PDA

View Full Version : Anti histamines for dogs

cuddlepop
23-Jun-12, 18:07
Unfortunatly its that time of year again and Scorrie is scratching like a dog possessed.

Its not fleas or ticks he's been treated so its something that appears every summer that he's allergic too,this is his third summer with us and everyones the same.

It would cost a fortune to identifi what he's allergic too so surely by giving him an anti histamine that will relieve the itch.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thank you.

Tilly Teckel
23-Jun-12, 19:15
My dachshund had the same trouble for a couple of years, an allergic reaction to something and a nasty rash on her tummy. I gave her a Benadryl tablet once a day during the summer and it cleared up within a couple of days and stayed away. There are probably those who will jump on me and say you shouldn't give human meds to dogs but I did and it worked fine with no ill effects.

cuddlepop
23-Jun-12, 19:21
My dachshund had the same trouble for a couple of years, an allergic reaction to something and a nasty rash on her tummy. I gave her a Benadryl tablet once a day during the summer and it cleared up within a couple of days and stayed away. There are probably those who will jump on me and say you shouldn't give human meds to dogs but I did and it worked fine with no ill effects.

I.m not going to jump down your throat because I've threatened to do the same.

Oh going to Pets at Home tomorrow and see what they say but I bet pet anti histamine same as humans only treble the cost.

Southern-Gal
23-Jun-12, 21:11
Grass pollen is a common allergy in dogs I believe.
Ive known people who use the syrup for children as it is easier to mix in a bit of food.
I also know someone who uses three a day on a pony with summer itch on vets advice.

cuddlepop
23-Jun-12, 21:48
We suspect its the beach hedge in the back garden but want to isolate it before when take it down.
If we take the hedge out and he's still scratching we cant stick it back in.

Its worse just now and the hedge is in full leaf.

Thats interesting about the grass pollen allergy.

Dadie
23-Jun-12, 22:13
What is Scorrie?
Westies are bad for grass pollen allergies.
The test might be expensive, but, would give you an idea in what triggers the allergy.
Before you remove the hedge or he removes his hair with scratching!
The kids piriton syrup is good...dosage might be hard to work out though....

cuddlepop
23-Jun-12, 22:45
Scorries a beardie collie cross,one of Kathy's from Watten.

Ive no idea what he was like his first summer as it was September we homed him.

Dadie
23-Jun-12, 22:56
Beardie collie sounds more like a farm dog and D.... dogs than hers!
But the kiddy liquid piriton is great ...I use it on my rescue lab when needed ....the dosage is weight dependent really by age bands....
Reckon a collie about a 2 yo in weight....for dosage!

cuddlepop
24-Jun-12, 08:11
Beardie collie sounds more like a farm dog and D.... dogs than hers!
But the kiddy liquid piriton is great ...I use it on my rescue lab when needed ....the dosage is weight dependent really by age bands....
Reckon a collie about a 2 yo in weight....for dosage!

Its a long story with our Scorrie but honestly he's one of Kathys,think another pup in the litter was called Polo Bear,he's4.

From the web site I found its suppose to be 1mg to a 1ib in weight but that seems high.