PDA

View Full Version : Giving Blood

Fluff
25-Nov-06, 23:00
Just a question to those who give blood.

How do you feel afterwards? I normally feel alittle unwell, weak etc but i gave on thursday and had to lie down after getting up, felt quite unwell/giddy. (probarly unrelated but go abit of a bruise at the needle point to)

i have fainted once before after giving. I know it is bad but it is putting me off alittle always feeling so unwell after.

Anyone else suffer?

_Ju_
25-Nov-06, 23:22
It takes a while for your body to adapt to the blood you lost. Your spleen has to contract to put reserves in circulation and this takes a while. After you have given blood you should not try to get up to quickly and after a rest drink some water/juice/tea to put up your blood volume. The symptoms you describe are those of low blood pressure. The bruising is pretty normal ( unless it's large) and is an unfortunate consequence of breaking into your veins ( a little blood spills into surrounding tissues).
If however the symptoms worry you, or you think they are excessive, talk to the nurse before you give blood. Giving blood is not the most comfortable thing a person can do, but many people thank you for it. Personally I think the worst thing about it is when they ############### (puncture)your finger to measure the heamoglobin.

rockchick
25-Nov-06, 23:27
I have the unfortunate (?) match of being an universal donor (O- blood type) and absolutely terrified of needles. I have managed to give blood every possible opportunity the last three years, but every time I risk a panic/terror attack. Not fun! but well worth it, if it benefits someone.

Fluff
25-Nov-06, 23:30
oh defintly! i would rather have a day of feeling a bit ill than the poor person having to recive it!
was talking to my boss about it yesterday, i am on the bone marrow ttansplant reg too. should you be called up, its not nice it being taken but i would rather that than the suffering he reciver has had!

oldmarine
25-Nov-06, 23:40
I have the unfortunate (?) match of being an universal donor (O- blood type) and absolutely terrified of needles. I have managed to give blood every possible opportunity the last three years, but every time I risk a panic/terror attack. Not fun! but well worth it, if it benefits someone.

I also am a type O (universal) donor and have given much blood over the years. I believe it is a wonderful thing to do for those who need the blood.

sweetpea
25-Nov-06, 23:50
I've always wanted to donate blood but always kind of thought it was a bit weird not knowing where it would end up. I'm not scared of needles or anything but just something holds me back from doing it. Can you go along to the sessions and speak to someone before you do it?

_Ju_
26-Nov-06, 00:13
I've always wanted to donate blood but always kind of thought it was a bit weird not knowing where it would end up.

I was just wondering what made you feel weird about where your blood would end up???? I can tell you it would end up inside someone in dire need of it. It would save one or many lives. And one day someone elses blood might save yours. Yes, offcourse you can speak with a nurse before making any decision and can back out at anytime. There is also information on line: http://www.scotblood.scot.nhs.uk/

sweetpea
26-Nov-06, 00:36
Ju, I'm not really sure what I meant either just curious I guess. I think I'll go to the next one and just go in and speak to a nurse first to explain the process. I find once I know the ins and outs of something I can make a better judgement. Let you know how I get on.:)

Ann
26-Nov-06, 01:14
Just a question to those who give blood.

How do you feel afterwards? I normally feel alittle unwell, weak etc but i gave on thursday and had to lie down after getting up, felt quite unwell/giddy. (probarly unrelated but go abit of a bruise at the needle point to)

i have fainted once before after giving. I know it is bad but it is putting me off alittle always feeling so unwell after.

Anyone else suffer?

Do make sure you eat properly the day of the donation and drink plenty water or tea before and after. It is surprising how many people don't eat enough food during the day and that can make you feel faint after giving blood.

Do talk to the staff the next time you go to see if there is anything else that can be done to make you suffer less.

lin
26-Nov-06, 01:21
I was a blood doner, until I needed a blood transfusion. The last thing i was thinking off was who does this blood belong to?? I thought make me better. It did make me feel better knowing I was a blood doner before getting the blood. If you are able, give blood, you can safe a life.

unicorn
26-Nov-06, 01:35
Well I am ashamed to say I have never given blood and I do keep meaning to as I am rheuses d- .The only problem I have with it is every time I have had to give any blood samples it has been a nightmare for the nurse to get it and I am left aching for days, I once had to get it taken at my wrist and they have never managed to get any from my left arm so I guess I am a bit of a coward.

_Ju_
26-Nov-06, 10:07
Well I am ashamed to say I have never given blood and I do keep meaning to as I am rheuses d- .The only problem I have with it is every time I have had to give any blood samples it has been a nightmare for the nurse to get it and I am left aching for days, I once had to get it taken at my wrist and they have never managed to get any from my left arm so I guess I am a bit of a coward.

Taking blood for testing is alot more painful than for donating ( needle diameters). Also the nurses at the blood bank do only that: placing intravenous needles! They are experts! Nurses and doctors at GP's aren't constantly doing this, so they are more likely to miss or to have to dig around a bit to get the needle exactly right.

Fluff
26-Nov-06, 13:15
they can also give you a local to help with the pain.

mums angels
26-Nov-06, 13:18
I'm O neg and have never been able to give blood while the blood drive has been up ..you can't give blood if you've had a baby in the past year, body peircing in last 6 months or antibiotics in past 2 weeks. Does anyone know if you can give blood at your local hospital instead of waiting to the next blood drive?

Ricco
26-Nov-06, 16:27
As I've mentioned before, I have been giving blood for years - somewhere over 50 'pints' now. I never get used to the needle - well, its not natural is it? I take my 5 miniutes rest and then a nice cuppa. Only felt dizzy once and that was 'cos I tried to get up too soon.

Be brave - its for a good cause. Its the one thing we give away that we can quickly renew, so it is no loss. :cool:

badger
26-Nov-06, 18:35
I'm O neg and have never been able to give blood while the blood drive has been up ..you can't give blood if you've had a baby in the past year, body peircing in last 6 months or antibiotics in past 2 weeks. Does anyone know if you can give blood at your local hospital instead of waiting to the next blood drive?

I missed both local sessions once, just couldn't make it, so I asked if I could do it elsewhere and found there is a permanent clinic at Raigmore. You just need to make an appointment. Think that's the nearest.

Unicorn - they are pretty expert at the sessions and you may find one arm is better than the other. One of mine was pretty feeble and now won't give a drop so I just have to remember to always use the other one. Don't know what happens when that one gives up but maybe by then I'll be too old anyway ;)

Fran
27-Nov-06, 02:53
If you are having surgery and are likely to need blood, you can donate your own blood for yourself, in the hospital, a few days before your op.
I used to give blood and it doesnt hurt at all, just the blood test from your finger.
I would like to thank everyone who donates, ( i cant anymore,) as a blood transfusion saved my life 11 years ago when i required a few pints of blood.

mccaugm
27-Nov-06, 11:45

A request to get something called "Emla Cream" from your doctor should help. It numbs the area where the needle will go, therefore you experience less pain. It takes an hour to work but can be done at home before you attend the blood donating session. It is used routinely on children in hopitals to take the fear out getting an injection etc