PDA

View Full Version : A wanderer returns

Captain Sarclet
08-Jul-12, 04:44
Hello everyone,

After having spent some time as a modern-day explorer and wanderer, I'm planning on coming back to work and spend some time in Scotland. I'll probably be living in Edinburgh, maybe Glasgow.

But first I have to wander my way back, I'm thinking of taking the long way back.

sids
08-Jul-12, 06:21
Hello everyone,

After having spent some time as a modern-day explorer and wanderer, I'm planning on coming back to work and spend some time in Scotland. I'll probably be living in Edinburgh, maybe Glasgow.

But first I have to wander my way back, I'm thinking of taking the long way back.

Is it directions you want?

oldmarine
08-Jul-12, 07:31
Looks like you have been here before. You shouldn't need any directions.

plutonio
08-Jul-12, 09:51
i cannae wait ! thanks for sharing that great news with us.

Captain Sarclet
08-Jul-12, 13:43
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've obviously been away from that biting Caithness wit for far too long.

Captain Sarclet
08-Jul-12, 13:55
The forum software is impressive. It knows my time-zone and my last post was timed at 08-Jul-12, 22:43.

Does this mean I should know whether Andy Murray won Wimbledon?

Captain Sarclet
12-Jul-13, 00:01
Wandering back from the other side of the world can take a long time. Andy lost the 2012 Wimbledon final several hours after I last posted on this site. I was asleep at the time. This time the news is much happier and I am not only much closer to home, but I'm also very close to where he trained as a teenager. I'm sure I'm not the only Caithness expat to have screamed at the TV in an unfamiliar hotel bar late on Sunday afternoon. I know I'm not the only expat Scot to have done so because a number of us formed a small gathering. I shouted the loudest though.

The locals thought we were crazy. :)

ducati
12-Jul-13, 08:24
The locals thought we were crazy. :)

Conversley, the locals here are crazy. :lol:

Big Gaz
12-Jul-13, 10:41
The forum software is impressive. It knows my time-zone and my last post was timed at 08-Jul-12, 22:43.

Aye, it may be impressive but it doesn't know what time Tesco opens!!

ginajade
12-Jul-13, 23:56
Welcome back Captain Sarclet

Captain Sarclet
13-Jul-13, 00:13
I'm not quite back yet. It'll be Scotland tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, or the day after that. Caithness will have to wait a little longer. After five years there's no rush. I'm a local and I'll not deny I'm crazy. :)

orkneycadian
15-Jul-13, 17:38
I'll not deny I'm crazy. :)

I'd never have guessed! ;)

Captain Sarclet
14-Jul-14, 01:18
My return was delayed again a year ago. Shall I return this year or head south into Africa?

orkneycadian
14-Jul-14, 18:51
Depends on how the 18th of September goes. If it somehow goes against what everyone is saying, and even the bookies are offering, the Africa sounds attractive.

Captain Sarclet
15-Jul-14, 01:37
I'm minded to stay away until then anyway. I do worry that introspection amongst Scots (both native and immigrant) has reached a level that a yes vote isn't totally out of the question. Contrastingly, the chance of my return after a yes vote is so negligibly low that I would surely never return. I'm not even sure I would want to come back to a Scotland that has as many as 33% yes voters. Insularity and navel gazing aren't my thing. A friend works in Ghana part of the year, he seems keen to recruit me.

squidge
15-Jul-14, 15:27
Do what your heart tells you honey, if you think you would feel like you would regret an opportunity missed by not going to Ghana, then you should go. Dont be misled into thinking that the debate is introspective though Captain. In real life its vibrant, and exciting and positive and outward looking. You would be amazed! travel safely. :)