PDA

View Full Version : photography

brandy
20-Jan-05, 19:20
hiya just wondering if there is anybody in wick interested in photography? i have started getting into it and was wondering if anyone else did amature phtography?i cant find any classes in wick and as we do not drive and have the kiddies cant make thurso for the classes.... theres loads to learn, as im just strating out but would be great if there were a club! any one have any ideas? or would be interested?

Brizer2k2
20-Jan-05, 20:35
I'd ask John Baikie if he knows of any classes you can attend. He has won awards for Highland Photgrapher of the year. Has gone full time now.

see - www.caithnessphotographic.com

Julia
20-Jan-05, 21:12
I'm too am very interested in photography, especially art photography, I'd recommend joining www.deviantart.com where you can submit photos for public display (they will be copyrighted), and other members offer critique and tips.

Mr P Cannop
20-Jan-05, 22:36
would any like me to help out with this ??

brandy
22-Jan-05, 22:33
hiya guys there is a photography club in thurso that meets the first and third monday of the month have looked into this.. and thery do both film and digital.. its called the camera club..

Fifi
23-Jan-05, 11:42
The Thurso Camera Club is listed in the Caithness.org community/groups & hobbies page with contact details as follows:

Chairperson Neil Buchan 01847 821759
Secretary Ian MacGillivray 01847 895649

Don't know how up to date this is.

fiftyseven
20-Feb-05, 01:00
hello!

I've been into photography for just over a year now, and the one thing that has helped me greatly is joining www.deviantart.com. Not only have my photos been commented on, but i've also learnt a lot from viewing other's photos and asking them how they've achieved such results. My gallery is at www.fifty7.deviantart.com/gallery , and has just a minor selection of my "work".

I wouldnt describe myself as a local photographer though, as very few of the photos I do take are actually scenic, but there's some on that site regardless of local areas.

doreenhedgehog
20-Feb-05, 01:09
you have a few nice shots on there - particularly the boats on Loch Watten(?)

fiftyseven
20-Feb-05, 01:15
Yeah, from last summer. I wish I took more and went for different compositions now though, lol.

Thanks for the comments! :o)

~~Tides~~
20-Feb-05, 13:37
What kind of equipment are you using?

I am quite interested in photography myslef (a few photos on caithness.org somewhere) but feel i am limited by my 1.3 mp camera.

Wat kind of prices are we talking about for fairly decent equipment?

Colin Manson
20-Feb-05, 14:59
You aren't limited by the resolution of your camera, all of the pictures contain <1.3 MP by the time you see them here. Printing is another issue; if you want to create photo quality prints then it's better to get a higher resolution.

The most limiting things are
Optical zoom - Maybe only about x3

Flash - Normally not great

Manual Settings - Some cameras don't allow you to change the settings to do any 'artistic' shots

It isn't possible to cover all the choices without knowing what your exactly needs are. :confused

Julia
20-Feb-05, 16:24
My gallery is at www.fifty7.deviantart.com/gallery , and has just a minor selection of my "work".

I wouldnt describe myself as a local photographer though, as very few of the photos I do take are actually scenic, but there's some on that site regardless of local areas.

Nice photos Fifty7, my gallery is at http://fluffiestuff.deviantart.com/gallery/

Naefearjustbeer
20-Feb-05, 16:40
try www.photosig.com

submit your pictures and view others, give and recieve critiques,

fiftyseven
20-Feb-05, 17:49
What kind of equipment are you using?

I am quite interested in photography myslef (a few photos on caithness.org somewhere) but feel i am limited by my 1.3 mp camera.

Wat kind of prices are we talking about for fairly decent equipment?

Im not sure if that was for me or not, but im using an Olympus C5060 Wide Zoom. 5.1 megapixels, 4x optical zoom. It was £500 when I got it last May (half bday present) but now I think it's going for around £380.

Generally, any camera above £150 is "good", but bear in mind that it's not the megapixel count you should be looking at.

Capt_D_Bradstreet
20-Feb-05, 18:04
I have a Toshiba PDR-M14 2.1mp digital camera, it was a good camera until just recently. Every time i 'half press' the shutter button to allow the camera to adjust the light, it goes out of focus.

I am not sure what has happened to it, I am guessing that it has took a knock. Does anyone know where i could get it fixed locally?

brandy
21-Feb-05, 09:51
my camera is a fuji s5500 4.0 megapixel.. with a 10x optical zoon.. *grins* but i have added extra lenses to it.. still trying how to work out exposure though!