PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Recycling centre

POUNDIT
27-Nov-06, 00:41
Can anyone tell me the address for Thurso recycling centre?Didn't know it existed till now can anyone take their cardboard, plastic and household stuff here because am sick of my dust bin being full of stuff i know i could recycle?

Can businesses use this facility too because i am sure they have plenty of waste that could be recycled thus keeping down there commercial bin waste and bills if they could reduce their waste to one bin instead of two for example.:cool:

Bobinovich
27-Nov-06, 00:49
The recycling centre is on the back road towards Reay. Leave Thurso out by the college and go past the left turn off to Halkirk. The next turning on the right takes you to the 'big white building' and then the turning on the right after that is the recycling centre.

Yes they take, amongst other things, cardboard, wood, glass, paper, textiles, white goods, even stuff which is still working (which is recycled through HomeAid). They'll even take non-recyclable stuff (plastics, polystyrene foam, etc.) but I don't know what limitations there are on that.

It can be quite busy at times but it has reduced our bin contents by at least a half - meaning it's not a disaster if we miss the bin lorry on a Tuesday one week.

I have also seen a few businesses up there unloading vans of stuff.

sweetpea
27-Nov-06, 01:05
Does paper and card have to be separated for them?

dozy
27-Nov-06, 11:46
Business must be able to use it was we had to queue up behind 4 vans with trailers holds of stuff .I was up there the other day as i thought it would be open at 10.00 .But the Winter opening timetable says it now open from 1100-1600..

Baconbuttie
27-Nov-06, 21:57
Seperate Skips for Newspapers and Cardboard. all boxes should be flattened first. Closed from 2.00 to 2.30 forlunch.

ABC
27-Nov-06, 22:05
Any business rubbish etc has to be taken to seater and they also have to pay for dumping it.

Don't assume the business vans are dumping their rubbish etc, as often they lend their vans and trailers for family and friends to dump their rubbish etc in one load.

r.rackstraw
27-Nov-06, 23:05
Thurso Recycling Centre is brilliant! Tidy and well laid out and the guys who run it are helpful. I take my hat off to them.

Pity it isn't open longer hours though.

Bobinovich
27-Nov-06, 23:28
Seperate Skips for Newspapers and Cardboard. all boxes should be flattened first. Closed from 2.00 to 2.30 forlunch.

Oops, I've never flattened boxes except to get them in my car - if they fit without flattening then I just chuck them in!!! The compactor makes mincemeat ouf them anyway so why flatten them?