PDA

View Full Version : Hunt for the higgs

weezer 316
04-Jul-12, 12:46
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jul/04/higgs-boson-cern-scientists-discover?intcmp=122

Top stuff!

Bill Fernie
04-Jul-12, 14:28
Here is a link to Wikipedia info on the topic -and it has been updated today....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

ducati
04-Jul-12, 22:34
I'm gleefully watching news reporters asking scientists what does it mean? The answer is apparently, nothing if you aren't a very clever physicist [lol]

smithp
04-Jul-12, 22:59
It means a few drunk scientists might get lucky tonight.

theone
04-Jul-12, 23:15
It's definitely a landmark day, an amazing discovery and something to behold,

But.....................

I heard someone say today "it proves what the majority of the scientific community has believed for years".

A wee bit underwhelming maybe? Not quite the Eureka! moment when gravity was discovered, more of an "at last"?

But then again, I'm no physicist.

Rheghead
04-Jul-12, 23:39
Mrs Thatcher was proved to be real by the fact that her expected movements were finally pinned down on the ballroom floor by a few drawing pins and her ministers looked on from their expected positions, all within limits of acceptance of course.

RecQuery
05-Jul-12, 07:48
Good explanation of if here here (http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/naxmk/the_everything_you_need_to_know_about_the_higgs/) with an FAQ. Because the general media isn't going to help you make sense of it all.

weezer 316
05-Jul-12, 08:56
It is what they have believed for years, but its still got to be proven, it aint religion where belief is counted as fact, even if the model that belief is built upon seems to brilliantly explain the world.

There are several reason its a breakthrough. Firstly, it validates the standard model, which explain sub-atomic particles and the forces that govern their interaction with each other. It was predicted by it and it appears that the model is correct.

ON a more practical note, if we are ever to leave this planet, defy gravity, move things at the speed of light, before anything else I would say a fundamental understanding of how things have mass and how the higgs field does this would be number 1 on the list of things to know.

Who knows what else it could lead to though. Don't think physicists could give you much idea either!

RecQuery
05-Jul-12, 10:08
The Higgs-Boson walks into a Church. The priest says "we don't allow you sciency things in here". The Higgs-Boson says "But without me how can you have mass?".

Saveman
05-Jul-12, 11:33
I guess because they had never detected it before, but formed a theory that seemed to fit the evidence, they must've had a measure of faith to keep looking all this time ;)

weezer 316
05-Jul-12, 12:53
You missed a word out: I guess because they had never detected it before, but formed a theory that seemed to fit the TESTABLE evidence, they must've had a measure of faith to keep looking all this time ;)

I would also say faith had nothing to do with it, physicists wanted to show it didn't exist, because that's how science works. You must work to disprove as well as prove. The end result is an advancing of our knowledge, regardless of the result.

Saveman
05-Jul-12, 13:22
Would they have clapped and celebrated if they proved it didn't exist?

weezer 316
05-Jul-12, 13:31
Almost certainly not to the same extent. The reason for the celebration was more the fact it had been some poeples lifes work to show whether it was there or not. The result being reached was the main reason for the celebration though, not the result itself.

I will say this as I know what your motive for the post was, teh standard model, alongside reltivity is nothing more than a good approximation to the laws of the universe, and science knows it. It falls apart inside a black hole, the big bang, and still leaves 96% of the universe unaccounted for. I would suggest you bear that in mind

RecQuery
05-Jul-12, 14:57
Would they have clapped and celebrated if they proved it didn't exist?

I'd say some would be disappointed for a while that their pet hypothesis wasn't correct, but many would be happy because they at least helped disprove one more avenue of investigation. A failure can teach you just as much as a success.

People need to remember that gravity is a theory, electro-magnetism is a theory, etc. Theory doesn't mean just making something up.

Saveman
05-Jul-12, 15:40
Almost certainly not to the same extent. The reason for the celebration was more the fact it had been some poeples lifes work to show whether it was there or not. The result being reached was the main reason for the celebration though, not the result itself.

I will say this as I know what your motive for the post was, teh standard model, alongside reltivity is nothing more than a good approximation to the laws of the universe, and science knows it. It falls apart inside a black hole, the big bang, and still leaves 96% of the universe unaccounted for. I would suggest you bear that in mind

Thanks for your suggestion. You know what my motive is? :)

Saveman
05-Jul-12, 15:43
I'd say some would be disappointed for a while that their pet hypothesis wasn't correct, but many would be happy because they at least helped disprove one more avenue of investigation. A failure can teach you just as much as a success.

People need to remember that gravity is a theory, electro-magnetism is a theory, etc. Theory doesn't mean just making something up.

evolution is a theory.......etc. etc.

Although gravity actually does exist. How it works...many theories about that. I prefer the mass of an object warping space-time theory, seems to make some sense.

weezer 316
05-Jul-12, 17:56
Many theories about gravity eh? I can think of but one as described in your last sentence....can you enlighten me on other theories of gravity? If you say newtonian I will cry.

Saveman
06-Jul-12, 00:42
Many theories about gravity eh? I can think of but one as described in your last sentence....can you enlighten me on other theories of gravity? If you say newtonian I will cry.

TeVeS
Entropic Gravity

Don't diss the newton! Still useful in some scenarios

RecQuery
06-Jul-12, 08:28
There are some high level discussions regarding the nature of gravity, external force acting on the universe, particle or wave etc. The Classical Physics explanation still applies though as does Newtonian motion. No intelligent falling here.