PDA

View Full Version : Tesco's cafe?

nicnak
27-Nov-06, 17:09
is it just me or was there supposed to be a cafe at Tesco's?

angela5
27-Nov-06, 17:13

Just you. :eek:

krieve
27-Nov-06, 17:15
The cafe is near the fag counter.

elamanya
27-Nov-06, 17:31
thought there was going to be a drive thru car wash as well..... is there ?

DarkAngel
27-Nov-06, 17:34
There is a cafe, Its at the bottom end of the store, Had any one tasted their food?

Rheghead
27-Nov-06, 18:08
I've heard it said that if you're an impulsive shopper then it makes sense for the pocket and the waistline to eat at the cafe before you go shopping. It makes sense to me.:eek:

Billy Boy
27-Nov-06, 18:51
The cafe is near the fag counter.

do they employ someone to count fag's lol :eek: [lol]

pultneytooner
27-Nov-06, 18:59
The cafe is beside the kiosk just before the start of the tills.

dragonfly
27-Nov-06, 19:46
its on the right hand side just after you enter the store - behind the cigarette counter - we had a panini and a cup of tea, both were tasty enough! Saw a curry that someone else had and the portion was very small - infact she refused to pay full price for it and got it at a kids portion price

nicnak
27-Nov-06, 20:32
thank you everyone I must have missed it as i didnt go near the kiosk, thanks again take it you havent been then anglea 5, but i thought it is a lovely store all the same.

angela5
27-Nov-06, 20:40
thank you everyone I must have missed it as i didnt go near the kiosk, thanks again take it you havent been then anglea 5, but i thought it is a lovely store all the same.

Yes i have been up to tesco's and i agree it's a lovely store.:D

canuck
27-Nov-06, 22:30
There is a cafe, Its at the bottom end of the store, Had any one tasted their food?

I am not a Tesco expert, but from reading the threads over the last few months I have come to conclude that all the stores are pretty much the same as far as the products and the prices. So, to answer your question about the food, I have eaten in the Inverness Tesco store. Errogie took me out to afternoon tea there. Well, he ate, I think I just had tea, but it was quite good whatever it was.

DarkAngel
27-Nov-06, 22:35
I totally agree aswell it is a really nice store and the shelves were packed neat and tidy :D

Fluff
27-Nov-06, 23:09
well if the restraunt is anything like the Reading tesco, itis yuk! The cafe's used to be run by tesco, selling tesco food (sausages in the breakfast etc..) but it was sold out and now is awful!
When passing through Inverness in Oct, we stopped for food and my mum and dad had some food, the bf and i refused any. From their faces i dont think they will be eating there again lol

Whitewater
27-Nov-06, 23:17
I found that the door for the Tesco cafe was located just under the big sign that said CAFE. Nothing wrong with the food for what you pay, if you expect an AA rating or a Michelin star you won't get that standard for £1 or two.

Pleasant place to shop, the aisles are nice and wide, with a great selection on goods on the shelves.

grantyg
27-Nov-06, 23:19
I like the wood that the pics show it looks less clinical than other tesco`s.

Fran
28-Nov-06, 02:06
I thought the cafe was good and a pot of tea for only 59p, where else could you get that price. A good assortment of food, sandwiches, salad etc.

rs 2k
28-Nov-06, 19:19
1 thing i didn't like about the cafe is.......we went shopping there last night straight from work about 5 did shopping and decided we would try the cafe for our dinner but it was 6.05pm and they stop selling food at 6pm, so we got nothing, so go before 6pm if u fancy your dinner there

moonshadow
28-Nov-06, 19:41

http://img11.picsplace.to/img10/19/Tesco_GIF.gif

nicnak
28-Nov-06, 20:45
Many thanks for the diagram, I just went straight up the first aisle and didnt go nr flowers or ciggys so didnt even notice that there was a cafe, but will def try it next time i go in there

Spirit
28-Nov-06, 21:04
I thought the cafe was quiet reasonably priced. Seems to be cheaper than Somerfields and food was ok. Toastie/panini was a bit under cooked. Cheese didn't get much of a chance to melt but it was still very edible. I just love that there is so much choice under one roof, and trollies with the car at the front for the kids... Brilliant....

pultneytooner
28-Nov-06, 21:57
Tesco is a corporate monster and when you have done celebrating it's arival you will be praying for it's demise and the return to local shops and local values.

misty woman
28-Nov-06, 22:39
Tesco is a corporate monster and when you have done celebrating it's arival you will be praying for it's demise and the return to local shops and local values.Well said pultneytooner,i compleatly agree with what you have said.

pultneytooner
28-Nov-06, 23:02
Tesco has over 30% of the UK grocery retail market, they are totaly out
of control.
Some farmers are on the verge of bankruptcy as tesco dictates the price
they pay, not the supplier.
During the height of the apple harvest in britain, more than half of
Tesco's apples are imported because britain has a stricter policy on
the use of pesticides.
Tesco, every little helps.:roll:

luskentyre
29-Nov-06, 01:07
Tesco is a corporate monster and when you have done celebrating it's arival you will be praying for it's demise and the return to local shops and local values.

What do you mean by "local values"? Do you mean empty shelves and dour shop assistants? Queueing and locked doors at lunchtimes? Half-day closing perhaps?

Why do you think the likes of Tesco are so popular? They provide customers with what they want. I know it's a radical concept but it might just catch on...

jinglejangle
29-Nov-06, 01:32
What do you mean by "local values"? Do you mean empty shelves and dour shop assistants? Queueing and locked doors at lunchtimes? Half-day closing perhaps?

Why do you think the likes of Tesco are so popular? They provide customers with what they want. I know it's a radical concept but it might just catch on...

Totally agree luskentyre! I have lost count of the number of times I have gone shopping during the day only to find closed doors [there is nothing more annoying than shops advertising they are open but when you get there they are shut even though they advertise they are open in local paper and in their windows! So glad tesco is here! Also, I presume everyone who has slagged off the arrival of tesco will not be going near it?

tip top
29-Nov-06, 11:08
The cafe is beside the kiosk just before the start of the tills.

They say it's good to confront your demons!

Wind 'em up and let them go!! [lol]

saxovtr
29-Nov-06, 11:22
i had to wait 20minutes for my cd i bought,sum1 cudnt get the security tag off,took about 4 blondes and a dark haired 1,very good was getting a little impatient!

Dali
29-Nov-06, 11:35

What local value there certainly has never been any value in any of them . I am sure we will all be praying for the return of inflated prices ,poor opening times, and a pathetic range .
Can you tell me what local shops Tesco will be affecting other than Somerfield and maybe COOP ?
Please dont say the clothes shops as neu look would kill those if anything . Tesco has some lovely clothes but people will still shop in the other clothes shops to get some range and hope that they are not all out in the same top .

The amount of Tesco haters that use caithness.org should be able to keep all the local small shops open no problem. You just keep shopping at them and they will be fine .
And for someone with so many Local values you sure know were the Tesco cafe is

henry20
29-Nov-06, 11:43
I have to agree with you Dali, the only shops that will be affected by me shopping at Tesco's will be Somerfield & Co-op and correct me if I'm wrong, but they aren't 'local'! Most of my clothes come from New Look/Next/Tesco, so at least my money will be going into a Caithness till, paying a Caithness persons wage instead of costing me petrol money to go to Inverness to buy clothes.

angela5
29-Nov-06, 11:50
I also agree with Dali, if all the folk that object to Tesco's continue shopping in the local shops then they'll remain open.

willowbankbear
29-Nov-06, 12:09
i will be shopping at Tesco`s , I bought a case of Bud for less than £10 forgot I hadnt any money:o cue the beamer!! Luckilly there is a cash machine outside , so the beamer soon disappared. Staff were helpful & saw the funnyside of it.
I saw a few familiar faces & Foxy mustve been wondering who knew her in there;)
Sorry Somerfields , Coop , I wont be shopping there again, yer just too dear, but I will still go to Lidls, cafe or not.

pultneytooner
29-Nov-06, 12:10
What local value there certainly has never been any value in any of them . I am sure we will all be praying for the return of inflated prices ,poor opening times, and a pathetic range .
Can you tell me what local shops Tesco will be affecting other than Somerfield and maybe COOP ?
Please dont say the clothes shops as neu look would kill those if anything . Tesco has some lovely clothes but people will still shop in the other clothes shops to get some range and hope that they are not all out in the same top .

The amount of Tesco haters that use caithness.org should be able to keep all the local small shops open no problem. You just keep shopping at them and they will be fine .
And for someone with so many Local values you sure know were the Tesco cafe is
Local butchers, bakers, beggs, macallans, D.E, cafe's and a host of small grocer shops.;)

angela5
29-Nov-06, 12:23
Local butchers, bakers, beggs, macallans, D.E, cafe's and a host of small grocer shops.;)

Who's gonna shop in Begg's have you seen the price difference between that shop and Some items in Homebase.:eek: A oil filled heater from Beggs is near £50 up in Homebase they are £20.

As i said, these shops you mention should remain open if the ones that hate tesco so much continue shopping there.

willowbankbear
29-Nov-06, 12:26
Who's gonna shop in Begg's have you seen the price difference between that shop and Some items in Homebase.:eek: A oil filled heater from Beggs is near £50 up in Homebase they are £20.

As i said, these shops you mention should remain open if the ones that hate tesco so much continue shopping there.

Thats extortion , why be ripped off when ye can save 30 quid?
Come in number 1, yer time is up:eek:

angela5
29-Nov-06, 12:27
I saw a few familiar faces

Spot the orgers working in Tesco's.;)

DarkAngel
29-Nov-06, 12:33
Does anyone know what the coop and Somerfield been like the past few days? I imagin it will be pretty empty, THink someone said there were more staff than customers? Shame really! I think the coop will still get a few local people nipping out for Just a Pint of milk or the local buses that go there too crom Lybster with all the old folkies on it..Thats prob yer lot as i will be shopping in Tesco too, As the Range of food and the selection is just great. Plus their fruit n Veg seem to last alot long with longer dates on too!:D

melted_wellie
29-Nov-06, 12:35
Bakers???? i stopped off at the local baker, the one at top of harbour, it was lunch time and i was hungry for a pie, would you believe they were closed for lunch. Whats that all about??? ive never heard the like.

Dali
29-Nov-06, 12:38

Well the butchers seem to have lived through Somerfield COOP and Lidl. People who use the butchers for there meat i am sure will continue.
The same with the bakers if you dont already buy from supermarkets for meat and bakery goods then you will continue to use them both if you are happy with them.
Cafe's What a joke it is only a small one in Tesco cant see that shutting down the others .Not many people going to travel all the way to Tesco for a coffee.

And beggs do you mean the electrical or toy shop ,Well the electrical deserves to be shut down there prices are through the roof . But Tesco do not have a huge electrical department or toy department also Beggs toyshop does a christmas club and Tesco do not so many many people rely on this for xmas .Plus there are many places on the internet that do electrical and toys for much cheaper than Tesco.
Macallans and D.E well there are 7 or more places already to buy clothes from and they have all managed so far . A new clothes shop opened a few weeks ago in the old music shop is so there must be some demand not like they did not know Tesco was coming .

pultneytooner
29-Nov-06, 12:40
Bakers???? i stopped off at the local baker, the one at top of harbour, it was lunch time and i was hungry for a pie, would you believe they were closed for lunch. Whats that all about??? ive never heard the like.
Maybe they needed to have some lunch or are they not allowed to eat?:eek:

DarkAngel
29-Nov-06, 12:41
That shop beside MacAllans is rubbish..It hasnt got anything decent in it and all the clothes look second hand! They were selling a DP denim Jacket for £40 Very old fashioned and very over priced. Dont think its doing very well!!:roll:

pultneytooner
29-Nov-06, 12:43
Well the butchers seem to have lived through Somerfield COOP and Lidl. People who use the butchers for there meat i am sure will continue.
The same with the bakers if you dont already buy from supermarkets for meat and bakery goods then you will continue to use them both if you are happy with them.
Cafe's What a joke it is only a small one in Tesco cant see that shutting down the others .Not many people going to travel all the way to Tesco for a coffee.

And beggs do you mean the electrical or toy shop ,Well the electrical deserves to be shut down there prices are through the roof . But Tesco do not have a huge electrical department or toy department also Beggs toyshop does a christmas club and Tesco do not so many many people rely on this for xmas .Plus there are many places on the internet that do electrical and toys for much cheaper than Tesco.
Macallans and D.E well there are 7 or more places already to buy clothes from and they have all managed so far . A new clothes shop opened a few weeks ago in the old music shop is so there must be some demand not like they did not know Tesco was coming .
You are quite right, nobody is gonna travel to tesco for their coffee but while they are shopping there they are not going to travel to a cafe in the centre of town either.

Kaishowing
29-Nov-06, 12:47
It's all down to supply and demand....If a couple of shops sell the same item, then it's up to them to offer competative prices. In the smaller shops, I'm sure people will be willing to pay a couple of extra pounds to get a more personal service if that's what they want, but even so the prices must be realistic.
It's not only the petrol stations that have had a monopoly for so long.
Retail competition will only benefit the consumer in the long run.
So fair warning to all shops...offer better prices/service/deals in general and you'll have the custom.
In this day and age where a pound buys far less than it has in the past, the wallet/purse decides who wins.
Sorry if that sounds cold-hearted...but obviously that's the bottom line in business.
It would be a shame for the smaller shops to be priced out of the market, but that's why they're going to have to be inventive to keep custom.
The consumer will be the judge.

Highland Laddie
29-Nov-06, 12:53

Probably went to the Tesco Cafe

angela5
29-Nov-06, 13:04

Of course they are entitled to their lunch break but closing over lunchtime is a poor service.
Extra staff would help.

pultneytooner
29-Nov-06, 13:19
It's all down to supply and demand....If a couple of shops sell the same item, then it's up to them to offer competative prices. In the smaller shops, I'm sure people will be willing to pay a couple of extra pounds to get a more personal service if that's what they want, but even so the prices must be realistic.
It's not only the petrol stations that have had a monopoly for so long.
Retail competition will only benefit the consumer in the long run.
So fair warning to all shops...offer better prices/service/deals in general and you'll have the custom.
In this day and age where a pound buys far less than it has in the past, the wallet/purse decides who wins.
Sorry if that sounds cold-hearted...but obviously that's the bottom line in business.
It would be a shame for the smaller shops to be priced out of the market, but that's why they're going to have to be inventive to keep custom.
The consumer will be the judge.
As tesco inverness has about 50% of the grocery market in that city then it doesn't seem like there is much choice, monopolies of any market is never a good thing for the consumer, so what happens in wick, wheres the variety.

pultneytooner
29-Nov-06, 13:22
Of course they are entitled to their lunch break but closing over lunchtime is a poor service.
Extra staff would help.
These are small family businesses, they don't have the money to hire a lot of staff.
Once these shops are gone they are gone.

JAWS
29-Nov-06, 13:24
Does that mean Inverness is going to disappear?

henry20
29-Nov-06, 13:25
These are small family businesses, they don't have the money to hire a lot of staff.

What about the local shops that employ more than 1 person full-time? Whats wrong with staggered lunch breaks?

pultneytooner
29-Nov-06, 13:27
I wouldn't think so jaws but you know that anyway.;)

melted_wellie
29-Nov-06, 13:28
Once these shops are gone they are gone.the sooner the better i say. i mean, what is the point selling hot food,then close at lunchtime. it just doesnt make sense to me. Family business or not, it isnt good business.

pultneytooner
29-Nov-06, 13:31
the sooner the better i say. i mean, what is the point selling hot food,then close at lunchtime. it just doesnt make sense to me. Family business or not, it isnt good business.
Better a poor choice than no choice at all.

angela5
29-Nov-06, 13:32

I'm not saying hire a lot of staff but with the staff they have i'm sure they can arrange their hours so that they can remain open over lunch.

melted_wellie
29-Nov-06, 13:34
Better a poor choice than no choice at all.
unfortunately for me it was no choice at all. as they were closed at 1.

Kaishowing
29-Nov-06, 13:35
At 50%, that is a huge slice of the pie...but that still leaves another 50% to choose from.
It does seem unfair that a single enterprise should have such a chunk of the market, but the same rule applies. People show their support with their cash.
People aren't marched into the shop by Tesco's employees at gunpoint.
If Tesco having such a sway over the local economy is such a concern for people, then there's still other shops to buy from.
Pesonally I think Tesco coming to Wick is a good thing, not just because of the shop itself, but the cash that it'll be adding to the community and the message to other businesses thinking about coming this far north.
All I'm in favour of is the consumer to have a choice...the more choices we all have, the more competition between the shops, the lower the prices.
Like I said before, I don't want to see the death of the local small shops, but some will have to 'up their game' to compete with another supermarket in the town.

angela5
29-Nov-06, 13:36
unfortunately for me it was no choice at all. as they were closed at 1.

Also half days should stop. Wick has a half day on a wednesday and Thurso takes a half day on a Thursday, what choice did we have then.:confused

melted_wellie
29-Nov-06, 13:37
Also half days should stop. Wick has a half day on a wednesday and Thurso takes a half day on a Thursday, what choice did we have then.:confused
buy your pies on tuesday....hahaha

angela5
29-Nov-06, 13:39
buy your pies on tuesday....hahaha

Yeh buy in advance you never know when you'll catch them open again:D

pultneytooner
29-Nov-06, 13:41
Very valid point angela and an opinion that small businesses should be taking note of.

angela5
29-Nov-06, 13:49
Very valid point angela and an opinion that small businesses should be taking note of.

Well if they want our custom then they should buck their ideas up and take their prices down.

willowbankbear
29-Nov-06, 13:53

Hopefully;) It will move up to the retail park on the edge of the """city""""[lol]

squidge
29-Nov-06, 14:25
In inverness Tesco have over 50% of the market. When you talk to people they all shop at Tesco but the point is they dont all shop there exclusively. As an example - At the beginning of the month when I have plenty money i will do a big shop at tesco, during the month i might top up at morrisons - especially if i am buying salmon - their salmon is much better than tesco; i will go to Lidl also and the local co op at Culloden. If i want a pint of milk or a loaf i dont "pop" into Tesco cos its too big - often i just cant face it.

If i am looking for a packet of mince for mince and tatties during the week for dinner i will buy it at tesco, if i want a big pile of nice steak for a steak pie cos im having someone over for tea i will buy it at the butchers. A joint, a turkey for Christmas all get bought at the butchers. If i want Haggis for dinner like last week to introduce to our friend Bassel he is lebanese and hadnt tasted it before - its a trip to the butchers. Clothes get bought wherever we see stuff we like. and the same with shoes. If there is a farmers market on in the town then i always go to that and buy bits and bobs.

Tesco get that amount of trade because they meet the needs of the consumer - opening times, choice etc etc but they dont get someones exclusive custom. thats what will happen in caithness too. It will change shopping habits without a doubt but it isnt necessarily going to swallow up the whole of the available money in caithness.