PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a dog

The Flea
22-Jun-12, 18:24
I am looking to get a dog for my Autistic son who is 6 years old. Does anyone have experience with types of breeds which would be good. We would like an intelligent, easy to train and friendly kind of breed but not sure what would be best.

Southern-Gal
22-Jun-12, 18:50
Have a look at this.

http://muttnews.wordpress.com/2012/06/17/a-friend-like-henry-golden-retriever-makes-life-better-for-boy-with-autism/

I would recommend a Goldren Retriever, such forgiving dogs. The only drawback is that the vacuum will always need emptying!

miss_mcd
22-Jun-12, 19:00
Yes Retrievers are a good breed to pick, they are intelligent, loyal, loveable animals! Or Border Collies, also intelligent and easy to train type of breed!

hope this helps!

andrew.bowles30
23-Jun-12, 00:03
well i have to border collies and they are well trained intelligent and easy to handle

Dadie
23-Jun-12, 01:04
labs and labradoodles have the right temperments so do a lot of springer spaniels..
Its a case of fitting the right dog to the situation..
An gun retrieving dog to a helping doing/going dog that can handle anything and is possibily bomb proof is near impossible to get .,,,but one willing to learn and fit in is easier.........
Get a fetch dog with a soft mouth if you can as they are more forgiving...........and dont snap or bite unless under real stress!

cuddlepop
24-Jun-12, 13:55
We've alwas had a collie and its been my daughters best and only friend at times.

In my experience kids with Autism and dogs are the best of friends.

Our older collie still wants to play football as thats what the pair of them done in the past when no one would play with my daughter.

Good luck in your search,