PDA

View Full Version : double standards

Scunner
29-Jun-12, 09:45
A report in todays Groat states that a councillor is 'shocked' at the alcohol related admissions to hospital in Caithness. Wasn't he one of the councillors who supported the later hours for Skinadis?

Rheghead
29-Jun-12, 10:00
Is he an independent?

Alrock
29-Jun-12, 10:01
& your point?
Just because Skinandis stays open later it doesn't follow that people will drink more.
Next you'll be blaming obesity on supermarkets staying open later than they used to or road accidents on 24 hour petrol stations.

Dadie
29-Jun-12, 10:07
You dont have to drink alcohol when in a nightclub or pub.
Isnt the later opening hours in Skinandis to stop everyone being kicked out the pubs and club at the same time to stop the crowds and fighting/altercations in the streets?
And Im sure not all the alcohol related admissions happen on a friday and saturday night....they happen on any night.
Even those on a friday/ saturday night are not all coming out of Skinandis.
I ended up in A&E on a Saturday morning(after a nights sleep) after a night out in Skinandis after slipping in high heels and I wasnt drinking alcohol as I was the designated driver!

ofur
29-Jun-12, 11:31
If you weren't drinking then i don't suppose it would be alcohol related... :P

Dadie
29-Jun-12, 12:46
Not drink related ...but nightclub...high shoes related!
Think it was going to put down to alcohol related as it happened when in the nightclub....until I said I was driving!
And not drinking!:)

Green_not_greed
29-Jun-12, 13:29
It took me a week bit to work out what the figures actually mean, but it does look like Wick is a lot worse than Thurso or Landward Caithness in terms of incidents/cases.

Figures in the paper are for 2 years 2007-2009.

Wick 2143, Thurso 1476, Landward 1280 per 100,000 people.

I wondered how many instances there had actually been in those 2 years.

The Council website states that the population of those wards in 2010 was Wick 6588, Thurso 7246, and Landward 11290.

So that works out at the following number of actual incidents/cases: Wick 141, Thurso 107, Landward 145.

Thats in 2 years so half that gives: Wick 71, Thurso 54, Landward 73 per year. So Wick has about 6 per month, Thurso 4.5 per month and Landward 6 per month. With Wick having the smaller population of the three wards (and less than 60% of the Landward population) that at least highlights the situation to me far better than the published figures.

GNG

Rheghead
29-Jun-12, 14:46
Or put another way...

Wick 2.9 incidents/km/yr

Thurso 4.9 incidents/km/yr

Landward 0.04 incidents/km/yr

Alrock
29-Jun-12, 14:52
Or put yet another way...

Keeps the hospital busy... keeps people in jobs... less likely to be shut down... lets have a few more just to make sure...

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

Green_not_greed
29-Jun-12, 21:11
Or put another way...

Wick 2.9 incidents/km/yr

Thurso 4.9 incidents/km/yr

Landward 0.04 incidents/km/yr

Could you please explain the km/yr basis? This is alcohol disease related incidents, nothing to do with driving or distance. Thanks.

oldmarine
29-Jun-12, 21:23
Could you please explain the km/yr basis? This is alcohol disease related incidents, nothing to do with driving or distance. Thanks.
A good question.

sids
29-Jun-12, 21:29

It's a km from my house to Spoons'.

Rheghead
30-Jun-12, 00:40

I meant to type kmē/yr, put that way, wick is a haven of sobriety compared with Thurso

gleeber
30-Jun-12, 08:24
Theres more people enjoy the comforts of alcohol than are torn apart by it but no one can be held responsable for someone elses drinking other than the person doing the drinking. Alcohols a symptom of a much deeper problem. Its in the consumer where problem drinking lies, not the bottle.

Better Out Than In
30-Jun-12, 12:54
I blame the parents

Kevin Milkins
01-Jul-12, 11:22
Or put another way...

Wick 2.9 incidents/km/yr

Are you having a pop at me again?