PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Tax

piratelassie
02-Jul-12, 00:42
Scotland has less than 9% of the UK population, yet contributed to 9.6% of UK tax revenue. We received back 9.4% of that tax from the UK government in 2010. Scotland is therefore a net contributer to the UK. In no way is Scotland subsidised by England. These figures come from the UK government, not the SNP government.

Rheghead
02-Jul-12, 00:50
your post is certainly intended to make us believe that.

oldmarine
02-Jul-12, 00:51
Scotland has less than 9% of the UK population, yet contributed to 9.6% of UK tax revenue. We received back 9.4% of that tax from the UK government in 2010. Scotland is therefore a net contributer to the UK. In no way is Scotland subsidised by England. These figures come from the UK government, not the SNP government.

Looks like a good thing for England.

theone
02-Jul-12, 01:09
What "tax" are we speaking about? PAYE? Corporation? Road?

And what do we count as "received"? What does money spent abroad count as?

Show us a link to these figures to give us a better idea.

piratelassie
02-Jul-12, 01:17
What "tax" are we speaking about? PAYE? Corporation? Road?

And what do we count as "received"? What does money spent abroad count as?

Show us a link to these figures to give us a better idea. Where do you suppose any government gets its tax figures from?

theone
02-Jul-12, 01:20
Where do you suppose any government gets its tax figures from?

You tell me, it's your post!

Where did you get these figures from?

Beat Bug
02-Jul-12, 10:26
9.4% of 9.6 is just over 9%, so we get back more than we contribute!

ducati
04-Jul-12, 09:23
I was watching the Commitee on Scottish Independence on the Parliament Channel yeterday. It seems they are doing a lot of the research the SNP should be doing and haven't, or they have and don't want to tell the Scottish people the results.

One good example is that the new country would not be entitled to automatic entry to the European Union. Something the SNP still contends is the case.

Kodiak
04-Jul-12, 11:19
One good example is that the new country would not be entitled to automatic entry to the European Union. Something the SNP still contends is the case.

Well for me that would be a Good thing as in my opinion we should be out of the European Union.

Zero
06-Jul-12, 15:56
There can be no doubt were getting a bum deal, i just cant see how this descion can be such a big deal in peoples heads. Who are the best informed people to make decsions about scotland, scottish people in a scottish government or a westinster goverment. That includes all the powers not some watered down parliment where we have to tug on daddy shirt to make the real big choices! I dont want anymore nuclear weapons or phony wars in our name! we have no real enemies and useing jobs as a justification for contination of spending on the industrial military complex is absurd in this day and age. How long do we have to throw half our catch in the sea or drive on roads that belong in the dark ages before people realise that weve been getting a bum deal and its never been any different. Nows our chance to make it right, and if you dont vote or your just to lazy to care about your own well being (which seems to be the overall case) then you have no place to complain about the terrible roads, state of the economy, price of drink/petrol/food/TV or any other problem that could have been sorted out when you had the chance to care!

Gronnuck
06-Jul-12, 23:54
There can be no doubt were getting a bum deal, i just cant see how this descion can be such a big deal in peoples heads. Who are the best informed people to make decsions about scotland, scottish people in a scottish government or a westinster goverment. That includes all the powers not some watered down parliment where we have to tug on daddy shirt to make the real big choices!
It's a big deal because there's a lot to think about. Yes we need decisions on Scottish issues to be made closer to home but not if it means those decisions are being made by some of the idiots we currently see in Holyrood. Why would we want to swap one group of self-serving chancers for another group of self-serving chancers?
Remember it's Scottish politicians that managed the Holyrood debacle that cost over ten times its original cost. It's Scottish politicians that are currently trying to manage the Edinburgh Tram fiasco that's gone well over budget. Is there anyone in Holyrood we can trust to get it right with any future capital projects?
What exactly will be our relationship with Europe? What shape will a Scottish Banking industry take? Will we continue to use Sterling or will there be a transition to a Scottish currency? How long would the transition period be? What exactly will be our relationship with NATO? What form will a Defence force take? How will this Defence force take shape? There are endless questions yet to be answered.

I dont want anymore nuclear weapons or phony wars in our name! we have no real enemies and useing jobs as a justification for contination of spending on the industrial military complex is absurd in this day and age.
I agree, but what about the local jobs that support the naval base in trades and supplies? Will the new Scottish government put plans in place to create jobs in the area?
Defence contracts are the only shipbuilding contracts that currently do not have to go to tender across the wider Europe. We could scrap the building of parts of the new carriers but could our ship builders compete in the wider market? They haven't been very successful so far so how does any new Scottish government propose to energise the industry and ensure they are globally competitive?

How long do we have to throw half our catch in the sea
Well this is because we are bound by EU directives. So what does any new Scottish government propose? How do they envisage our relationships with other fishing nations, particularly Iceland, Norway, and The Faroes. Does any new Scottish government propose to challenge any aspects of International Maritime Law? I have yet to hear any proposals for any sort of debate.

or drive on roads that belong in the dark ages
Responsibility for roads is currently divided between Central government and the Local council. So how will our roads be managed in future? Will we have a ministry in Holyrood or will all responsibility be devolved to the councils? How will the revenue stream be assured and how will the budget be managed?

Nows our chance to make it right, and if you dont vote or your just to lazy to care about your own well being (which seems to be the overall case) then you have no place to complain about the terrible roads, state of the economy, price of drink/petrol/food/TV or any other problem that could have been sorted out when you had the chance to care!
I imagine there are a lot of people like me watching the politicians ducking and diving trying to make their points. They still have two years to convince us one way or the other. I shall not be persuaded until I've had my many questions answered and I've heard all the arguements.

catran
07-Jul-12, 21:55
och well what can one say if one cannot back up the figures