PDA

View Full Version : Labrador/collie cross

stewart4364
27-Jun-12, 19:45
We had to have our dog put to sleep today. She was over 15 years old (over 105 years in doggy years) and had suffered strokes in recent months but sadly we could see her going downhill. She was not suffering but I think she realised as well as us that the time to be parted had arrived. We are both heartbroken after so many happy and faithful years together.
Rest in peace dear girl you will never be forgotten. Enjoy yourself in doggie heaven.

Liz
27-Jun-12, 20:08
Aw I am so sorry. :(

It breaks your heart to say goodbye but it is the last act of love to let them go before they suffer. Your lovely lady (what is her name?) will be grateful that you spared her this.

Although you will ache for her physical presence she will never leave you and you will be reunited one day.

My sincere condolences. x

stewart4364
27-Jun-12, 20:35
Her name was Fern.

mop top
27-Jun-12, 20:37
Run free Fern,

there is a link death cannot sever love and remembrance last forever

Moira
27-Jun-12, 20:52
Bless your broken hearts, run free at Rainbow Bridge Fern..... x

Iffy
28-Jun-12, 09:24
My Dad's dog, Marty who was 17 years old, died at home with Dad on Monday night, 25th June. :~(

Absolutely heart-breaking, both to lose Marty and to see my poor Dad in tears...

I share your pain, stewart4364, on your sad loss of Fern. :(

Thinking of you at this very sad and upsetting time. XX

sheepdogman
28-Jun-12, 09:49
Had my best friend loyal companion and work colleague put down christmas 2010 miss him dearly. You never get over it but nothing can take away the memories, i have a couple of young dogs by him although good dogs they can't replace my old boy Tyke rest in peace old lad x

Liz
28-Jun-12, 13:22
My Dad's dog, Marty who was 17 years old, died at home with Dad on Monday night, 25th June. :~(

Absolutely heart-breaking, both to lose Marty and to see my poor Dad in tears...

I share your pain, stewart4364, on your sad loss of Fern. :(

Thinking of you at this very sad and upsetting time. XX

My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your Dad's beloved companion Marty. :( Hugs! <£

Had my best friend loyal companion and work colleague put down christmas 2010 miss him dearly. You never get over it but nothing can take away the memories, i have a couple of young dogs by him although good dogs they can't replace my old boy Tyke rest in peace old lad x

You don't get over it but the raw, aching pain does ease. Having said that I do think of, and shed a tear for, all my beloved pets who have passed over. Thankfully, the memories of them also me smile and laugh.

Liz
28-Jun-12, 13:24
Her name was Fern.

A lovely name. :) Run free Fern where there is no illness, pain or sadness. x

stewart4364
30-Jun-12, 10:17
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments for Fern. Fern is probably running around with our other dogs and pets we have had over the past 33 years -- some died because of illness and others of old age. They may have passed on but our faithful animals will live long in our memories. We think about all the good and happy times we had with our animals and remember them as they were, running around and playing with each other. Thanks again for your kind comments.

Iffy
01-Jul-12, 09:25
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer.. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try to live.

He said,' People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?''
The Six-year-old continued,' Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

Garnet
01-Jul-12, 17:42
Phew, that takes your breath away...what's the saying...'out of the mouth of babes and.....many years ago my own dog disappeared from outside our gate where he waited every day for our return, every search possible was made to no avail therefore no 'closer' as they say,never had another dog since, a couple of rabbbits and brilliant little hamsters though, I just watch the wild rabbits now!!:confused