PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if im flattered or fustrated...

Dadie
04-Jul-12, 22:35
I was asked for age ID today....never been asked in years....then relised I didnt even carry ID with my age on as it was so long since needing it!Drat!Apparently I still look under 25!...even with my 3 kids in tow.....It was in the CO-OP incase you are wondering....I was dressed for dogwalking...no makeup and scabby waterproof ...oh btw Tesco served me!...Wish I was under 30 nevermind 25 these days!

starfish
04-Jul-12, 23:04
just think its the co op being a jobs worth a friend of our went to buy some wine to have with our meal , he had his 13 year old daughter with him and the staff refused to serve him in case he was buying it for his daughter. As dadie said tesco served them no problem

Buttercup
04-Jul-12, 23:17
Many stores now have a "Challenge Policy" and if you look under 30 (or 25 in some places), the assistant must ask for ID. If they don't ask they can be severely disiplined and are liable to loose their job. This is supposed to happen every time for age restricted items and if you don't have ID you don't get the product. Who'd be a shop assistant? They're probably only on the minimum wage and I've witnessed the abuse they get when they refuse a sale on more than one occassion!

theone
04-Jul-12, 23:24
The supermarkets are bad for this now.

I go in on a Wednesday morning, buy £100 worth of shopping then get ID'd for a 6 pack of lager. I'm in my 30's.

It happens so often, even with the same till operator that I'm almost tempted to fill the trolley with frozen food, wait for it to defrost a bit, then go to the checkout. If they won't sell the beer, just say sorry then walk out without the rest............

It's maybe not the cashiers fault, they're doing what they're told, but let's be honest, the majority of underage drinking (and purchasing) won't be done by someone with a trolley of household goods.

How many off-licenses in Scotland lost their right to sell drink for underage selling last year?

None. Not one.

Buttercup
04-Jul-12, 23:25
just think its the co op being a jobs worth a friend of our went to buy some wine to have with our meal , he had his 13 year old daughter with him and the staff refused to serve him in case he was buying it for his daughter. As dadie said tesco served them no problem
And who is the first to get the blame when underagers get alcohol?
Answer: The shop. That is why these stores are bringing in these policies - to protect themselves and their staff.

Dadie
04-Jul-12, 23:26
I should have taken the kids in with me...but we were just off the beach..and they were "not dressed" as they went in the water hoisting up their trousers 2 " and going in waist deep!...I didnt have spare clothing ...well not enough spare clothing to go round(one child left in a vest and nothing else and no footwear for any of them)...and never thought in my life I looked less than 25! ....never been asked for ID for years....told by the manager that he may have ID 'd me.....and im in my 30s ...34 to admit to it truthfully.
OK I know they are only doing their job...etc....but Im darn sure I dont look or dress like a teenager trying to look older even!
I took the eldest/most dressed and youngest in with me...the cashier is used to seeing me with the youngest 2...yapping with customer behind me about middle child not going to school this year etc....and P2 for eldest ...

starfish
04-Jul-12, 23:28
that may be buttercup but how many of us go shopping with our kids in tow will we not be allow to buy drink or can of deodrant in case we buy it for the kids to sniff where has common sense gone these days.

theone
04-Jul-12, 23:28
And who is the first to get the blame when underagers get alcohol?
Answer: The shop. That is why these stores are bringing in these policies - to protect themselves and their staff.

"Protect" them from what?

I read an article recently which stated that NOBODY has had a license revoked for selling alcohol to underagers in the last year.

Hardly a deterent..............

Buttercup
04-Jul-12, 23:32
The supermarkets are bad for this now.

I go in on a Wednesday morning, buy £100 worth of shopping then get ID'd for a 6 pack of lager. I'm in my 30's.

It happens so often, even with the same till operator that I'm almost tempted to fill the trolley with frozen food, wait for it to defrost a bit, then go to the checkout. If they won't sell the beer, just say sorry then walk out without the rest............

It's maybe not the cashiers fault, they're doing what they're told, but let's be honest, the majority of underage drinking (and purchasing) won't be done by someone with a trolley of household goods.

How many off-licenses in Scotland lost their right to sell drink for underage selling last year?

None. Not one.

Because in the vast number of cases it is not underagers that are buying it. I've seen groups of them hanging around outside a shop and stopping other customers and asking them to buy it for them.

Dadie
04-Jul-12, 23:36
Blinking whatsits...if I was buying for underagers decent red wine would be last on the list of acceptable drinks!
Now if it was vast quantities of cheap lager/cider or alcopops ....then the ID warning may have gone off in my head!
But red wine and a decent (semi expensive bottle) wouldnt figure much in underage drinking along with the rest of the trolley full.

Buttercup
04-Jul-12, 23:38
"Protect" them from what?

I read an article recently which stated that NOBODY has had a license revoked for selling alcohol to underagers in the last year.

Hardly a deterent..............
To protect themselves and their staff from prosecution, there are huge fines that can be imposed. But you're not seriously saying that Stores are really wanting to break the law and sell to underagers!

starfish
04-Jul-12, 23:41
well if groups of kids are hanging around outside the store harassing customers they should be made to move on. Any one that does buy the drink for the youngster are simply idiots . If they felt threaten by the youths once in the shop report it so staff members , Then if it become a regular promblem they should phone the police to make there presents know ,the youths would then know they are being watched and fine something else to do

Buttercup
04-Jul-12, 23:42
Blinking whatsits...if I was buying for underagers decent red wine would be last on the list of acceptable drinks!
I see you point but then if they served you with no ID, what would they say to the customer behind you who had none and were underage. But to be fair you can't have one law for one and another for others just because it suits us at that moment.

golach
04-Jul-12, 23:46
I worked in both Sainsburys and Asda, and often asked a senior citizen females if they had ID, this was a bit of flattery on my part, as they were obviously over the age limit.....but it made them and me laugh, till operators have a sense of humour also.

Buttercup
04-Jul-12, 23:46
well if groups of kids are hanging around outside the store harassing customers they should be made to move on. Any one that does buy the drink for the youngster are simply idiots . If they felt threaten by the youths once in the shop report it so staff members , Then if it become a regular promblem they should phone the police to make there presents know ,the youths would then know they are being watched and fine something else to do
Indeed, exactaly what happened. They scattered and probably went to another store.

Dadie
04-Jul-12, 23:50
I am 34.
Not even 30...and I have never been accused of looking less than 30.....and the person behind me was older than me as we were discussing our kids .....as could have been heard by anyone listening in....should anyone less than 40 take photographic ID with them?

Buttercup
04-Jul-12, 23:56
I am 34.
Not even 30...and I have never been accused of looking less than 30.....and the person behind me was older than me as we were discussing our kids .....as could have been heard by anyone listening in....should anyone less than 40 take photographic ID with them?

Sorry, I should've said "a" customer behind you rather than "the", didn't intend it to be taken literally.

Dadie
05-Jul-12, 00:04
No but a customer behind me is a person I know...so the person behind me was the same!
And from the conversation we had...the till operator should have known what age bracket to put me in....if not my face which doesnt say less than 25...no surgery or fillers...Im 10 years over whats looked for and I know it/look it!

august1917
05-Jul-12, 00:30
I never get asked for ID! Dadie, take it as a compliment, although inconvenient. I need to start going to the Co-op!

Dadie
05-Jul-12, 00:45
|t is an ego boost...am I that young?..nah....are they that old to think im that young....erm ...yup!.....
thats me back to normality with a bump...owld tillers mean more ID checks..

Loraine
05-Jul-12, 10:06
No but a customer behind me is a person I know...so the person behind me was the same!
And from the conversation we had...the till operator should have known what age bracket to put me in....if not my face which doesnt say less than 25...no surgery or fillers...Im 10 years over whats looked for and I know it/look it!

Just because you've got kids doesn't mean you must be over 25! You could easily have a child going into P2 and be 25 or younger!! My eldest is going into P6 this year and I've been asked for ID recently at both Tesco and the Coop!! If you look even remotely around the 25 age range then you're likely to be asked for ID. For those of us who regularly carry our drivers licences in our purses (or other suitable form of ID) it's not an issue. A quick look at the year of birth and they realize they've underestimated our age and the sale goes ahead without any problems. And btw, I'm 32. Take it as a compliment and have a laugh about it at home later on!! :lol:

theone
05-Jul-12, 14:19
Because in the vast number of cases it is not underagers that are buying it. I've seen groups of them hanging around outside a shop and stopping other customers and asking them to buy it for them.

Okay.

So how, exactly, does asking over 25's for proof of age stop them then supplying to underagers?

What are they trying to achieve?

To protect themselves and their staff from prosecution, there are huge fines that can be imposed. But you're not seriously saying that Stores are really wanting to break the law and sell to underagers!

Can you give me an example of when these "huge fines" have been imposed. I see drunk kids in Caithness every weekend but don't ever remember a shop or its staff being prosecuted.

Doreen
05-Jul-12, 14:56
Well my grandaughter of 7 was asked if she had a dividend card beat that.

Kodiak
05-Jul-12, 15:27
Well my grandaughter of 7 was asked if she had a dividend card beat that.

Quite correct that is. The reason that is OK for a child to be asked for the Loyalty card is because could be doing shopping for their Parents and they have given them the card just for this.

There is no minimum age to use a Co-op card and it is perfectly ok for a Child to use one for on behalf of their parents.

bluemafia
05-Jul-12, 17:34
With respect to THEONE, two members of staff from the defunct shop in the middle of Wick, WERE prosecuted and fined for selling alcohol to an underage person in a police sting, and one of the staff was the manager!

Dadie
05-Jul-12, 20:48
Small point
I did not have to prove I am 25+....just 18 and I reckon even now there isnt that many 18yo girls with 6 yo children....and those that have will have been in the papers and their names and faces will be known at the time they gave birth.:roll:

oldmarine
06-Jul-12, 05:27
I am 87 years of age and it has been a long time since I was asked for my ID. There was a time many years ago (when I looked younger than my age) that I was asked for my ID to prove my age. Guess it goes with the territory.

poppett
06-Jul-12, 12:54
The opposite side of the coin, but the same reaction as Dadie.................OH and I were in B & Q just after he turned 60 one Wednesday morning. The cashier offered him a diamond discount card for 10% off every Wednesday (known as coffin dodgers day!)...........After he signed up she asked me "Would you like one too madam?"...........OH scuttled out sniggering as I am 15 years his junior..........I smiled sweetly, said thank you but we always shop together.

oldmarine
06-Jul-12, 20:55
The opposite side of the coin, but the same reaction as Dadie.................OH and I were in B & Q just after he turned 60 one Wednesday morning. The cashier offered him a diamond discount card for 10% off every Wednesday (known as coffin dodgers day!)...........After he signed up she asked me "Would you like one too madam?"...........OH scuttled out sniggering as I am 15 years his junior..........I smiled sweetly, said thank you but we always shop together.
Probably due to your being the OH the cashier was trying to be nice and fair about the whole thing.

secrets in symmetry
15-Jul-12, 01:18
It happens so often, even with the same till operator that I'm almost tempted to fill the trolley with frozen food, wait for it to defrost a bit, then go to the checkout. If they won't sell the beer, just say sorry then walk out without the rest.............I've walked out and left a pile of shopping at a supermarket till several times - it may not achieve much in the long term, but it might make them think twice before refusing to sell alcohol to someone who's obviously over 18....

Dadie and I should probably be thankful that we both look young and attractive. :cool: