PDA

View Full Version : population ageing fast

tonkatojo
28-Jun-12, 10:24
A BBC report says Caithness folk are ageing the fastest. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18612646 :(

pat
28-Jun-12, 11:19
Living in Outer Hebrides the same has been happening here for years.
The youngsters finish school, head for uni or college on mainland and find FREEDOM, only returning for high days and holidays or if they feel they want to bring up their children in what they feel is a safer environment.
Many of the people coming to the islands are retirees, or more mature people seeking to leave the rat race behind.
The island people here are always shouting we are a dieing society but until the areas do something to attract the younger generation to remain, return or make a new life in our areas it will continue to be a dieing and ageing community.

Kodiak
28-Jun-12, 11:25
I think you will find that it is just bad reporting. Time in Caithness ticks along at the same speed as it does in the rest of the highlands. So the people in Caithness are aging at the same rate as everyone else, 1 year at a time.

Perhaps they should have said that people in Caithness are living longer that the rest of the Highlands and this means that the population of the elderly is growing.

Beat Bug
28-Jun-12, 11:37
Perhaps they should have said that people in Caithness are living longer that the rest of the Highlands and this means that the population of the elderly is growing.

Or living in a cleaner, healthier, and more relaxed atmosphere!

Rheghead
28-Jun-12, 11:58
Living in Outer Hebrides the same has been happening here for years.
The youngsters finish school, head for uni or college on mainland and find FREEDOM, only returning for high days and holidays or if they feel they want to bring up their children in what they feel is a safer environment.
Many of the people coming to the islands are retirees, or more mature people seeking to leave the rat race behind.
The island people here are always shouting we are a dieing society but until the areas do something to attract the younger generation to remain, return or make a new life in our areas it will continue to be a dieing and ageing community.

I think you are absolutely correct.

The solution to the problem of this drain on our young population is to exploit the natural resources that have a sustainable future and which are in high demand from a environmental and political point of view. All too often though, the selfish interests of the older generation that you speak of hamper the development of these technologies and therefore exasperates the loss of our younger folk. Our young people need a place that they can say they belong and have a sustainable future that can have a direct positive influence on the world that they live in.

Alrock
28-Jun-12, 12:00
Maybe they are just talking about the signs of ageing, the harsh weather up here is wreaking havoc with peoples complexion...

George Brims
28-Jun-12, 20:53
It must be genetic. I'm from Caithness and even though I live in California, I was just thinking as I struggled out of bed this morning how much I'm aging.

Moira
28-Jun-12, 21:30
I think you are absolutely correct.

The solution to the problem of this drain on our young population is to exploit the natural resources that have a sustainable future and which are in high demand from a environmental and political point of view. All too often though, the selfish interests of the older generation that you speak of hamper the development of these technologies and therefore exasperates the loss of our younger folk. Our young people need a place that they can say they belong and have a sustainable future that can have a direct positive influence on the world that they live in.

I absolutely agree!

joxville
28-Jun-12, 21:44
A BBC report says Caithness folk are ageing the fastest. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18612646 :(I quite believe it too because my son is now older than me, or he certainly acts that way because he knows everything ;-)

Moira
28-Jun-12, 21:50
I blame the Oil of Olay not working as it should. I guess we all need something to blame...

Alrock
28-Jun-12, 22:11
I blame the Oil of Olay not working as it should. I guess we all need something to blame...

Should have stuck with "Ulay", that's where it all went wrong.

Moira
28-Jun-12, 22:41
Yes, but Ulay changed to Olay and what's a girl to do ??!!.....

Who did you change to then? Pray tell?

oldmarine
29-Jun-12, 05:13
It must be genetic. I'm from Caithness and even though I live in California, I was just thinking as I struggled out of bed this morning how much I'm aging.

George: I live in Tucson, AZ. At 87 years of age there are times when I feel like I can't make it through the day.

Better Out Than In
30-Jun-12, 13:39
Its all in the mind. There no such thing as getting old. All you have to do is...... err what was I saying?