PDA

View Full Version : Looking for any 1st hand experience of ruptered ligiment.

arana negra
04-Jul-12, 15:20
Well my wee Scally is still attracting problems like flies it seems. Latest escapade, stayed with friends while I returned to Scotland, on my return she had a twisted front knee, the one she has worst arthritis in. Very swollen and she was limping. I took her to her vet who x rayed and said arthritis for sure left knee, signs in right back leg and hips not moving the best. All of which we have been watching anyway. She got a months pain killer and 3 months glucosimine tablets. Returned for check up after a month and now the swelling is down he discovered ruptured ligiment in knee, completely torn. Operation to fix but will mean rigid knee ( I think that was what he said, my spanish understanding not too good ) I did read up a bit on the net and as he seemed to think no real hurry I read a bit more and discovered a case where if left approx 8 weeks with movement for necessary toileting only, the ligiment can repair and no need for op. As the vet knew I was booked for 2 months away I am wondering if that was in his mind.

Have any of you got 1st hand experience of ligiment rupture and any ideas for her recovery ? thank you.

PS can any admin sort my bad spelling of ruptured in title please ? ta :-(

Dadie
04-Jul-12, 19:00
Benson tore his knee ligaments ....there was 2 options for ops detatch the ligaments and configure the reattatchment differently or saw through the leg bone and put it back on back to front.
Im sorry I dont have any ideas on recovery though....

arana negra
06-Jul-12, 21:12
Which option did you choose ?

Dadie
06-Jul-12, 21:30
We chose the to detach and rettach the ligaments....but Benson didnt survive the op.So I cant tell you how good it could be....but its a big op...whichever one you go for.

arana negra
06-Jul-12, 22:14
Oh so sorry to hear that :-( Thank you for replying. I have been trying to get info on line about the procedure but so far nothing that is clear.

gillygirl
07-Jul-12, 14:12
We had a dog with torn cruciate ligament in the back leg. Local vet had just completed a course so could carry out this op. otherwise it would have to be done in Edinburgh. Price quoted was about £900. Unfortunately on investigation he was found to have advanced cancer as well so op didn't take place, and we had to let him go, but have heard that it can be very successful with full mobility again. Maybe get advice from the veterinary hospital in Edinburgh? or talk to Thurso vet, Guy Gordon. Hope you get a good result.

arana negra
07-Jul-12, 17:25
Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear about your dog. I posted my question on this forum although I live in Spain. In the past I have had much useful information/help here, sorry for any misunderstanding about my location. I may talk to the veterinary hospital though for an idea of procedures, recovery/likely success rates, thank you.