PDA

View Full Version : Mean Council

Fran
15-Jun-12, 01:28
Robbie has been dead for nearly five years now, and I have received a letter from the Highland Council demanding £35.24 council tax money he was due to pay when he died.I think this is mean and nasty and very upsetting. why hVE THEY WAITED FIVE YEARS?Is this happening to others?

Gronnuck
15-Jun-12, 07:20
My condolences for your loss. Unfortunately this is one of those ‘between a rock and a hard place’ situations. When would be a good time to collect arrears? In the immediate aftermath of a family bereavement the Council would be accused of insensitivity. It looks very much as if the account has not been revisited in all this time which warrants an explanation.

poppett
15-Jun-12, 11:37
When my brother in law died in Inverness the council had a final council tax demand in the door within three days of his cremation.

My granny was still getting letters about the former tenant in her house who died and was buried by social services as he had no family. The council demanded a forwarding address for MrC and I rattled off his plot number at Tomnahurich cemetery which the clerkess duly entered into the computer and no further letters arrived in granny`s door....I often wonder if there is a pile of mail at the gravestone.

It just goes from the sublime to the rediculous.

Sorry for your upset Fran. Wonder if they would have ever told you if there was a credit to be returned to Robbie`s estate.

I can only assume this was picked up with an internal audit.

billmoseley
15-Jun-12, 18:33
report it to the press and watch the council back track. it's awful being pursued after this long.

Rheghead
15-Jun-12, 22:35
If you are worried about this council tax demand being upsetting then my advice would be to just pay it quietly and get on with your life provided of course that you agree that the amount is still owed. It is not an awful amount and the more you make a fuss about it then it may backfire on how you feel and you may wish you had paid it without question. I know it doesn't seem right about the time taken for the council to get around to demanding it but as already said they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Dadie
15-Jun-12, 22:45
It should have been settled with his "estate" but might have been overlooked at those sad times.
But the timing will have brought all the raw feelings back to the surface.
They might have been having a purge on outstanding arrears which explains why the letter arrived now.
Anyway its not a drastic amount to be overlooked...though not nice to be reminded in such a way.
Isnt it easier to pay the money and have it filed as done!

sassylass
15-Jun-12, 22:56
It's good advice to just pay it and move on.

Fran
16-Jun-12, 00:14
When I posted this, I was thinking how upsetting this must be for elderly people after such a time. I have paid the bill, but just concerned at not being asked to before this. They asked for rent a month after his death, which wasnt owed. Oh well, thats life, but as I said, a bit cruel on elderly people.