PDA

View Full Version : feral cats

annemarie482
01-Jul-12, 09:59
is anyone else having problems with feral cats?
and if so is there anyone you can call about it?
do cats protection cover this or are they for domesticated cats only?

starfish
01-Jul-12, 10:35
do not know about the sspca but the rspca in england set traps and get them nutured and re locate them , its may be worth phoning then

annemarie482
01-Jul-12, 10:45
they're driving me mad!
destroyed my puffin croft delivery in the half hour it took me to get home to take it in, just now one nearly gave me heart failure when i opened the bin to see one staring at me from the middle of a shredded bin bag, they're messing in my tattie patch and prowling the garden :( the neighbours were feeding them but have now gone on holiday so the brood has decended on me now.

Liz
01-Jul-12, 12:53
If you contact Cats Protection they will help by setting traps to get them neutered as, if left, they will just keep breeding. They wouldn't be able to relocate them though as where would they go?

I know it must be a pain for you but it's not their fault that they are there. It's down to people not spaying and also 'dumping' poor cats in the countryside like they are rubbish. :(

annemarie482
01-Jul-12, 14:05
oh i understand that, but theres double figures of them now!
who pays to spay them though? as they dont actually belong to anyone :/

caz
01-Jul-12, 15:59
Contact the cats protection, they pay to get it done and provide the traps to catch them in. (or at least they used to)

Liz
01-Jul-12, 18:09
oh i understand that, but theres double figures of them now!
who pays to spay them though? as they dont actually belong to anyone :/

I know they must be driving you mad! This is what happens though when cats aren't spayed. :( As caz said Cats Protection will pay for them to be neutered but I'm sure they would be glad of a small donation. :)

wicker
02-Jul-12, 16:16
maybe upload a pic just incase any of them are someones lost pet

annemarie482
02-Jul-12, 16:19
definately wild, been living and fed at the farm for a few years now.
all small scrawny and black

Croftergirl
02-Jul-12, 16:31
Just think of it as free pest (rat, mice) control! Cats protection will give you humane traps to catch them n get them spayed, I think you do have to give them a donation tho.

standstill
03-Jul-12, 16:08
Do what I did, put some food down to them and they will leave things alone. They are just hungry, as you said the others are gone away on holiday. Caithness Cats Protection are a wonderful group and will help get the neutered.

Liz
03-Jul-12, 19:21
definately wild, been living and fed at the farm for a few years now.
all small scrawny and black

The poor things will get even more scrawny if they aren't neutered as overbreeding and interbreeding will cause illnesses and deformaties. :(

04-Jul-12, 15:29
My unlce got a trap from caithnes cats protections and set it one evening and by the next morning had caught the cat. His own house was terrified and kept getting attacked by it

annemarie482
04-Jul-12, 21:19
My unlce got a trap from caithnes cats protections and set it one evening and by the next morning had caught the cat. His own house was terrified and kept getting attacked by it

what did they do with the cat?
i'm phoning them tomorrow, neighbours have returned home and are in agreement these need to be dealt with.
there are 12-15 wild cats and now another new litter :(
they hiss and spit, and mess everywhere and are stealing food/ spreading bin contents etc at every chance they get.
to be honest, my kids are scared of them (5 and 3) and with how vicious the cats are, im not suprised the kids are scared!
i know this isn''t the cats fault, but this cant go on.
really hope they can help us.

Dadie
05-Jul-12, 00:10
The cat is usually returned to its territory.........
Though its not unknown for one to be mistaken for a fox etc:D
If you have a marksman on the grounds....
The cat population can go down drasticaly in numbers overnight!
No rules on vermin control........though collared pests are a no no!

Liz
05-Jul-12, 12:41
The cat is usually returned to its territory.........
Though its not unknown for one to be mistaken for a fox etc:D
If you have a marksman on the grounds....
The cat population can go down drasticaly in numbers overnight!
No rules on vermin control........though collared pests are a no no!

I can't believe that you are saying these cats (not vermin!) should be shot!!! Apart from it being against the law, what if the 'marksman' wounds any and causes even more suffering?

The only route is to catch them and neuter. If this had been done long ago there wouldn't be so many now!

Liz
05-Jul-12, 12:45
what did they do with the cat?
i'm phoning them tomorrow, neighbours have returned home and are in agreement these need to be dealt with.
there are 12-15 wild cats and now another new litter :(
they hiss and spit, and mess everywhere and are stealing food/ spreading bin contents etc at every chance they get.
to be honest, my kids are scared of them (5 and 3) and with how vicious the cats are, im not suprised the kids are scared!
i know this isn''t the cats fault, but this cant go on.
really hope they can help us.

They will be returned to the same place once neutered as there is nowhere else for them to go unless you know of any farms or crofts who could take them? You could put a postcard up in the farmer's section at the vets and Pets At Home etc saying that mousers are available for free?

In the meantime if you and your neighbour could feed them somewhere away from your house they won't be coming to you looking for food.

annemarie482
05-Jul-12, 13:58
phoned cats protection this morning, they will be phoning back later to arrange bringing out some traps

Liz
05-Jul-12, 19:00
Glad you are getting it sorted. :)

Dadie
05-Jul-12, 23:45
Vets and euthenasia for those trapped will cost, but, will reduce the numbers(lead shot is cheaper and the outcome is the same) and neutering those you are willing to have back(cpl will see to that) should combat the numbers a bit.Its not only the numbers but the things they harbour thats the problem...the usual fleas and worms are easy to combat with the routine treatment of pets, but, FIV and cat aids are not.

annemarie482
05-Jul-12, 23:51
never phoned back,
to be honest i'd love them all to be gone, but as there's nowhere for them to go i just dont know.
down in newcastle, my uncle had hassle with ferals cats killing pet rabbits etc in the street!
eventually the local authorities caught and put them all down.
but there's nothing like this up here either

Dadie
05-Jul-12, 23:58
No there is nothing...its fustrating! at least if armed with traps you would be able to reduce the numbers..ok its not the cats fault...but they are now causing alarm to your children and annoyance to you.
If trapped you can reduce the nos somehow....
Try getting back on to CPL in the morning!

Southern-Gal
06-Jul-12, 09:18
Agree with Dadie, I wouldnt want them all back. Maybe just one or two that can be wormed properly at intervals in the feed for vermin control.
The risks of toxocara are real with small children, a garden and feral cats in the immediate vicinity. The cats will not be de wormed regularly or at all.
I have two cats, they are barn cats but do not wander as they are well fed. They are wormed properly too. If you cant handle them to worm them they are not worth the risk. The annoying thing with cats is the fact that they go for the looser soil that you have been working as it is easy for them to dig. They love well tended gardens. Especially for the moment at least keep any sand pits covered when not in use, make sure they wash their hands when they come in and also wash very thoroughly any salad and vegetables you grow.
When a cat is a looked after animal it is a pet but when it is allowed to go out of control like this they are vermin really :(

Liz
06-Jul-12, 11:34
Okay I won't be posting again on this as I am saddened by what I am reading. I thought people who used Pets Corner were animal lovers?

Just to say that CP will provide traps and pay for them to be neutered but no healthy cat will be pts. You need to phone them again as it is run by volunteers who have jobs etc so it may just be a case of they haven't had time to call you back yet.
You could call the SSPCA as well and ask for their help.

It makes me mad that cats aren't neutered then dumped in the country like rubbish! They only come onto peoples' property because they are hungry and are then branded as 'pests' and vermin! :( Southern-Gal, the only difference between a pet cat and a feral is the former was given a chance! :(

If people would only intervene sooner and not let the number of cats get out hand then this wouldn't happen. It's an easy solution when it does to just say kill them!:roll:

I was a volunteer with CP for many years and was horrified to find out how many situations there are like this in Caithness and it's all down to the humans but the cats are branded the villains!

Dadie
06-Jul-12, 13:14
Yes I am an animal lover.
I have pets..2 hamsters, 2 rabbits, a dog, a cat,4 giant african land snails and the fish.
I have had chipmunks, chinchillas and guinea pigs etc in the past.
There is a huge difference between animals that are looked after and cared for (pets or farm)and an animal situation that has become out of hand.
If it was a rat problem and not a cat problem ?

Margaret M.
06-Jul-12, 14:16
Yes I am an animal lover.
I have pets..2 hamsters, 2 rabbits, a dog, a cat,4 giant african land snails and the fish.
I have had chipmunks, chinchillas and guinea pigs etc in the past.
There is a huge difference between animals that are looked after and cared for (pets or farm)and an animal situation that has become out of hand.
If it was a rat problem and not a cat problem ?

Dadie, having pets does not make you an animal lover. Whenever possible, animal lovers find humane solutions and cause no harm to animals. Animal lovers would never suggest shooting as the first/only solution. Trap, fix and release.

Dadie
06-Jul-12, 14:38
Ah but there is a problem in the release....where ...they are not wanted where they are...animal centres will really struggle to re home them as they are feral and would put strain on their resources....
The numbers need reduced to get the problem under control and neutering alone wont reduce the numbers there at the moment.
It will help reduce the population explosion, with less kittens being born.

porshiepoo
06-Jul-12, 15:56
Blimey, even I'm gobsmacked at the attitude toward these cats :(
I understand the nuisance they must cause but seriously get a grip people. CPL will neuter them so that at least stops the problem of them breeding again. If the young kittens can be caught they can be rehomed (we have had feral cat kittens and they adapt amazingly well and made great pets) as barn cats or pets.
These cats are simply hungry and are doing what they have to to survive. I agree it's not the most suitable of situations but is it really so drastic and unfathomable that you would consider killing them? with shotguns no less?
Feed the poor things!!! Yes it may encourage them to hang around but they're doing that anyway and at least it will keep them out of your rubbish bags.

It's not just feral cats that will kill rabbits - my own Birman pet cat kills rabbits (wild ones mind). Cats are hunters!

No animal lover would condone the course of action that has been suggested on here. Taking pot shots at feral cats with the risk of injuries rather than death is nothing short of cruel.
They have as much right to an existence as you or I do. Maybe they do look manky but so would you if you weren't fed regular and maybe they do poop in your gardens but there are ways around protecting your soil :roll:

I agree that feral cats can be hissy and spitty but that is usually because they've been backed into somewhere where they cannot escape from. Most feral cats would run a mile before letting a human within 10ft of them and quite frankly I don't blame them!

porshiepoo
06-Jul-12, 16:07
I should also point out that all our cats are fed outside in the barn (pets and barn cats alike) with ad lib food.
We know for a fact that we are also feeding the local feral cat population too. This came to light when our cats were suddenly getting through way too much food. Eventually we began to see the coming and going of several feral cats - feed em and they go away happy and don't bother you!

Yes I have to deal with cat poop on my garden beds and even in my polytunnel soil. Yes it stinks and yes it annoys me but do I blame the cats? Nope, they have to go the same as everyone else and believe it or not they don't do it to deliberately annoy you.
But most of all would I want the cats killed to stop it? No freakin way, that is not a place I am willing to or want to go!

Dadie
06-Jul-12, 16:12
Thanks for the red mark porshiepoo!
But yes reduce the numbers and neuter who is left.
Then you have a healthier cats and a more managable population.
We manage deer numbers, rat numbers, mice etc already.
I never stated what type of rifle/gun to use.
And also mentioned the lethal injection.
Saw a nice article on a drug thats trialling in tests in USA on a strain of sallmonella that is administered in food that leaves the female cats sterile!
Dosage etc still needs work ....think its a long way off.

Croftergirl
06-Jul-12, 18:56
wow, didnt think e poor cats would cause so much outrage by different people.
Im in agreeance wi porshiepoo, feed em and they dont bother you.
there were 17 cats on this croft wen ma mam n dad moved in 40 years ago, e numbers gradually decreased - to such an extent that we had to get some cats a few years ago.
yes get the females nuetured, stop them breedin you dont have a problem.
and again as porshiepoo states, feral kittens can become good pets. I remember tamin some next door wen i was wee.
also I dont think its a problem of cats bein dumped in the country side here, i know the area and there has been feral cats there for ever. as i said before they do a grand job of keepin the rats n mice doon.
as far as im think live and let live, wi animals n humans.
Tell e kids no to go near e cats n no o pick up e poo, and they'll be fine. Kids are more resilient than folk seem to think. And if they do get a scratch they wont go near them again. problem solved!! (meant in the nicest possible sense bedore anyone gets outraged or offended by that!)

anyways call the cat protection folkies again, get some traps, get females neutered then problem solved..... in a few years time wen e older ones start dyin.

annemarie482
06-Jul-12, 19:02
wow! i pop out to buy some wallpaper and come back to a scrap! :eek:

just incase anyone is in any doubt of my position...

A: i do not want the cats dead
B: i will not be shooting/poisoning anything!! lol
C: i will be contacting CP again
D: i posted here for advice, not to be told how nice cats are and how awful humans are

hope that clears a few things up.

Moira
06-Jul-12, 19:42
wow! i pop out to buy some wallpaper and come back to a scrap! :eek:

just incase anyone is in any doubt of my position...

A: i do not want the cats dead
B: i will not be shooting/poisoning anything!! lol
C: i will be contacting CP again
D: i posted here for advice, not to be told how nice cats are and how awful humans are

hope that clears a few things up.

...... And I go away from the forums for a couple of days and come back to moderate a "cat-fight".

Glad to see that you're contacting CP again AnnMarie.

This thread is now closed.