PDA

View Full Version : Decisions... decisions.....

squidge
29-Jun-12, 10:56
This might not be a surprise to you and I know that most of you are not remotely interested but I have made a big point in the last few months about being undecided on the referendum vote. I have said it often and forcibly and so its only fair to let you know that I have decided to set my stall firmly in the Yes camp - for now.

Despite my best efforts to be objective I have found myself the last few weeks falling off the fence into the yes side more and more often. The "Better Together" Launch didnt seem to me to offer anything different or innovative or even inspiring and following the appointment of Denis Canavan and Blair Jenkins to front the YES campaign, I have decided to commit to the Yes vote. That does NOT mean that I wont change my mind if it all goes to hell in a a handcart but it means that I believe that we have the opportunity to affect a change in Scotland and possibly in the wider UK by voting for an independent Scotland. So there you have it - I am sure the vast majority of you are not interested so I am sorry to have filled your computer up with my personal mutterings but I didnt feel in all conscience that I could just sneak it in in another thread after making such a point of being undecided hence the thread.

Happy Friday everybody :lol:

Rheghead
29-Jun-12, 11:21
The "Better Together" Launch didnt seem to me to offer anything different or innovative or even inspiring ..[]...

That was the whole point, it wasn't meant to offer anything different, it was meant to offer the status quo. It wasn't even meant to be innovative, inspiring jazzy or whatever, it was meant to appeal to one's unemotional sense of logical judgement.

Agree that the 'Better Together' may fail because of the Public's obsession with style over substance but the 'Better Together' campaign is what it is.

squidge
29-Jun-12, 11:29
I wanted it to offer more than the status quo because I think that the status quo is failing and has failed millions of people in Scotland and the rest of the UK. I didnt really want style over substance - i wanted substance with style lol

Nick Noble
29-Jun-12, 11:35
I think that the simple question that everyone needs to ask themselves is do they trust promises from politicians.

The better together campaign are simply offering the continuation of what has served the whole of the UK reasonably well for the last few hundred years.

What the independence campaign are promising is that Scotland will be a better place to live after independence because they will make it so.

Do you believe politicians are capable of making Scotland a better place?

I hope that after the dust settles we can then look to Scotland gaining more power to order it's own affairs in ways that suit it better than do some policies dished out from Westminster; I certainly do not want the half baked ideas being promised, the pound controlled from London, our own armed forces, NATO who knows what is being suggested on that one today...

Oh and don't forget we will be awash with money from oil and renewables...

Gronnuck
29-Jun-12, 12:02
I remember the Scottish Devolution Referendum in 1997 and the subsequent formation of the Scottish Parliament. Like a lot of people I hoped for a new inspiring and innovative parliament run by energetic and inspiring politicians. IMHO all we got was a collection of second-rate political wannabes who created another costly layer of bureaucracy. The only thing of note they did was to repeal Claus 28 of the Local Government Act 1988.
While I'm not entirely happy with the status quo I have yet to be convinced independence will solve any of our problems.
I am yet to be convinced that Scotland has any leaders who have the calibre to lead us if we go it alone.

Alrock
29-Jun-12, 12:10
I think that the simple question that everyone needs to ask themselves is do they trust promises from politicians.

No I don't, I let their actions speak & the actions of the current 'Fascist' (& I don't use that word lightly) Westminster Government under the leadership of David Cameron is screaming at me... "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!"

joxville
29-Jun-12, 13:32
A Scottish Parliament was set up to allow Scotland some autonomy and control her own affairs, to break away from London decision makers and politics, and what was the first thing that happened in our Brave New World? A bloody Parliament building, designed by a foreigner, that ended up costing almost 11 times the original estimate! What a great start that was to our new Scotland. Then there's the Edinburgh tram fiasco. And Salmond wants to build another road bridge across the Forth, why? Why not a tunnel that can be used all year long instead of a bridge that'll still be subject high wind problems? Because you can't see a tunnel but you will see a bridge; that's his legacy.

So, will Scottish politics be any different from UK politics? No, it's just the same bloody platitudes and rhetoric and over-spending and budget cuts and increased taxes and snouts-in-the-trough from people you'd never want in your front room. As much as my heart wants to see Scotland independant, my head says it'll all end in tears. And yet, Alex Salmond is probably the best man to get independence for Scotland, but I don't believe he's the best man to lead an independent Scotland. Having said all that, if I was allowed a vote then I'd have to over-rule my head and vote YES, because my convictions are that no other country should decide what happens in another.

As an aside, David Cameron recently said that the Falkand Islanders will hold a referendum on their Sovereignty, and that Argentina should respect the wishes of the people; that's because he's absolutely sure they are going to vote to remain part of the UK, but what if there is a shock win for Argentina? Will he let the Islands go? And if the people of Scotland vote overwhelmingly for independence, will the UK Government grant it?

Alrock
29-Jun-12, 14:00
As an aside, David Cameron recently said that the Falkand Islanders will hold a referendum on their Sovereignty, and that Argentina should respect the wishes of the people; that's because he's absolutely sure they are going to vote to remain part of the UK, but what if there is a shock win for Argentina? Will he let the Islands go? And if the people of Scotland vote overwhelmingly for independence, will the UK Government grant it?

Must have missed that...
Are they going to get the option of total Independence with complete control over the oil reserves in the waters around the Falklands?
If they are they would be fools not to go for that, they are already self sufficient financially (bar the cost of the UK military presence), with all that oil to themselves they could be the Qatar of the South Atlantic, absolutely minted.

ducati
29-Jun-12, 21:11
I respect you for making a decision squidge. Very er..couragous. I think my leaning is known but if someone can convince me the finances could work, and the political landscape would not stagnate, and the jobs thrown out as a first act (defence) could be replaced, well.... who knows.

oldmarine
29-Jun-12, 21:31
I don't intend to get envolved with Scottish politics, but I do want it known that I enjoyed my times there with my job, the people, the scenery (particularly the Highlands), and Scotland in general.