, so now two premium rate with a long wait number down the line I get him back again..........odds of that unless it is a one man show is millions to one against.........and this time we get the address.

Not holding out much hope of getting anywhere with this as trading standards were not interested as the company is based in Germany, but if enough people are having the same problem then the police would certainly investigate.

If anyone else needs the address just let me know and I will post it as there is no point in wasting half an hour of your time on hold on premium rate to suffer the same abuse as I did.

They say it is for an internet gambling/gaming site and ask for an email address to help you get your refund, but if you give them your email addy they will say you clicked on a link and have to pay up..........just say you don`t have internet access therefore have no email address to give.

Sorry it is long winded, but hope I can save othere the same grief.

ducati
08-Jul-12, 16:32
How did they take the money? Don't pay that portion of the bill if you haven't and cancel contract immediately with your phone provider. If they can't stop this scam they don't deserve yours or anyone else's business. Who is your provider? Report them to OFCOM. I can't see how any scammer can put charges on your bill without colusion from your provider.

poppett
08-Jul-12, 18:16
The money they took shows on the Vodafone bill as "additional purchases". I have now got a block on our contract phones so in theory this can`t happen again, to us, but it hasn`t stopped them scamming many others.

Vodafone say they have no control who sets up a business account to text messages to people and their only gain is the premium text message rate to send the "STOP" message, they in turn have to pass on the money to the company who say to have received the text message I would have had to click on a link to a gambling/gaming site which anyone who knows me would know I would never do.

Today they have offered me a good deal to stay with them on contract (which was only renewed two days before this came to light!) and an assurance it can`t happen again to us.

I will indeed pass all this information on to OFCOM and they are fine folk to deal with having battled BT for my dad some time ago over double charges for the same phone number in two different houses 13 months after he had moved.

Had to contact landline provider today to get the price of the calls to Germany to include that in my claim too, and mentioned it was a shame they always have good deals for new customers, but nothing for the loyal ones who stay with them....bit of a cheek as I was migrated to Talk Talk in the big Pipex switch....came off the phone a very happy girlie with six months half price landline and broadband....so it does pay to complain.

ducati
08-Jul-12, 19:32
The money they took shows on the Vodafone bill as "additional purchases". I have now got a block on our contract phones so in theory this can`t happen again, to us, but it hasn`t stopped them scamming many others.

Vodafone say they have no control who sets up a business account to text messages to people and their only gain is the premium text message rate to send the "STOP" message, they in turn have to pass on the money to the company who say to have received the text message I would have had to click on a link to a gambling/gaming site which anyone who knows me would know I would never do.

Today they have offered me a good deal to stay with them on contract (which was only renewed two days before this came to light!) and an assurance it can`t happen again to us.

I will indeed pass all this information on to OFCOM and they are fine folk to deal with having battled BT for my dad some time ago over double charges for the same phone number in two different houses 13 months after he had moved.

Had to contact landline provider today to get the price of the calls to Germany to include that in my claim too, and mentioned it was a shame they always have good deals for new customers, but nothing for the loyal ones who stay with them....bit of a cheek as I was migrated to Talk Talk in the big Pipex switch....came off the phone a very happy girlie with six months half price landline and broadband....so it does pay to complain.

Good for you poppett and thanks for bringing this to our attention :D

poppett
09-Jul-12, 17:22
Thank you Ducati for making me think again and phone Vodafone back this afternoon.

I was very nice, told them all the reasons I didn`t want to leave, then asked them to reconsider the facts regarding this extra charge. My ancient Nokia 3310 does not even sent or receive picture messages and certainly has no internet connection so I could not have possibly have connected to the service online from my mobile. They do not (yet) have the facility to block all future attempts to take money but have highlighted my account so it it happens again I will not have to pay. This could be a service they offer in the future.

It would appear they have been inundated with calls from irate folks with the same problem and now accept this is a scam and will block all future use of their services to this "company" which appears to be run by one man from a house!

As a gesture of goodwill to a long standing customer Vodafone have agreed to credit my account with the cost of the calls and my talk-talk bill to contact the company. The right response from Vodafone........the best encouragement from Ducati.

ducati
09-Jul-12, 17:34
Great stuff poppett. These people should be hunted down and have their ankles broken. (and that is just Vodafone:eek:)

gmcborgie
09-Jul-12, 20:15
Have you informed Trading Standards? I'm sure they'd love to hear about this scam.

poppett
10-Jul-12, 09:07
I sent them an email with all the details and suggested they at least alert people to this massive scam via the media.

As my phone provider has "sorted" the problem for me they appear not to be interested.