PDA

View Full Version : New top management required (Wot no EGM)

Goldfish
19-Jan-05, 22:42
I see that the Academy have finally reached rock bottom. After changing players, coaches, and managers it must surely be time to change the top layer of management?

It look's as if the management have the upper hand over the fans i.e they refuse to respond to calls for an EGM ref: Caithness Courier.

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Jan-05, 13:09
My feeling is this: Should Wick Academy finish the season at the bottom of the table - or any other team for that matter - they should be relegated to the North Caledonian League. And thus, the winners of the NCL going through to the Highland League. It would generate more excitement, and expectation, among fans and players alike.

squidge
20-Jan-05, 13:24
See now i never get this!!!! Its the players that kick the football around arent they the ones that are responsible for not scoring the goals?

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Jan-05, 13:34
In theory, yes. However, a manager is responsible for 'how' they play; motivation; man management in order to get the best from the players he has. If he has the players' respect and backing they'll want to do better for him. If they don't - they won't play as well as they can. Management, good management, is important.

Perhaps Wick Academy need a foreign coach: someone from outwith the county. Just kidding, folks.

squidge
20-Jan-05, 14:43
Wanting to do better is fine if they are not just rubbish

golach
20-Jan-05, 14:49
In theory, yes. However, a manager is responsible for 'how' they play; motivation; man management in order to get the best from the players he has. If he has the players' respect and backing they'll want to do better for him. If they don't - they won't play as well as they can. Management, good management, is important.

Perhaps Wick Academy need a foreign coach: someone from outwith the county. Just kidding, folks.

I am impressed with your knowlege of the game, so can you explain to myself and my friend Squidge the "Offside Rule"

Golach

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Jan-05, 15:27
OK.

Two teams. Both have 11 players on each side. Let's call them Team A and Team B.

If a player from Team A passes the ball to a fellow team member - while there's no players from Team B between him and the goalkeeper of Team B... then it's offside.

Simple.

squidge
20-Jan-05, 15:48
I am impressed with your knowlege of the game, so can you explain to myself and my friend Squidge the "Offside Rule"

Golach

hey Golach - i understand the offside rule just fine........

mike.mckenzie
20-Jan-05, 16:22
I hear a German fella called Berti Vogts is available. But if he isn't interested I have a fine record in Championship / Football manager many managers would be envious of!

apollo69
20-Jan-05, 17:26
The problem at Academy is not the manager, it is higher up in the heirarchy (I think everybody knows the real problem). The manager has a limited pool of players to choose from compared to nearly every other club in the league. There may be a few players in Caithness who could improve things, but they will not play because of the Thurso/ Wick thing, or the 'other problem'. Academy tried bringing in players from South years ago and spent a fortune and took years to recover (they still never really did anything of note, although their league position was better admittedly). I don't know if changing the manager will make any difference unless the chairman and his cronies go first. Otherwise a new manager inherits the same squad and the same problems.

Pepsi Challenge - not too bad, but not 100% correct either on the offside rule! The goalkeeper is irrelevant, there must be two players between the player receiving the pass and the goal-line.However if he is level with the second one (the one furthest from the line) he is ONSIDE. If one of them is the 'keeper that is okay but it could be two defenders. Also the ball must be played forward and the receiver must be in the opposition half when the ball is played to be caught offside. Sorry to be pedantic! It's a complicated thing to explain!!

M.V Girl Erin
20-Jan-05, 19:01
I think the problem with the Academy lies within there inability to master a bit of Public Relations which has plagued the club since they first entered the Highland league.

Brizer2k2
20-Jan-05, 20:51
Near the top of this post by "The Pepsi Challenge" it was mentioned that the winner of the North Caley League should be promoted and the bottom team in the Highland league gets relegated to The NCL.

This would only apply to one team as far as I know and that would be Golspie Sutherland as they are the only team with flood lights.

This is in the pipeline with Thurso F.C but serious funding needs to be found and also there are several other stipulations for joining the Highland League such as covered seating and boundries of the playing area and you need to charge people to enter the ground.

Most NCL clubs play on public parks, school grounds etc and would need to do a lot of building work to bring their grounds up to the required standard.

Zael
21-Jan-05, 16:53
What a great read on the front page of todays groat!!!!!

Chairman & secretary should have been replaced long ago and I think that now that this has become public, many others on the board of Wick Academy should be starting to get their stories straight as to why they have allowed this to go on for so many years. A full change of committee would seem to be in order, if not at least to aid in the continuance of the club and its more positive activities. I'm pretty sure that a great deal of mistrust now exists between the outside world and many members of the Academy board.

If even a fraction of the rumours I've heard about the goings on are true then I won't be surprised to see at least 2 people go to jail and many others heavily implicated in some very foul play.

Gogglebox
21-Jan-05, 17:38
Id be interested to know what their transactions involving their operation of the County Show Bar threw up
Having had the opportunity to see some of the nifty footwork and creative accounting, they undertook this last few years
There are too many people lurching back and fore on the same committees,
Conflicts of interests everywhere
Where does all the money go to?
Time to clear out and start afresh

girnigoe
21-Jan-05, 22:54
Apollo69 - Just being nosey here!! Whats the "other problem" ? :confused

apollo69
21-Jan-05, 23:38
Well, if you haven't worked it out from my post, or the others after that, read the front page of todays Groat! The club CANNOT run properly as long as these people have control.

Goldfish
23-Jan-05, 22:06
Still no sign of a special AGM I would have thought that the chairman would have got the message by now