PDA

View Full Version : Reward offered for information leading to prosecution

Thumper
21-Jun-12, 15:00
I am looking for information about someone who is deliberately harming my cat,by shaving his back! It has happened numerous times and quite frankly I am fed up with it now! Police and SSPCA are aware but so far nothing has been done,so I am now trying to get something done myself.
PLEASE dont tell me to keep the cat in etc,I have tried and he gets so aggressive that its simply not worth it! To be honest I dont see why I have to imprison my cat because of some sad individual out there with a grudge!
This is happening in the Castletown area,and happens very frequently,although it did stop for about 5 weeks or so,but its now happening again!

If you know anything about this,who it is,then please come forward to either me,the police or the SSPCA,a reward will be given for information that leads to prosecution.Your privacy will be kept intact x

RecQuery
21-Jun-12, 16:13
I'd have thought a cat wouldn't sit still to be shaved. Anyway your best bet is to try to match the pattern to the activity of a person or group of people, put in an official written complaint to the police might help also.

Thumper
21-Jun-12, 16:17
I have had that arguement with the cat....silly boy seems to sit happily while they maim him! Its not the whole cat they shave though,just a stripe of varying size and width each time,so I guess sometimes he doesnt sit quite so happily for them!x

Tilly Teckel
21-Jun-12, 19:10
Who have you annoyed recently?

George Brims
21-Jun-12, 19:20
Can we see a picture of the molested moggie?

Thumper
21-Jun-12, 20:36
Tilly-yip I know,and it is a possiblity lol,although very sad of them if they have done that to retaliate!

George-I will try and get one x

Angel
21-Jun-12, 23:15
We spotted a shaved cat in Halkirk this week...

And no, the spots don't show...lol...

Angel...

Thumper
22-Jun-12, 08:31
14187here is a photo of current damage x

aidipi
22-Jun-12, 11:24
Hope they find the culprit. it is an obvious case of cruelty. BTW My cat has been shaved recently (for an operation~) and I live in Halkirk!

Thumper
22-Jun-12, 11:42
Thanks,I have been trying to "catch" whoever it is for months now,this has been done to my cat around about 10 times now! Police cant do anything,SSPCA cant find any evidence so I am trying this to see if anyone comes forward,my poor cat has been shaved so close to the skin at times that he licks it until it goes sore and weeps,it is quite frankly disgusting,childish and sick x

Rheghead
22-Jun-12, 17:10
Isn't there a GPS camera thing on the internet being sold that tracks where a pet cat wanders?

That said, could it be just a dogooder's ill judged attempt at grooming? My old cat had a few matted patches and I shaved them off and I think I over did it in a few places! lol

Southern-Gal
22-Jun-12, 18:46
Might the cat not be over grooming itself?
They can look shaved when they do this.

suzyq
22-Jun-12, 20:16
Are you absolutely sure it has been shaved? Does the RSPCA agree it was shaved and what does the vet say?

Reason I ask is one of our toms cats had a recurring bare patch on his back. Because the bare patches appeared periodically we initially thought he was singeing himself on hot exhaust pipes (he loved to spend his time with Dad when he was working on cars). Turned out it was a spasmodic hormone problem and hairs were breaking off as they emerged through the skin. Excessive grooming of the area didn't help either and could trigger an allergic reaction perpetuating the problem.

brandy
23-Jun-12, 00:07
if thats the back of the neck where it looks like it is.. cats cant reach there to lick.. its why you put the spot on there. ... but, i know of other people who have had their moggys shaved up here in recent months. a friend of mine posted a pic on face book about it with her cat.

teddybear1873
23-Jun-12, 01:57
Annoys the crap out of me big time when I hear things about animals. We had a problem a good few years when a neighbour dowsed our cat in petrol. Gladly the person was caught and prosecuted. I have zero tolerance in animal cruelty. The sentences should be heavier though.

Thumper
23-Jun-12, 10:48
Hi everyone,the police and sspca have both looked at the cat,and agreed that its shaved,at first we thought he had been burnt by an exhaust too,but its in the exact same place every time it happens,and he can go out perfect and arrive home a couple hours later with the bit shaved,always in the same place,just varies in length and width.Sometimes he arrives home with a small bit done and then a few days later he arrives home again with it bigger and longer! You can sometimes see the actual blade marks in his hair,and a few times his has actually been cut! I just want to fnd out who is doing it and get them stopped! x

DanaFlett
23-Jun-12, 14:59
Good luck with finding who ever is doing this to you cat,am stunned to think that folks would do this to an animal,shocking it really is.

Southern-Gal
23-Jun-12, 15:27
Is it possible that someone think they are doing the cat a favour by cutting back the hair and putting a Spot On treatment on it?
Does he go elswhere to eat? We had one disappearing a lot, one day he came home with a fancy collar on, he obviously had two homes?

Has anyone read 'Six Dinners Sid'?

linnie612
23-Jun-12, 15:41
Has anyone read 'Six Dinners Sid'?

Hope that's a cat/dog, not a ferral bloke!:lol:

It could be someone trying to treat the cat, but the shaved bit seems awfully long to me.

newweecroft
23-Jun-12, 17:56
Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not condoning the behaviour. I just think I may have an idea as to the reasoning.

We have terrible trouble with cats, although in our case they are feral, tearing open the bin bags(now that collections are fortnightly we find it necessary to take a few bags to the tip as well) and if a particular cat were being a nuisance and it was a cat with an owner some people may want to encourage you to limit its range and shaving it would be a non invasive way of doing this. Bear in mind many would poison or shoot offenders particularly repeated offenders. I would in your shoes consider the person doing this to be quite kind as they are only encouraging you to keep him in, you may want to consider the alternative to these actions if he persists in what is obviously upsetting someone.

I have a beautiful longhaired tabby who has been part of the family for 10years and who I dote on, but I see no need to let her out to desolate the local song bird population or foul in children's sand pits etc. It's easy enough to put some netting over a small garden or put up one of these mesh greenhouse looking things.

Thumper
23-Jun-12, 18:15
He doesnt go anywhere to eat,and definately not someone trying to put spot on on him,as it happens too often,sometimes twice in a week,or 2-3 times in a month,whereas spot on is only every 3 months,I am pretty sure that they are doing it to annoy me rather than anything as there are a lot of cats in my street and mine is the only one "attacked" x

Baconbuttie
23-Jun-12, 20:37
Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not condoning the behaviour. I just think I may have an idea as to the reasoning.

We have terrible trouble with cats, although in our case they are feral, tearing open the bin bags(now that collections are fortnightly we find it necessary to take a few bags to the tip as well) and if a particular cat were being a nuisance and it was a cat with an owner some people may want to encourage you to limit its range and shaving it would be a non invasive way of doing this. Bear in mind many would poison or shoot offenders particularly repeated offenders. I would in your shoes consider the person doing this to be quite kind as they are only encouraging you to keep him in, you may want to consider the alternative to these actions if he persists in what is obviously upsetting someone.

I have a beautiful longhaired tabby who has been part of the family for 10years and who I dote on, but I see no need to let her out to desolate the local song bird population or foul in children's sand pits etc. It's easy enough to put some netting over a small garden or put up one of these mesh greenhouse looking things.

I agree, cats can do a lot of damage to wildlife and other peoples property. Surely if you care about a cat you should care about its safety and not allow it to roam free and possibly get run over, it always seems to be the drivers fault and not the irresponsible cat owners. Dogs have to be kept under control and cleaned up after so why are cats allowed to roam free and poop anywhere they like.

Southern-Gal
23-Jun-12, 21:07
Hope that's a cat/dog, not a ferral bloke!:lol:

It could be someone trying to treat the cat, but the shaved bit seems awfully long to me.

Sid is indeed a cat :)

On the loose cats thing it is not really easy to stop a cat doing what it wants like it is with a dog which is why the laws on them differ. I 'think' that if they are a nuisance they are officially classed as vermin and can be treated as such, not so with a dog, even a stray. So dogs get a bit more protection, cats get a bit more freedom.

You could put a note on his collar asking if your cat is being a nuisance to anyone please can they contact you so that you can sort out a solution. If they can get hold of him to shave him then they can read a note :)

oldmarine
23-Jun-12, 21:11

We are well pleased with our well-trained house cat.

newweecroft
24-Jun-12, 00:52
As do we, they soon learn. Our lady will sit at the open window or lie on the door mat at the open kitchen door for hours without straying further. The only time she will venture out is if we are sat out having lunch in the garden.A little social imprinting goes a long way, if they see you as family and not just a can opener its easy. Too many owners buy the kitty and then just leave it to its own devices, wrong.The note on the collar is an excellent idea, particularly a proper tag.It wouldn't hurt to clip his claws either, it will greatly reduce climbing ability which will minimise how many obstacles he can get over. May keep him out the garden of his 'New best friend'.

squidge
24-Jun-12, 09:48
We have a cat. He is kept by us for his ability to catch and eat mice. We love him and he gets cuddles and petted and played with and he gets plenty to eatbut he loves being outside and climbing trees and and catching mice. He is the best mouser we have ever had - except for Henry who was a good mouser but a terrible thief and hated being petted he had been a stray and was a mean thing - i was terribly fond of him though - he was such a misery lol. I wouldnt dream of having a cat and keeping it in all the time. I know its the fashion these days with such expensive breeds but give me a mischievious tom cat any day of the week.

The note thing is a good idea. I once had a ginger tom - a bit of a bruiser really - called Garfield and one day he came back with a sparkly pink collar on! My husband was a bit offended that someone thought our big butch cat had been given a sparkly pink collar. I wrote a wee poem and explained very nicely that the cat had a home already and i got a wee poem back and this went on for a couple of days and I made a new friend out of it. This situation calls for a slightly more serious approach but might work.

_Ju_
24-Jun-12, 10:41
Tubthumper, are you sure it is being shaved off and not burnt off? I have see cats with hair burnt off in a linear pattern when they have had a near miss on being run over on the road. If he is an intact male he might be running on the road quite often, and ducking when cars approach, but being just touched with a glancing blow by the bottom of the car?

Thumper
24-Jun-12, 11:13
Its definately not burnt off,and he is definately not intact so he doesnt wander as such,just in the cull de sac we live in.There is a resident stray who lives here too,been reported loads of times but never been caught,infact he actually came in my house one day and destroyed my kitchen!My cat loves to be out but as far as I know (and I know everyone in the street) has never been a nuisance to anyone at all,I will try the note approach and see if it helps,but I doubt it will as I feel this is being done to annoy me,and as some PM's have suggested I am not the only one in the village that thinks that,I will be passing that information onto the police on Monday. I do try and keep him in as much as possible,but at the end of the day I didnt get a cat to in prison it as they are meant to get out and enjoy life,without having half their hair hacked off just for fun.
I actually saw him walk down the street one day,and half the fur was hanging off in tufts down his back,so he had obviosuly been "done" in the few minutes beforehand and still had the evidence hanging off him :( x

Moira
24-Jun-12, 22:24
Good Luck Thumper.

Reading this thread makes my stomach churn.

I've not had cats for a few years but I detest any form of cruelty!