PDA

View Full Version : Youth of today

billmoseley
19-Jun-12, 20:12
Well today i was sat in a car park in Thurso having my sandwiches reading the paper when a youth with souped car turned up and parked near by then another 2 who parked with him. I thought to my self there goes my relaxing lunch break. But no they sat chatted ate their chips drank their drinks had a fag. After 1/2 an hour and i still find this hard to believe the first lad got out of his car with a carrier bag collected his rubbish and that of his friends and went and put it in the bin. What is it they say don't judge a book bye it's cover.

baileys Bhoy
19-Jun-12, 21:26
Another great saying.... Don't tarnish all young folk with the same brush!! Some are different and respectfull its only a select few who choose not to be... I myself was always brought up to respect others and to leave a place as I found it..... I am young and often look at some my own age miss treating things/people and I often roll my eyes and walk the opposite way, I am also a mother who intends to bring my daughter up the same way I was. I am forever hopeful that others will do the same.

highland red
19-Jun-12, 22:02
Well today i was sat in a car park in Thurso having my sandwiches reading the paper when a youth with souped car turned up and parked near by then another 2 who parked with him. I thought to my self there goes my relaxing lunch break. But no they sat chatted ate their chips drank their drinks had a fag. After 1/2 an hour and i still find this hard to believe the first lad got out of his car with a carrier bag collected his rubbish and that of his friends and went and put it in the bin. What is it they say don't judge a book bye it's cover.

Great post: and nice to hear. I must admit I really think that the youngsters up here are an awful long way from the very "hard bitten" soulless types that appears to be the norm elsewhere. Lovely positive post.

Dadie
19-Jun-12, 22:04
Some boys take extra pride in their love of their life....their car!
Some are nice anyway....
Some know about picking up litter.
Its the minority that you hear about doing antisocial stuff that tarnish the rest.
Good story (dont know if its true as its been circulating for ages now) A lady is walking home alone in the evening, and sees a group of youths in hoodies, and feels scared and walks on faster then crosses the road to avoid them....one shouts over to her....mum are you ok?

Gronnuck
19-Jun-12, 23:16
The truth is there are more 'good' young people than there is bad. Most 'yoofs' are a credit to their parents and their community. But these youngsters rarely get credit because their stories don't sell newspapers. The media has a lot to answer for!

sids
19-Jun-12, 23:20
Well today i was sat in a car park in Thurso having my sandwiches reading the paper.

You should get yerself a car.

Alrock
20-Jun-12, 00:01
You should get yerself a car.

Maybe some 'yoofs' stole it....
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

oldmarine
20-Jun-12, 00:42
[QUOTE=billmoseley;958480]Well today i was sat in a car park in Thurso having my sandwiches reading the paper when a youth with souped car turned up and parked near by then another 2 who parked with him. I thought to my self there goes my relaxing lunch break. But no they sat chatted ate their chips drank their drinks had a fag. After 1/2 an hour and i still find this hard to believe the first lad got out of his car with a carrier bag collected his rubbish and that of his friends and went and put it in the bin. What is it they say don't judge a book bye it's cover.[/QUOT
I believe you can credit the parents for children's good behavior. The same for children with bad behavior. Children learn from the examples set for them. That is my opinion.

billmoseley
20-Jun-12, 17:07
You should get yerself a car. i was sat on my bus lolololol

RecQuery
21-Jun-12, 09:43
Lots of older people tend to view those younger than them with contempt. I'm 27 and I remember similar various things being said about my age group when we were younger.

Socrates, 4th Century BCE:

The children now love luxury; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in places of exercise. Children are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when their elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties [food] at the table, cross their legs and tyrannise their teachers

Funnily enough he'd be speaking about the generation Plato was a member of.

Plato, 4th Century BCE:

What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?
Seneca, 1st Century CE:

Our young men have grown slothful. There is not a single honourable occupation for which they will toil night and day. They sing and dance and grow effeminate and curl their hair and learn womanish tricks of speech; They are as languid as women and deck themselves out with unbecoming ornaments. Without strength, without energy, they add nothing during life to the gifts with which they were born - then they complain of their lot

There are lots more similar quotes from all throughout history.

Gronnuck
21-Jun-12, 14:24
Lots of older people tend to view those younger than them with contempt. I'm 27 and I remember similar various things being said about my age group when we were younger.

Contempt? That’s a bit strong. I’m in my sixties and have rarely viewed anyone younger than me with contempt. I’ve worked with people of all ages in a variety of places in a variety of countries and found them to be interesting, humorous and often exhilarating. Occasionally I’ve viewed young people with bewilderment, and sometimes concern but never with any kind of hatred.

Thumper
21-Jun-12, 15:06
I think its daft the blame the parents,I have 3 kids,all brought up by me and all different!Yes how they are brought up does help,but it cannot be held to blame for everything they do,kids are individuals and as so act differently in each situation! My oldest is polite,well mannered,thoughtful and mature,my middle one is not quite the same,although they had the exact same parenting!He is still well mannered,caring etc but can be a little more "wild" at times,while my youngest is very thoughtful,caring and mild mannered,although when pushed he can lose his temper,so if the parenting was the same with all three,why are they different? x

golach
21-Jun-12, 15:50

Socrates, 4th Century BCE:

Funnily enough he'd be speaking about the generation Plato was a member of.

Plato, 4th Century BCE:

Seneca, 1st Century CE:

There are lots more similar quotes from all throughout history.

Strange that the youth throughout the ages have never learnt any lessons from this, and are still doing today what was done 20 centuries ago

RecQuery
21-Jun-12, 16:11
Strange that the youth throughout the ages have never learnt any lessons from this, and are still doing today what was done 20 centuries ago

I'm really hoping you're making a joke.

golach
21-Jun-12, 18:53
I'm really hoping you're making a joke.

Why would I make a joke about the lack of respect shown by many, but not all, of the younger generation to their Elders?

oldmarine
22-Jun-12, 05:05
Contempt? That’s a bit strong. I’m in my sixties and have rarely viewed anyone younger than me with contempt. I’ve worked with people of all ages in a variety of places in a variety of countries and found them to be interesting, humorous and often exhilarating. Occasionally I’ve viewed young people with bewilderment, and sometimes concern but never with any kind of hatred.
I am 87 years of age with children, grandchildren, and greatgrandchildren. I certainly don't want to be counted among those who would show contempt toward children.

RecQuery
22-Jun-12, 11:27
Why would I make a joke about the lack of respect shown by many, but not all, of the younger generation to their Elders?

Well there's only so far down the level of 'respect' can go and if all of the quotes from various illustrious people are to be believed then we're in Lord of the Flies territory at this point or more likely they were over reacting because the youth of their days didn't conform precisely to their preconceived notions etc.

On a side not, respect is earned not freely given. I'll be civil to anyone as a default state. Just because you happen to be older that doesn't freely entitle you to a persons response.

billmoseley
22-Jun-12, 14:01
how did praising young lads in my first statement end up with quotes from history. no matter what history says of how parent bring up these kids what these lads did on monday just deserved to be noticed

ducati
22-Jun-12, 20:35
Bill, you only noticed and commented because their behaviour was unexpected. This shows the general behavior of the yobs in the area is usually appalling. Sit in that carpark most days and you will see it is business as usual.:lol:

billmoseley
22-Jun-12, 21:03
Bill, you only noticed and commented because their behaviour was unexpected. This shows the general behavior of the yobs in the area is usually appalling. Sit in that carpark most days and you will see it is business as usual.:lol: i sit there a couple of times a week and never seen anything untoward going on with the younger ones. it was unexpected but so nice to see.

RecQuery
25-Jun-12, 08:15
i sit there a couple of times a week and never seen anything untoward going on with the younger ones. it was unexpected but so nice to see.

My post was actually backing up your statement, that older generations seems to think all young people are yobs. It's nothing new though, it's a misconception that's been going for a while as illustrated by those quotes.

ducati
25-Jun-12, 21:41
My post was actually backing up your statement, that older generations seems to think all young people are yobs. It's nothing new though, it's a misconception that's been going for a while as illustrated by those quotes.

It's no misconception on my part

Lingland
26-Jun-12, 12:12
Thank you. Im sure that happens more than we realise its just that nobody thinks to highlight it. Why dont we all try and post more positive things. :)