PDA

View Full Version : Sowing grass seed for a new lawn.

JNMWick
13-Jun-12, 19:14
I'm looking to finally get my garden sorted out after moving in to a new house.

I had organised for someone to come in and tidy up the garden, level it all off and prepare it for sowing grass for my new lawn. Is it worth while me sowing it at this time of year? Someone had told me to leave it until Autumn although I wanted to crack on so I might have a nice lawn by then.

What's people opinions on sowing grass seed this time of year? Will it be ok or should I wait? When is the best time?

Also any advice on where to get good seed from and what type of grass to go for?

This is the first time I have done this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Alrock
13-Jun-12, 19:31
Doing pretty much the same myself...
Just bought some ALL PURPOSE GRASS SEED - 5KG - KISS MY GRASS (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110890029887)(Variety: Hard Wearing) of ebay.
Will be watching this thread for any useful tips.

Stargazer
13-Jun-12, 20:56
There is no reason to wait for autumn, I recommend sowing now. The soil is moist and hopefully we'll get some more seasonal summer weather. You should be able to get several cuts in by autumn and have a decent lawn to look at over the winter.

JNMWick
14-Jun-12, 08:29
Thanks Satrgazer for your input. This would be my preffered option to go ahead now.

Any other opinions or tips as to get a perfect lawn!!

billmoseley
14-Jun-12, 17:08
i put grass seed down 10 days ago and now have the starts of a green lawn keep the soil damp but not too wet and it should come though no problem watch the birds they love grass seed

egregory
14-Jun-12, 19:17
Yes, sow your grass seed now. I this time of year before with no problems. Allans of Gillock sell large bags of seed.

annemarie482
14-Jun-12, 20:10
bung it in!
we put ours in during the summer, 2 years ago, and have a cracking lawn, no problems at all :)

billmoseley
16-Jun-12, 20:09
grrrrrrrrrr keep chickens off it too 2 mins and they have ruined part of it