PDA

View Full Version : ID on dogs

mop top
27-Jun-12, 20:46
Just a reminder to all dog owners, it is actually a legal requirement to have ID on your dog with its address and telephone number. Tags are very reasonable and pets at home will engrave them as you wait. Microchipping is also a permanent way of ensuring your dog will always find its way back to you if it is lost but again changes in circumstances need to be registered.

If you havent got ID on your dog please put it on your list of things to do and at least get a tag, it saves an awful lot of heartache for you and your dog if it does happen to escape. Or if you have changed address please update your details with the chipping company.

Thanks for reading

mumof2
27-Jun-12, 23:04
do you have to have both phone number and address?, i only put my phone number on the dogs tags normally so was just checking before i buy new ones!

Dadie
27-Jun-12, 23:27
Thought PAH had to send them off.
Im fed up getting the cat tagged....I get him a few everytime im in Inverness as he loses/leaves his collar behind deliberately.
The tags I like only have room for the phone no and animals name and not the address as its quite a long st name.
Both dog and cat are chipped anyway....
And I might think about an iron on label like the kids school clothes on the dogs collar (on the inside) with address and other phone nos if needed.
The cat has our phone no on the inside of most of the collars he has misplaced...in permanent marker pen as well.

miss_mcd
28-Jun-12, 01:04
Do you know how much it is at Pets at Home to get a Tag & get it engraved? I'm getting a puppy soon and want to get him ID.

mop top
28-Jun-12, 07:26
Name of the owner and address is the legal requirement.

however the KC recommend a phone number and your post code I would endorse the phone number being very important as well to help you be reunited asap or at least know that your dog is safe and has been picked up.

Tags range from £5 to £10 in pets at home last time i bought one for my latest addition it was ready within a few minutes in store

Theerah0166
28-Jun-12, 14:53
I buy my dog tags on line from Identitag who will put anything you like on them - both sides. Side one for my lot is home address, landline phone number and mobile no. Side 2 has the fact that they are microchipped and neutered, + Vet's number and my car number (just in case someone finds them near the car!). Tags from Identitag are only about £5 each although they will give discount for larger numbers. Can't remember their actual site info, but they can be contacted at: info@identitag.co.uk if that is of any use to you all. Highly recommend them as they usually arrive by post within a couple of days of ordering.

spaceddaisy
28-Jun-12, 20:44
I use ebay, lots of sellers run through there for pet tags and it's far, far more reasonable than what pets at home charge.

mop top
28-Jun-12, 21:30
It dont really matter where they come from as long as the info required is on your dog. I bought all mines from pets at home which is why i mentioned them. It obviously pays to shop around though.

DonMac
29-Jun-12, 08:28
If your dog is not a wanderer I would not recommend a tag especially if you are camping people. Many moons ago when our family went on camping holidays friends of ours returned home from camping in Perthshire to find their house had been broken into. Their dogs tag was missing (they thought she'd lost it whilst swimming), however the police thought it had been stollen as they'd seen this before. I'd rather be illegal than have my house robbed.

Dadie
29-Jun-12, 09:56
The info is all on the INSIDE of Poppy dogs collar....
And she doesnt wander.
So a tag by the sounds of things is not needed....as long as the info is on the dog...as mop top said.
I would have to see someone else other than family try to catch her and remove her collar as she would run!
But I might look into the fabric iron/stick on labels as they are easier to read/replace after a while of wear.

Alrock
29-Jun-12, 10:07
I was always under the impression (since childhood) that the advice was that you should never put your address on a tag (dog, keyring, purse etc), only a phone number.

Serenity
29-Jun-12, 17:45
I got some for my cats at the locksmith/shoe repair place in Olrig Street Thurso. Sure they were cheaper than what is quoted there for pets at home, and they look good!