PDA

View Full Version : Bomber Command Memorial in London

Rheghead
28-Jun-12, 12:29
I think the new memorial statue was long over due and is very handsome and fitting tribute. Many thanks to all those who made it possible.

billmoseley
28-Jun-12, 12:52
i agree about time. my father was a very proud member of bomber command and flew many missions which i only really found out about when i was reading his war time diaries after his death. Very humbling when you realise how often they laid there lives on the line for us.

oldchemist
28-Jun-12, 20:15
Totally agree. Anyone with issues surrounding Bomber Command activities should seek to attack the politicians who dictate policy, not the service personnel who carry out the policy.

George Brims
28-Jun-12, 20:36
I remember my dad talking about a friend of his from Wick who was in Bomber Command. He came home on leave after something like 30 missions over Germany, and on his last day walked the length of Bridge St in tears, saying goodbye to people he met, because he was convinced his luck couldn't last. And he was right. His body was recovered washed up on the shore of the Zuider Zee after his plane was shot down. I hope this doesn't stir up bad memories for anyone - I don't know his name.

Sadly, this veteran missed the unveiling of the memorial.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9359894/Major-Nick-Knilans.html

iain
28-Jun-12, 22:02
Thank you to all of Bomber Command as if it were not for the over 55500 who never came back I would not be sitting here.

pat
29-Jun-12, 11:29
Agree with you old chemist and Iain.

Politicians have a lot to hang their heads in shame in our recentish history.

Many thanks to the many millions of personnelwho through the years who have fought to keep this country free of oppressors, for us to have the freedom to express ourselves and live our lives as we wish.

Many years ago used to meet many of the WW11 forces, most would never usually talk about their exploits but the pain of memories was evident. If any of them talked it would be heart-breaking to see the emotions and hear the breaks in their voices as they talked and remembered their comrades who did not return or were permanently disfigured visually or mentally.

Bomber Command memorial is one place I personally will be visiting in November on visit to London. The hotel where I am gokng for the lunch overlooks the site so will also be able to view it from a slightly different angle than ground level.