PDA

View Full Version : Nazi salutes in Cairndhuna alleged

Nwicker60
03-Jul-12, 16:11
Sheriff hears two versions of garden fence incident-finds charge not proven

A WOMAN, who used to live in Germany, claimed she was subjected to a racially-aggravated attack, during which a neighbour taunted her with Nazi-style salutes.
Justine Warnock told a court that the incident occurred when she was chatting over the back garden fence with neighbours outside her home at 22 Cairndhuna Terrace, Wick, on February 17.
They were talking about the visit they had just received from the dog warden and an SSPCA inspector, to check on their pets.
Ms Warnock said that another neighbour, the accused, Angela Polson, suddenly appeared round the corner, “shouting and swearing”.
Ms Warnock told Wick Sheriff Court yesterday (Tuesday) “The next I knew, I was being called every Nazi under the sun by her. Polson was jumping up and down and screaming. She was totally out of control. Then she accused me of being a f-----g Nazi and made a Nazi gesture.”Ms Warnock (42) told the court that she had lived in Germany for 18 years and had German citizenship but was English by birth having been born in Manchester. She had told Polson so, but the accused then replied describing her as “a f-----g English bitch”
Ms Warnock said: “I just stood there in amazement. She was ranting and raving. I was absolutely disgusted at what was coming out of her mouth. I went inside and phoned the police.” She added that she knew for a fact that Polson had “grassed us to the SSPCA”.Polson (38) of 26 Cairndhuna Terrace, denied acting in a racially-aggravated manner towards Ms Warnock
Ms Warnock demonstrated to the court, the Nazi salute in which the accused had put one hand to her mouth and the other outstretched.
Another neighbour, chef Veronica Gray (37) of 28 Cairndhuna Terrace, said he heard Polson shout to Ms Warnock that she was “a Nazi b-----d". Mrs Gray said: “Polson told her to get back to her own country and started doing Hitler signs. She did the gestures two or three times. Justine was pretty upset. When she said she was born in England, Polson told her to go back there where she belonged.”
In evidence, Polson denied the abuse and the ‘grass’accusation and alleged that Ms Warnock had made an unfounded unsavoury remark to her son, Richard, when they went to take his bike in.
Polson said: “I told Ms Warnock to f—k off and then she described me as “a fat bitch who was not right in the head”.
The accused denied making any reference to Nazis or making Hitler gestures. She rejected a suggestion by David Barclay, prosecuting, that she had “completely lost control in the heat of the moment”. Polson’s son, Richard, supported her evidence.
Sheriff Andrew Berry said that he had heard two competing versions of the incident and was “not quite sure where the truth lies". He accordingly found the charge not proven.