PDA

View Full Version : Moderated posts?

connieb19
26-Nov-06, 13:42
Am I the only person who finds it odd certain posts are moved whilst others are not. I notice Ricco's Birthday was were moved to Births/ Deaths? Marriages, fair enough, that's where it should be but why is it that some are left on the general.
Also on Literature, Kingetter's post "Together in the house" was picked up on for him not being the author of the poem but it's never been pointed out on anyone eles poems?
There's 10 moderators on each section, so it's hard to believe that some posts just slip through without being noticed. Is it the posts themselves or whoever the posters are that are moderated? :confused

sam
26-Nov-06, 14:05
maybe its the posters and not the posts who are being moderated, its certainly looks like that

Rheghead
26-Nov-06, 14:15
I haven't noticed any 'victimisation'?:confused. I may have the reason why some posters do get moderated more than others, it may be that they are naughtier than the rest of us![lol]

connieb19
26-Nov-06, 14:18
I haven't noticed any 'victimisation'?. I may have the reason why some posters do get moderated more than others, it may be that they are naughtier than the rest of us![lol]
EEK!!!:eek: Maybe some birthdays are naughtier than other. lol

Rheghead
26-Nov-06, 14:22
EEK!!!:eek: Maybe some birthdays are naughtier than other. lol

now that would depend on the nature of the celebrations! :eek:

unicorn
26-Nov-06, 14:22
I also noticed this in the pet section a couple of posts were removed I assume for frivolous posting yet I watched the household cleaning tips fill up with rubbish and nothing was moved or changed.

Dreadnought
26-Nov-06, 14:24
...yet I watched the household cleaning tips fill up with rubbish...

The tips were no good then? :lol:

connieb19
26-Nov-06, 14:25
I also noticed this in the pet section a couple of posts were removed I assume for frivolous posting yet I watched the household cleaning tips fill up with rubbish and nothing was moved or changed.
That's exactly the sort of thing I mean Unicorn. Fair enough rules are rules but they dont seem to be consistant. :confused

Billy Boy
26-Nov-06, 14:30
no offence to rheghead and his good misses on their recent good news, but shouldnt that of been in the announcements section too and not on the general forum?
and that was put on by a moderator aswell arent they ment to lead by example?
or is this an example of different rules for mods and orgers:confused

moonshadow
26-Nov-06, 14:40
im going to go out on a limb here and will probably get jumped on. but i am suprised that the discussion about english neighbours has been allowed to stay considering theres "racist" comments in it. i just think that if it was the same wording but about another ethnic grouping, it would get heavily moderated with member banning and message deletions.

Rheghead
26-Nov-06, 14:44
no offence to rheghead and his good misses on their recent good news, but shouldnt that of been in the announcements section too and not on the general forum?
and that was put on by a moderator aswell arent they ment to lead by example?
or is this an example of different rules for mods and orgers:confused

Non taken and you have a point there! But you were wrong on one thing, this time, there were no misses, only hits right on target...:cool:

connieb19
26-Nov-06, 14:44
Why remove a thread about the cost of keeping a pet? There was plenty of interesting information on there and when I went back for another look it was gone!! :confused

canuck
26-Nov-06, 15:04
I haven't noticed any 'victimisation'?:confused. I may have the reason why some posters do get moderated more than others, it may be that they are naughtier than the rest of us![lol]

Confession time - I knew perfectly well that I was posting ricco's birthday greetings in the wrong section. I did it so that initially at least it would be seen. I sat there, late into my night even, saying to the computer screen "moira go to bed, Colin log off" so that I wouldn't likely have a mod/admin person finding the "out of place" thread before ricco had a chance to read it himself.

As to posters being victimized, no I don't think that is happening here. I do have threads I post on removed or moved. But it is going to happen to anyone as chatty as I am. As for the naughty aspect, that is one area I'm not likely to be censored for. Sometimes I might make a mistake because I don't know the Caithnessian "slang", but unfortunate sexual innuendo is not my style.

So: my thread was moved, yes. It was in the wrong place, I admit that. Am I being targeted, I doubt it. Was there something naughty, no.

Finally, this is ricco's birthday. Let's celebrate that! Can we drop this issue for now?

girnigoe
26-Nov-06, 15:08
I received a warning for posting my thread about tablet on the main forum [mad]

I was really hacked off because I never step out of line!! I didnt really think a warning was necessary....

connieb19
26-Nov-06, 15:12
I received a warning for posting my thread about tablet on the main forum [mad]

I was really hacked off because I never step out of line!! I didnt really think a warning was necessary....
LOL Girnigoe, maybe someone found it offensive. :lol: Sorry for laughing, but thats unreal you got a warning for that.

girnigoe
26-Nov-06, 15:18
Yeah I know!!! Thats what I thought :grin:

Colin Manson
26-Nov-06, 15:52
Am I the only person who finds it odd certain posts are moved whilst others are not.

Maybe an example would help you understand...

You posted on the English neighbours... thread, predicting moderation.

Tiggertoo only replied with his/her honest feelings, why shouldn't they have? No doubt the post will be removed and all the nice friendly replies will stay on.

Now I could say that the post was bordering on "Inciting racial hatred" which is of course a crime.

The same thread has been reported twice by different users. Who is right, what should stay and what should be removed?

Everyone has a different opinion, all 10 moderators don't read every section or every post.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean that it's wrong. You agreed to the Term and Conditions when you registered, so when you selected Yes to

You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

What part of that didn't you understand?

Royster1911
26-Nov-06, 16:05
Maybe an example would help you understand...

You posted on the English neighbours... thread, predicting moderation.

Now I could say that the post was bordering on "Inciting racial hatred" which is of course a crime.

The same thread has been reported twice by different users. Who is right, what should stay and what should be removed?

Everyone has a different opinion, all 10 moderators don't read every section or every post.

Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean that it's wrong. You agreed to the Term and Conditions when you registered, so when you selected Yes to

If that or any other thread is on the borderline (in your opinion) of breaking the law, why is it not removed before a person crosses the line leaving them open to prosecution and possibly .org as well for allowing it?

Dreadnought
26-Nov-06, 16:07

Is this the moderator motto for this forum? It is the same rude reply given to all who question the moderators.

connieb19
26-Nov-06, 16:09
I quite understand the rules and I can totally see where people are coming form on the "English Neighbours" thread but the way I see it is, on the very fist post all you have to do is change the word English to Asian or immigrant and the post would have been removed straight away, instead it was left on and it was obvious there was going to be a reply like Tiggertoo's. I don't agree with Tiggertoo's reply but I do think that seeing as the question was asked and allowed to be asked that people should be prepared for some negative replies, if not why bother even asking.
As for the other threads, I am still curious to know why a thread which was discussing the cost of keeping a pet would be removed. I didn't realise I was breaking any rules by askng. :confused

connieb19
26-Nov-06, 16:17
Since when did the English become a different race anyway? :eek:

Ricco
26-Nov-06, 16:18
Hi, guys (and gals),

Can I come in on this thread - seeing as how it partly concerns me and its my b'day? I must confess that I have not noticed the B, M & D forum beffore and perhaps it is new. In defence of the admin, it does make sense that birthday greetings are there; it may take us all a while to get used to it. I would like to thank all of you for your kind greetings (I've already done that in the right place).

As for the poems; well, maybe some are more obviously cribs than others. My knowledge of all things poetic is rather slim but others may be more versed (or should that be prosed?) than myself and may be in a greater position to spot something plagiarised. If an orger does use a poem originally written by someone else they should correctly acknowledge its source, then there is no harm in showing our appreciation of a good piece of verse.

Anyway, I have got to go and pluck the bird for tonight (pheasant, not the missus).

Take care,

Ricco

Colin Manson
26-Nov-06, 16:18
I agree with you about the nature of the initial question but if we act quickly and remove posts that we suspect will turn out like that one has we'll get the usual rants from the minority who feel that it's their god given right to do as they please.

I don't know why your post was removed I haven't even looked at the Pet section yet. I'll investigate...

Royster1911 I believe the issue is in hand.

Dreadnought
26-Nov-06, 16:21
I agree with you about the nature of the initial question but if we act quickly and remove posts that we suspect will turn out like that one has we'll get the usual rants from the minority who feel that it's their god given right to do as they please.

Maybe you should amend that to '...do as they please on this forum...'

Colin Manson
26-Nov-06, 16:21
Since when did the English become a different race anyway? :eek:

Not all of the content is about the English, tiggertoo mentioned polish, chinese ,asians, the romanians and bulgarions.

Colin Manson
26-Nov-06, 16:28
As for the other threads, I am still curious to know why a thread which was discussing the cost of keeping a pet would be removed. I didn't realise I was breaking any rules by askng. :confused

I can't find any moved threads that you started or posted in.

connieb19
26-Nov-06, 16:30
I can't find any moved threads that you started or posted in.
I never posted on the thread. I was looking for information and when I went back to look it was gone. :confused It had some interesting information about the price of keeping a pet.

unicorn
26-Nov-06, 16:35
You wont find it anyway colin as it was not moved it was deleted.

Colin Manson
26-Nov-06, 16:36
Can you fill in the blanks then unicorn?

unicorn
26-Nov-06, 16:47
All I know is that it was deleted I assumed it was for frivolous posting but as I said to the admin I asked I really don't see why informative posts were not left and the useless ones just removed.

Colin Manson
26-Nov-06, 17:10
Sometimes it's not possible to edit a thread to remove all of the frivolous posts, it doesn't make an sense afterwards.

I now know what thread you are talking about and I seem to remember that it consisted of 6 posts and only 2 of those had any actual content. It wouldn't take much to recreate the content.

unicorn
26-Nov-06, 17:12
I know and I will if the subject is raised again.