PDA

View Full Version : You think your getting ripped off. Ohhhh no your not.

teddybear1873
14-Jun-12, 12:17
Man am I livid and cheesed off. I am moving next week to another area and just found out I can only get one internet service provider. 80 bloody dollars for 10mb speed, per month. If I want 20mb it's well over $120.

I am paying at the moment just over $50 for a 30mb speed with Time Warner.

That's my little rant and moan over. I am now going to take my frustration out on by throwing darts at Justin Bieber :roll:

RecQuery
14-Jun-12, 13:44
Man am I livid and cheesed off. I am moving next week to another area and just found out I can only get one internet service provider. 80 bloody dollars for 10mb speed, per month. If I want 20mb it's well over $120.

I am paying at the moment just over $50 for a 30mb speed with Time Warner.

That's my little rant and moan over. I am now going to take my frustration out on by throwing darts at Justin Bieber :roll:

Broadband in the US can be particularly bad, the telecomms companies there even lobby state legislatures to make community fibre projects illegal. That seems like the definition of anti-competitive practises to me.

George Brims
14-Jun-12, 20:41
Wow Teddybear where are you? Here in the 'burbs of LA we have Verizon FIOS. I'm getting TV, including expanded sports (gotta get mah F1!), internet (bloody fast, don't know the numbers) and phone with free nationwide long distance and 2hrs free a month on the international, so we hardly ever pay any per minute charges. Costs me just under $170/month. Oh yes and the TV is HD with a DVR. Dropped Time Warner just because of how much I could save by bundling all this together, but was quite happy with the TV and internet service from them. TW have fiber all the way to the box at the sidewalk, and Verizon all the way to the box they put on the side of the house, so speed is not an issue.

teddybear1873
15-Jun-12, 02:48
Wow Teddybear where are you? Here in the 'burbs of LA we have Verizon FIOS. I'm getting TV, including expanded sports (gotta get mah F1!), internet (bloody fast, don't know the numbers) and phone with free nationwide long distance and 2hrs free a month on the international, so we hardly ever pay any per minute charges. Costs me just under $170/month. Oh yes and the TV is HD with a DVR. Dropped Time Warner just because of how much I could save by bundling all this together, but was quite happy with the TV and internet service from them. TW have fiber all the way to the box at the sidewalk, and Verizon all the way to the box they put on the side of the house, so speed is not an issue.

At the moment George I live in Summerville SC. Moving to Bluffton SC which is less that 2 hrs away. I can't get any other company. For some stupid reason, Beaufort County only allows Hargray for internet service. Just as well I can get Directv or my Tv, phone and internet would be sky high.

George Brims
15-Jun-12, 19:45
Yes it's weird that even though there's supposedly complete de-regulation of cable services, most people live in areas where there's only one choice. We're very lucky. Some years ago when cable was Adelphia (now taken over by Time Warner), Verizon dug up our streets and put in fibre. They started offering an alternative to Adelphia. We didn't go for it but my boss did. Nine months later the dot-com bubble burst and Verizon dropped the whole idea. Adelphia bought the hardware and took back the customers. TW then gradually transferred the rest of us onto the former Verizon hardware, which gave us clearer TV (pre-HD) and faster internet. Ten years go by and Verizon dig the whole place up *again* and install new fibre, and start offering the FIOS service. So we actually do have competition, but most people in the LA area are in big zones where it's either Charter cable or TW, with the Verizon FIOS appearing very slowly.