PDA

View Full Version : Planning for the future of Thurso

Zero
06-Jul-12, 16:26
Driving across Thurso road bridge you might be forgiven for not noticing what a bloody state the riverside is on the south east side where obriens yard and the now derilict sawmills once were, its been like that for as long as anyone can remember! Across scotland many towns have had their seafront and harbours upgraded with marina's and the like, surely the key to sprucing up thurso in the wake of dounreay's downfall is too develope the riverside from obriens to the roadbridge. I dont mean more ugly legobrick blocks of flats like those built in swanson street and beside dunnets to name just a few of the most hidious designs blighting our bonnie wee toon!

Thurso needs a new breath of life and any new buildings should be a modern reflection of our past cultural heritage. The crows steps on the gables of the youth club are a perfect example of old caithness architecture, and trible arches on the ground floor are also remenissant of caithness barns and cobble buildings. A weir built just further than the ellen bridge would also add to the astetics of the river by keeping a constant pool of slow moving water from the ellen to the road bridge, hiding the unsightly seaweed at low tides and also keeping the seals out of the river. This may also benefit salmon on low waters, a slamon ladder would be built to allow easy access up the wier for the fish. The shoreline in front of the castle is also in need of repair and upgrading for the benefit of tourists, get the grass cut, make good baths, get the lights back on the castle, car park and amenitys for surfers at thurso east. I actually cant beleive this hasnt been done already.

Now that some of this land has come up for sale something should be done by the powers that be to ensure this site gets the attention it desereves in the comming years, Thurso is already becomeing a derilict wasteland enough with the tescos site, harpors corner, and the towngardens all looking rather delapidated. Lets not let this oppertunity slip us, its little wonder hardly any tourisits stay here and appreciate what caithness has to offer compared to orkney cos unlike them we dont do enough to make the best of the gifts that we do have!

Gronnuck
06-Jul-12, 17:28
Good idea - now lets increase our council tax by 20%, slap a toll on crossing the bridge and invoke Compulsory Purchase Orders so we can get started. :confused;)

Zero
06-Jul-12, 19:10
I suppose your right the glass is half empty! whats the point after all??? as a community wee canna even sort out one individual wreck of a building on a street corner. whats our chances of sorting this out. in fact with attitudes like these what hope do we have after doom-reay. Might as well wait till its all to late and hope that someone else will sort it all out for us eh? shamefull attitude! you wouldnt have been much use in the wars biy!

oldmarine
06-Jul-12, 20:42
Driving across Thurso road bridge you might be forgiven for not noticing what a bloody state the riverside is on the south east side where obriens yard and the now derilict sawmills once were, its been like that for as long as anyone can remember! Across scotland many towns have had their seafront and harbours upgraded with marina's and the like, surely the key to sprucing up thurso in the wake of dounreay's downfall is too develope the riverside from obriens to the roadbridge. I dont mean more ugly legobrick blocks of flats like those built in swanson street and beside dunnets to name just a few of the most hidious designs blighting our bonnie wee toon!

Thurso needs a new breath of life and any new buildings should be a modern reflection of our past cultural heritage. The crows steps on the gables of the youth club are a perfect example of old caithness architecture, and trible arches on the ground floor are also remenissant of caithness barns and cobble buildings. A weir built just further than the ellen bridge would also add to the astetics of the river by keeping a constant pool of slow moving water from the ellen to the road bridge, hiding the unsightly seaweed at low tides and also keeping the seals out of the river. This may also benefit salmon on low waters, a slamon ladder would be built to allow easy access up the wier for the fish. The shoreline in front of the castle is also in need of repair and upgrading for the benefit of tourists, get the grass cut, make good baths, get the lights back on the castle, car park and amenitys for surfers at thurso east. I actually cant beleive this hasnt been done already.

Now that some of this land has come up for sale something should be done by the powers that be to ensure this site gets the attention it desereves in the comming years, Thurso is already becomeing a derilict wasteland enough with the tescos site, harpors corner, and the towngardens all looking rather delapidated. Lets not let this oppertunity slip us, its little wonder hardly any tourisits stay here and appreciate what caithness has to offer compared to orkney cos unlike them we dont do enough to make the best of the gifts that we do have!

That will require a large increase in taxes. Are you willing to pay a large increase in taxes?

Alrock
06-Jul-12, 21:01
Well... they have just managed to knock one billion of the cost of decommissioning Dounreay, surely a chunk of that saving could be ploughed back into the community rather than as I suspect, back into Government coffers to help fund yet another tax cut for their rich friends.

focusRS
06-Jul-12, 21:09
I would be willing to pay a local tax that would benefit the county. How said local tax would be collected, stored and handed out to worthy projects though would be a difficult task.

Gronnuck
06-Jul-12, 23:02
I suppose your right the glass is half empty! whats the point after all??? as a community wee canna even sort out one individual wreck of a building on a street corner. whats our chances of sorting this out. in fact with attitudes like these what hope do we have after doom-reay. Might as well wait till its all to late and hope that someone else will sort it all out for us eh? shamefull attitude! you wouldnt have been much use in the wars biy!

Nowhere did anyone say the glass, any glass, is half empty. In fact I'm usually quite optimistic, so for me the glass is still half full but who’s going to pay to top it up?
I don't have the advantage of your historical knowledge of Thurso since I only moved to the county three years ago. I don't know how long the wreck of a building you describe has been that way but I'm sure you will be aware of any discussions between the owner, Highland Council and the local Community Council; maybe you can update us all.
When you've been around a bit you will learn that towns and cities across the country have buildings and plots of land similar to those you complain about. There are many reasons why development is slow, delayed or never happens. The principle one being money and at the moment there isn't a great deal sloshing about, in fact I'd say there won't be much for a while yet.
It would be great if something could be done to develop Thurso's Riverside but let's be honest where would we get the people from to use it, spend their money and sustain it's future? Thurso isn't exactly awash with visitors for six months of the year and we're not the most affluent community hereabouts.

thirsaloon
07-Jul-12, 20:36
I agree with Zero, but its all down to money at the end of the day. Everything needs funding of some sorts these days and of course community spirit to get behind it.

Zero
07-Jul-12, 21:41
"I don't know how long the wreck of a building you describe has been that way but I'm sure you will be aware of any discussions between the owner, Highland Council and the local Community Council; maybe you can update us all." recently they've been having more discussions just like they have been for the past decade, and we still have a big building there. but hopefully in the comming years well see some real progress and not just more procrastination and beuracracy!

Returning to the question there have been countless projects across scotland to upgrade seafronts and marina's to improve the local appearance and attract tourist's. Were sitting in quite a good place here in caithness with all the big corps viaing to bribe us from dounreay, wind turbines, offshore renewables, camerons big scoiety projects, theres no end of money being chucked about i dont see why local taxes have to rise or even if they could considering SNP fixed council tax rates.

All im saying is thats a prime prominet location in thurso and whatever gets built there should be an iconic peice that puts thurso firmly on the map! whether it be privatly or publicly funded!

ducati
08-Jul-12, 04:47
All im saying is thats a prime prominet location in thurso and whatever gets built there should be an iconic peice that puts thurso firmly on the map! whether it be privatly or publicly funded!

How about this?

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4940789245739059&pid=1.1

cazmanian_minx
08-Jul-12, 10:52
I'm sure I saw that piece of land go through either SVA or Wilson's auctions a couple of months ago - anyone know if it sold?

Mads101
08-Jul-12, 20:15
What a breath of fresh air. Thurso needs people with positive attitudes to get the town moving forward and as you say, get it the attention it deserves. Plenty of tourists are willing to travel to John O Groats/Orkney/Shetland via Thurso, they just don't stay in Thurso because of the reasons you have highlighted. Caithness is so beautiful, has stunning scenery and rich history/archaeology. These are the same reasons that tourists make the effort to travel to Orkney. There will always be pessimistic/glass half empty attitudes from those who can't see the bigger picture. The demise of Dounreay is an excellent opportunity for new business ventures/tourism/funding in Thurso and Caithness. It is making people think about the future of the region because in the past, they have not had to as they relied (perhaps too heavily) on income from Dounreay. I would be interested to know what attempts the council/local government have made regarding funding for tourism/redevelopment of riverside/castle area. I completely agree with all your suggestions.

oldmarine
09-Jul-12, 03:49
Some good positive suggestions made above. Perhaps Thurso could become a tourist attraction as good as some of the other locations.

RecQuery
09-Jul-12, 07:39
Good idea - now lets increase our council tax by 20%, slap a toll on crossing the bridge and invoke Compulsory Purchase Orders so we can get started. :confused;)

Or alternatively the Highland Council could cut down on some of their perks and extravagances. All in this together, right?

sam09
10-Jul-12, 11:53
The future of our communities are in all our hands, either through the ballot box (if elected members do not deliver vote them out) or by volunteering ourselves to do some-thing about our own area. Why not form a group and approach the Council or local businesses for funding and spruce up the eye-sores in your own area?