PDA

View Full Version : Barclays Bank

rob murray
28-Jun-12, 17:16
Yet another bank fiddling story...you dont have to have serious qualifications to do what these guys did, just phone around yer mates and rig the market. Personally I never got the, pay big bonuses or drive bankers out the country line....colleges and universities are full of young eager people who Im sure could be trained to work in so called investment banking, who would gladly accept a good wage ( without a bonus ) Any thoughts on this...as I see it banking / investment banking is not, nor ever was rocket science and plent of people have the aptititude to do these jobs !

Alrock
28-Jun-12, 17:22
Have to agree... biggest form of unregulated gambling out there, would be better off getting your wages paid straight into William Hills, at least they are honest about what they do.

rob murray
28-Jun-12, 17:30
Have to agree... biggest form of unregulated gambling out there, would be better off getting your wages paid straight into William Hills, at least they are honest about what they do.

Spot on, totally agree, what we have seen these last few years has been largely the results of unchecked unregulated bank led gambling....oh but now the whats it as hit the fan...we are all in it together eh...tighten ones belt...cut benefits....make the poor and the workers pay eh blah blah blah eh !!!

ducati
01-Jul-12, 23:03
Spot on, totally agree, what we have seen these last few years has been largely the results of unchecked unregulated bank led gambling....oh but now the whats it as hit the fan...we are all in it together eh...tighten ones belt...cut benefits....make the poor and the workers pay eh blah blah blah eh !!!

I agree about the dodgy practices. But you do understand that is how banks make money? How do you think they can provide free bank accounts and all the other free services such as online banking, cash machines etc?

The call for high street banking and investment banking to be separated will lead to one thing. No more free banking. And that will effect the poor and the workers blah blah blah eh!

rob murray
02-Jul-12, 09:38
I agree about the dodgy practices. But you do understand that is how banks make money? How do you think they can provide free bank accounts and all the other free services such as online banking, cash machines etc?

The call for high street banking and investment banking to be separated will lead to one thing. No more free banking. And that will effect the poor and the workers blah blah blah eh!

Over the week end so called dodgy practices are being classified as criminal activity with the FBI likely to be involved, banks make money by buying cheap and lending high, so your arguement is to let them be as wide as possible so that "free" banking is maintained...fine if thats the price we pay and yur happy with that good for you

Alrock
02-Jul-12, 10:28
What peeves me off the most about banks is the way they make huge amounts of money by gambling on a business failing & in the process pretty much guaranteeing it fails by their shady practices, you could hardly call that "good for business" (except their own).
Sorry I don't know all the technical mumbo-jumbo but then again they only hide what they are doing behind a wall of mumbo-jumbo in the hope that people don't realise what they are up to.

Can they honestly not make a *reasonable profit from good old fashioned lending money to businesses, businesses grow, businesses pay the money back with interest.

* By "reasonable profit" I mean enough to pay their staff (including management) a reasonably realistic wage with a small profit for future investment.

RecQuery
02-Jul-12, 11:28

With charges and using your money and transfers for short term investments it's hardly free banking now is it. If they start to charge I expect the number of Credit Unions to rise even further that it has already. Perhaps if banks didn't have suck extreme high end salary and benefit packages for some employees - evidentially not t heir IT department - then perhaps the cost of doing business would be cheaper also.